Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 12:09 PM

764 posts, read 235,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
One does not create a registry unless there is some sort of licensing system in place to determine who should be allowed a license. A licensing system, by its nature, would filter out people who probably shouldn't really be allowed to own a gun, in the same way a driver's license filters out some people who probably shouldn't be allowed to drive. Sure, the registry is just a list, but to get on the list you'd have to jump through some hoops. Those hoops can be designed to screen out people who, for various reasons, are risky to allow gun ownership.

I would argue that the current background checks we have create a de-facto "registry." If you have not committed certain kinds of crimes and are not on any sort of terrorist watch list, etc., you are good to go. An actual registry would just formalize the people who would be "good to go."
We have the "hoops", that is the purpose of a background check. A registry is a list of firearms and owners that can be accessed by "authorities". If you pass a background check and are O.K. to purchase a firearm, then why does the government need to know what firearms you possess, if not for a means of confiscation.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Here would be another advantage of a registry:

Currently, every time you buy a gun, you need to go through a background check. If you buy a gun today, you need to go through a background check. Then if you want to buy another one next month or next year, you need to go through another background check.

With a licensing system and registry, once you have a gun ownership license, you do not need to go through any additional background checks. You would just go into a gun store, show them your license, and you can buy whatever you want right away. Frankly, it would eliminate the need for background checks altogether, because the process of screening out people when they apply for a license would replace background checks for individual purchases.
You can have this without a registry...…… use a CC permit as your license. It is treated almost as such in many states now. For instance, here in Florida I have no waiting period to purchase, I only wait until the NICS goes through and walk out with the firearm. No need of a registry...………… if I am ok to possess firearms there is no reason for anyone to know how many or of what sort.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:14 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
We have the "hoops", that is the purpose of a background check. A registry is a list of firearms and owners that can be accessed by "authorities". If you pass a background check and are O.K. to purchase a firearm, then why does the government need to know what firearms you possess, if not for a means of confiscation.
That would be like asking why does the government not confiscate our cars since we are on their list of people who are OK to drive?

Your response is 100% pure paranoia.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
You can have this without a registry...…… use a CC permit as your license. It is treated almost as such in many states now. For instance, here in Florida I have no waiting period to purchase, I only wait until the NICS goes through and walk out with the firearm. No need of a registry...………… if I am ok to possess firearms there is no reason for anyone to know how many or of what sort.
If you have a CC permit you are already on a government list - a list of people who have CC permits!

A registry is just a list. You are already on multiple government lists and you probably haven't even thought about it.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That would be like asking why does the government not confiscate our cars since we are on their list of people who are OK to drive?

Your response is 100% pure paranoia.
There is not a group of the population trying to restrict ownership of automobiles....

Old 04-02-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
There is not a group of the population trying to restrict ownership of automobiles....
As I said, your response is 100% paranoia.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
If you have a CC permit you are already on a government list - a list of people who have CC permits!

A registry is just a list. You are already on multiple government lists and you probably haven't even thought about it.
AHHHH, but they do not know what firearms you own, or how many...….. and if we are already on a list, then that should be enough. Yes?

Old 04-02-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
As I said, your response is 100% paranoia.
This is your opinion and you are entitled to it, however baseless.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
AHHHH, but they do not know what firearms you own, or how many...….. and if we are already on a list, then that should be enough. Yes?
When you get a driver's license the state does not ask you what kind of and how many cars you own. In fact, you don't even need to own a car at all! A firearms-owning-license could be just the same.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:22 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
100%. But how are they getting the ammunition?

There are loopholes that need to be closed concerning buying guns. Nobody wants to take guns away from law abiding citizens, but something has to be done with the irresponsible owners whose teenagers are getting access to the guns and committing crime.

We have to look at Sandy Hook and Adam Lanza. Red flag number one was the lengthy information he had compiled on mass shooting. His mother knew that her son had some psychiatric issues, yet, guns were all over the house and easily accessible to Adam. I think stricter laws are needed for irresponsible parents that don't properly secure their weapons.

Here's a problem with loopholes.

All federally licensed gun sellers are required to run back ground checks, but no all sellers are required to be licensed and can sell guns at shows. Why?

Anyone can sell a gun over the internet without a license. Why?

How do we know how many licensed sellers there are vs unlicensed? Well we don't know.

So how do we deal with nut jobs and firearms? Irresponsible gun owners who ignore their loved ones mental health issue, yet allow them access to guns? Gang bangers with easy access to guns?

What if we try a different approach and regulate the ammunition? You want bullets? Prove that you passed a background check and have purchased the firearm from a licensed dealer. How about charging anyone that allows a loved one access to guns that kill be charged as well?

What we have now is a dysfunctional system that allows criminals and the mentally ill easy access to guns. That has to change.
You cannot regulate something you can easily make yourself. I've been making my own ammo since 1977.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies