Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 05:49 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
They should move that golf tournament coming up next week too
Why?

Old 04-02-2021, 05:52 PM

379 posts, read 155,818 times
While some can move....keep in mind those that are determined to stay probably endear themselves to roughly half the country that opposes the woke agenda. Imagine states like Georgia being seen as warm weather escapes from wokeism...perhaps appealing to millions upon millions of sensible people from across the country.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:53 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
I was going to say, I think most Georgia natives would be happy to see Hollywood move out.
So Georgia is like Oklahoma? It's so desperate for outside business to come to the state that it offers Hollywood movie companies huge tax incentives to come film a movie there.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:54 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No MLB believes that you shouldn't constrict voting availability. That is REALLY what is in the Georgia election law.

Source?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
If MLB really believed that, then they would not be operating in China.
Does Mlb play in China or are you thinking NBA?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:02 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
States should have to give Picture IDs to it's citizens for free...otherwise this can be considered a poll tax.

Now if a state gives FREE IDs and doesn't make it too cumbersome to get it (IE long lines and limited hrs at few BMV locations), then I have no problem w/ an ID requirement. But if you have to wait in line for hours or can only get it between the hours of 9 and 5 Mon to Fri and maybe 9 to Noon on Sat, then that's not good enough.
Georgia’s ID is free. My local DMV hours are 7:30am to 6:30pm.

Unless someone is infirm or physically disabled there is zero excuse for not being able to get an ID.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:06 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So all these corporations speaking up AFTER the law passed -- what is their end game?

It's all for show.

And eeryone plays along -- so they do it.

If they truly cared about impacting this specific issue they should have spoken up BEFORE the law was passed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Your post and question implies that the new voting restrictions and election laws in Georgia and elsewhere are only about ID. They are not, although voter identification laws are indeed a part of an ongoing strategy to roll back decades of progress on voting rights.

The Georgia laws aim to make voting harder by limiting drop boxes, they will strip the secretary of state of some of his authority, they impose new oversight of county election boards, they restrict who can vote with provisional ballots, and of course the absurd which criminalizes the offering of food or water to voters waiting in lines. Their law also requires a lot more changes and you should have seen the doozies that they dropped before sending the bill to the governor.

AS for ID laws
: Check out the following websites to better understand why ID laws are restrictive and limit participation in our democratic process rather than include more Americans. And why they really are a solution looking for a problem. BTW they include a detailed list and documentation supporting the reasons on the list. The last time I posted a list such as the one you request, I was informed that it was a copyright violation. That being said I hope you will access these sites to educate and inform yourself regarding the reasons voter ID laws deprive many voters of their right to vote, reduce participation, and stand in direct opposition to our country’s trend of including more Americans in the democratic process.

Peace

https://www.aclu.org/other/oppose-vo...ion-fact-sheet

https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi.../voter-id.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Georgia’s ID is free. My local DMV hours are 7:30am to 6:30pm.

Unless someone is infirm or physically disabled there is zero excuse for not being able to get an ID.
How are the lines as 7 when I can get there after work? Oh wait, I have to pick up my kids at daycare before it closes. How are the Saturday lines and can I bring my 3 kids with me?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:07 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
No MLB believes that you shouldn't constrict voting availability. That is REALLY what is in the Georgia election law.
Disinformation.

How does it constrict voting availability?

In specifics.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Source?
Have you read what is in the bill? Reduction in drop-box locations, decrease in the absentee ballot window, outlawing food and drink pass outs (especially useful in longer lines), forcing people to do provisional ballots if they vote out of their precincts and if the person votes after 5pm must sign an affedavit that they could not get to their precinct in time to vote. How can you defend any of that?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Disinformation.

How does it constrict voting availability?

In specifics.
Read the below and tell me how an unbiased rational person doesn't call it anything else.

Quote:
Have you read what is in the bill? Reduction in drop-box locations, decrease in the absentee ballot window, outlawing food and drink pass outs (especially useful in longer lines), forcing people to do provisional ballots if they vote out of their precincts and if the person votes after 5pm must sign an affedavit that they could not get to their precinct in time to vote. How can you defend any of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies