Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 07:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Man, why does Major League Baseball hate black people this much? The urban and exurban areas around Atlanta sure could have used the economic lift, yet MLB gifts the predominantly white Denver area with the All-Star Game? We need to hear what Sharpton and Oprah think about this!?
Because many players in MLB were unsure of playing the All-Star Game in Atlanta over the Georgia voting bill. Even a coach was unsure about playing. You cannot have an All-Star Game, if you don't have the players taking the field, right? I get it, this hurts the businesses, but the state politicians stepped into a political third rail. As said before, while the bill has done good, it don't takeaway the restrictions on voting that largely effect minorities extended through provisions in the bill.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:53 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,918 times
I havent read all 70 pages of the thread but simply put.. This is Georgia Republicans changing the rules of the game because they know they will lose and keep losing if they run on the same policy and don't change anything on the voting. Every professional sports league and Publicly traded company with stock options doesn't align with GOP anymore now too hardly.. Its not some conspiracy or "deep state" Its this: YOUR PARTY IS NUTS AND IDEAS SUCK

Old 04-06-2021, 08:07 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You obviously are blind to the no food/drink provision and the fact that African-American and Hispanic-Americans have 45 minutes extra for their voting lines than white Americans do. So that means if my line was only 15 minutes, their line is an hour or quadruple mine. If my line was somehow 45 minutes, their line is double mine. This is Jim Crow, right here.

I also don't like how the drop-boxes were used and the reduction of mail-in window is. Drop-boxes are limited to about one per 100,000 voters in every county or equal to their early vote locations, whatever is smaller. I think it is stupid to cut-down on these locations in a way like Fulton County nearly only have one for every five they did in 2020. Mind you, Fulton was a county that carried Bidem to the win in Georgia. I've already given my thoughts on mail-in voting since I do it and I rather not beat a dead horse.
Stop listening to Blue Anon... there is no "no food/drink provision".

Old 04-06-2021, 08:36 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
I havent read all 70 pages of the thread but simply put.. This is Georgia Republicans changing the rules of the game because they know they will lose and keep losing if they run on the same policy and don't change anything on the voting. Every professional sports league and Publicly traded company with stock options doesn't align with GOP anymore now too hardly.. Its not some conspiracy or "deep state" Its this: YOUR PARTY IS NUTS AND IDEAS SUCK
+1, exactly right.

No surprise that corporations are abandoning the GOP. Aging boomers are a shrinking part of their customer base. Racism is not socially acceptable among the 40 and under crowd, and that's where most of the consumer spending is happening. Makes perfect business sense for corporations to cut GOP, Trumpism and McConnell loose.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:40 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
YOUR PARTY IS NUTS AND IDEAS SUCK
I sincerely hope Red Team management is listening to the message these companies are sending out which is they would rather side with Blue Team and higher corporate taxes rather than side with Red Team and updating their voting laws to align with other states.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:41 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You obviously are blind to the no food/drink provision and the fact that African-American and Hispanic-Americans have 45 minutes extra for their voting lines than white Americans do. So that means if my line was only 15 minutes, their line is an hour or quadruple mine. If my line was somehow 45 minutes, their line is double mine. This is Jim Crow, right here.

I also don't like how the drop-boxes were used and the reduction of mail-in window is. Drop-boxes are limited to about one per 100,000 voters in every county or equal to their early vote locations, whatever is smaller. I think it is stupid to cut-down on these locations in a way like Fulton County nearly only have one for every five they did in 2020. Mind you, Fulton was a county that carried Bidem to the win in Georgia. I've already given my thoughts on mail-in voting since I do it and I rather not beat a dead horse.
First, self-serve water stations are allowed. Any volunteer group can drop off unmarked coolers full of plain water bottles. Second, that provision only applies with the certain number of feet of the polling place or line that prohibits electioneering - just like in 47 other states (Louisiana and Washington don’t have specified distances).

Most of these states have something that reads along the lines of “No one other than electors, persons to assist them, the judge of probate, the sheriff or his deputies, precinct election officials, and watchers is permitted within the perimeter,” which was in the language of upheld laws that have already passed through the courts. There is an implication that you can’t approach voters for any reason, and I know “working the line” would not be permitted anywhere I have been a poll worker. Frankly, I was surprised to learn in Georgia they had been allowing it.

Just FYI, there are two states that do specifically talk about food and water: Montana, which just flat out prohibits it and NEW YORK, with the following language: Providing or purchasing meat, drink, tobacco, refreshment or other provision with a retail value of more than one dollar is prohibited in polling places (see statue for exceptions).

For fun, I present a list of each state’s electioneering prohibition areas during the 2020 election.
  • Alabama - 30 feet of the door
  • Alaska - 200 feet of entrance
  • Arizona - 75 ft. of polling place or entrance to early voting location
  • Arkansas - 100 ft. of exterior entrance; includes people in line
  • California - 100 ft. of polling place, satellite location or election official's office
  • Colorado - 100 ft. of any building where a polling place is located
  • Connecticut - 75 ft. of the outside entrance to a polling place, or in any corridor passageway or approach leading to a polling place
  • Delaware - 50 ft. of entrance of building
  • Florida - 150 ft. of the entrance to a polling place, early voting site, or office of the supervisor
  • Georgia - 150 ft. of the outer edge of the building where a polling place is established, or within 25 feet of any voter standing in line
  • Hawaii - 200 ft. from the perimeter of any voter service center or any place of deposit; includes the building, its parking lot, and routes of access between them
  • Idaho - 100 ft. of a building where an election is being held
  • Illinois - 100 ft. of any polling place, or at the option of a church or private school that is a polling place, on any of that property
  • Indiana - within the polls or the chute (this is an area or pathway 50 ft. in length, measured from the entrance to the polls; if the property line is less than 50 ft. from the entrance, the chute extends half way from the entrance to the property line)
  • Iowa - 300 ft. of the outside door of the building where the polls are held
  • Kansas - 250 ft. of the entrance
  • Kentucky - 100 ft. of the entrance to a building where a voting machine is located on election day
  • Louisiana
  • Maine - 250 ft. of the entrance
  • Maryland - 100 ft. from the entrance and exit
  • Massachusetts - 150 ft. of the building entrance door
  • Michigan - 100 ft. from the entrance to a building where a polling place is located
  • Minnesota - 100 ft. of the building where a polling place is located
  • Mississippi - 150 ft. of any entrance to a building where an election is being held
  • Missouri - 25 ft. of the building's outer door closest to the polling place
  • Montana - 100 ft. of any entrance to the building where a polling place is located
  • Nebraska - 200 ft. of polling place or any building designated for voters to cast ballots
  • Nevada - 100 ft. from the entrance of the building or other structure where a polling place is located
  • New Hampshire - there are "no-electioneering corridors" that are at least 10 ft. wide and extend from all entrances to the polling place and extend "a reasonable distance along sidewalks or to the parking lots that serve the polling place"
  • New Jersey - 100 ft. of the polling place
  • New Mexico - 100 ft. of the building where a polling place is located or the door through which voters enter to vote
  • New York - 100 ft. from entrances to a building where the election is being held
  • North Carolina - Dimensions of the buffer zone are set by the county board of elections and must not be less than 25 ft. nor more than 50 ft. from the door of entrance to the voting place
  • North Dakota - 100 ft. from the entrance to the room containing the polling place
  • Ohio - Within the area between the polling place and the small U.S. flags placed on the thoroughfares and walkways leading to the polling place, and if the line of electors waiting to vote extends beyond those small flags, within 10 ft. of any elector in line. Flags are placed 100 ft. from the polling place.
  • Oklahoma - 300 ft. of the ballot box
  • Oregon - 100 ft. measured radially from any entrance to a building designated for the deposit of ballots
  • Pennsylvania - 10 ft. from the polling place
  • Rhode Island - 50 ft. of the entrance of the building where voting is conducted
  • South Carolina - 200 ft. of any entrance used by the voters to enter the polling place
  • South Dakota - 100 ft. from any entrance leading into a polling place
  • Tennessee - 100 ft from the designated entrances to the building where the election is held, certain counties may extend the 100 ft. boundary
  • Texas - 100 ft. of an outside door through which a voter may enter a building in which a polling place is located
  • Utah - 150 ft. of the building where a polling place is located
  • Vermont - On the walks and driveways leading to a building in which a polling place is located
  • Virginia - 40 ft. of the entrance of a polling place
  • Washington
  • West Virginia - 100 ft. of the outside entrance to a building housing a polling place
  • Wisconsin - 100 ft. of an entrance to a building containing a polling place
  • Wyoming - 100 yards of any public entrance to the building in which a polling place is located

