Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 05:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
The end game was to bring a spotlight to this issue.
Mission accomplished. If it has any effect in other states we will see.

Probably would have been better to do before it was passed but I don’t know what kind of eyes and ears the mlb has in the Georgia state house. Doubtful they have lobbyist in every, or any, state.
We have been talking about this bill for days if not weeks.

They had lots of time to say more and do more.
Those CEO's have accesss to the legislators.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:31 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We have been talking about this bill for days if not weeks.

They had lots of time to say more and do more.
Those CEO's have accesss to the legislators.
Maybe they did contact the legislators about this but were blown off.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:35 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
In Fl it’s 7pm people work. The Reps been trying to stop Dems from voting since I can remember and I am 67!
Read the law and have your eyes open.

Stop listening to the media.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:40 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
As someone who lives in Atlanta I hope all these businesses leave so the state goes red again and my traffic improves. I really most want the Hollywood people the hell out of here more than anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
I was going to say, I think most Georgia natives would be happy to see Hollywood move out.
Many (if not most) Georgians, particularly in metro Atlanta and North Georgia, do not want to see a mass exodus of business from metro Atlanta and the state.

And many (if not most) Georgians do not want Hollywood (the Film and Television Production Industry) to move out of the state of Georgia.

That is because the Film/TV production industry has about at least a $10 billion impact on Georgia’s economy.

The stunning rise of the Film/TV production industry in the state in the aftermath of the late-2000’s Great Recession economic downturn really helped to aid tremendously in Georgia’s economic recovery during the decade of the 2010’s by putting thousands of people to work in well-paying jobs and by helping to lure even more business and industrial investment to the state across multiple fields.

Running large amounts of business and investment out of the state would serve to do nothing but also run huge numbers of jobs out of the state, leaving many people jobless and very likely making crime rates spike even much more higher than they already may be.

Running business out of Georgia might would make traffic lighter, but also most assuredly would make crime spike through the roof as criminals gleefully moved in to fill the void left by legitimate economic activity.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:41 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityfred11 View Post
What is your actual logical argument for not thinking people should not be required to have IDs for voting, as is currently required for dozens of other processes?

Please provide us with a detailed list of reasons.
States should have to give Picture IDs to it's citizens for free...otherwise this can be considered a poll tax.

Now if a state gives FREE IDs and doesn't make it too cumbersome to get it (IE long lines and limited hrs at few BMV locations), then I have no problem w/ an ID requirement. But if you have to wait in line for hours or can only get it between the hours of 9 and 5 Mon to Fri and maybe 9 to Noon on Sat, then that's not good enough.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I guess MLB doesn't believe in Election Laws by States and does not believe in Identification.
No MLB believes that you shouldn't constrict voting availability. That is REALLY what is in the Georgia election law.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:45 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So all these corporations speaking up AFTER the law passed -- what is their end game?

It's all for show.

And eeryone plays along -- so they do it.

If they truly cared about impacting this specific issue they should have spoken up BEFORE the law was passed.
I do agree...but I also don't mind the idea of boycotting a state that does something stupid either...if a corp doesn't agree w/ the leaders of the state they are in I see no issue w/ relocating to a state w/ leaders and policies more in line w/ their beliefs.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:46 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No MLB believes that you shouldn't constrict voting availability. That is REALLY what is in the Georgia election law.
If MLB really believed that, then they would not be operating in China.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Yep, near the end of the 2019 MLB attendance was already down about 1 MILLION fans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/29/s...ttendance.html

Fans already upset of some of these mega contracts, tv package pricing and souvenirs. They're supposed to play ball not politics. Big sports will learn.
So they're all pricing themselves out of business? Are decent seats getting close to a $100?

Old 04-02-2021, 05:49 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,640,313 times
Who cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.