Old 04-06-2021, 09:01 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
First, self-serve water stations are allowed. Any volunteer group can drop off unmarked coolers full of plain water bottles. Second, that provision only applies with the certain number of feet of the polling place or line that prohibits electioneering - just like in 47 other states (Louisiana and Washington don’t have specified distances).
Ok, I looked it up because there's some debate about the food/drink provision.

https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.c...law-SB-202.pdf

Quote:
1868 Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code
1869 Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling
1870 within the vicinity of a polling place, cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates
1871 from entering certain polling places, and penalty, as follows:
1872 "(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any
1873 person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give,
1874 or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and
1875 drink
, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any
1876 person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables
1877 or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast:
You can give food/water. You cannot solicit votes by offering food or water. You can set up self-serve water, but physically handing out water is ok, as long as you are not campaigning.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:02 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Joe Biden and Stacey Abrams Lied. Democrat-Run Atlanta Died.
Quote:
Well, thanks to the Democrat voters of Atlanta, their own city has just been hit with a second pandemic: a pandemic of lies that wiped $100 million in revenue and spending right off the table. All those jobs… All those customers for struggling small businesses…

Well, all I can say is LOL.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:14 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Nothing wrong with any of that unless the flannel mouths doing the talking are too dumb to realize that what they saying is based on lies & disinformation.

Everyone of you leftists wanted to pile on Georgia for making changes but were too short-sighted to realize that many states, including creepy demented Biden's home state of Delaware, had voting regulations stricter than what Georgia now has. Wonder if Stacy Abrahms ever gave that a thought?

MLB also didn't bother to read the new regulations had to throw their two cents in. Rack up another one for ignorance & stupidity. And every single one of these "woke" geniuses that supported moving the All-Star Game didn't bother to think of the economic impact it would have.

If any of them had brains they'd be dangerous.
You are literally repeating the same words spoon fed to you by Fox News.

Here are some facts to consider:

Quote:
The new law will, in particular, curtail ballot access for voters in booming urban and suburban counties, home to many Democrats. Another provision makes it a crime to offer water to voters waiting in lines, which tend to be longer in densely populated communities.

Here are the most significant changes to voting in the state, as written into the new law:

-Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.

-There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.

-It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.

-Drop boxes still exist … but barely.

-Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.

-Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.

-Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.

-If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.

-With a mix of changes to vote-counting, high-turnout elections will probably mean a long wait for results.

-With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.

-The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.

-The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.

-The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.

-Runoff elections will happen faster — and could become harder to manage.

What Georgia’s Voting Law Really Does

Old 04-06-2021, 09:50 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Ok, I looked it up because there's some debate about the food/drink provision.

https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.c...law-SB-202.pdf

You can give food/water. You cannot solicit votes by offering food or water. You can set up self-serve water, but physically handing out water is ok, as long as you are not campaigning.
That is not what that states, you cannot give food or water within the restricted area.

"nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies