Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 11:45 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
-If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.
GOOD!!! It's about time!!!

This is a common trick played by liberals, with the acquiescence of their fellow travelers on the judiciary. Some big-city precinct will develop "election problems" that preclude them from opening on time. Maybe a couple of hours go by before they correct the "alleged" errors and open up. The Democrats will say that the people in that precinct will be disenfranchised unless the voting hours are extended by a length of time equivalent to how late the polls opened. They'll take their case to a sympathetic judge who will approve the request. So, the polls close on time everywhere else, and they know how many extra votes they need to manufacture and cast in the precinct that is still open. This happens every election, somewhere, and it's high time that this obvious avenue for fraud be clamped down on.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:47 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Hey GearHeadDave: do you really think that it's a good idea for any business to alienate a potential 25% of its customer base?

Old 04-06-2021, 11:50 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I will ask you what I asked an earlier poster and received crickets in response. What in the Georgia law - the actual law, not the lies told about it - are suppressing voters?
  • Is it the 17 early voting days?
  • Is it mandating Saturday early voting days?
  • Is it the codifying of drop boxes to be placed in every county?
  • Is it establishing the mandatory MINIMUM opening hours during early voting of 9-5, with provisions to be open 7 am - 7 pm at county discretion?
  • Is it providing free IDs at county DMVs and election offices?
  • Is it creating a panel to investigate election officials who commit malfeasance TWO elections in a row, such as those god awful 3-8 hour lines?
So, what is suppressing the vote?
Plenty, they have cut the mail in voting time in half
They don't allow anyone other than election officials (who are busy doing their job) give water to people standing in lines
They limit the number of ballot collection boxes
They cut the mail in deadline
They give power to the election board (partisans) to reject electors. You apprently see this as a benefit, I do not (and neither will you when the party in power is not the party that has your support, which will happen one day).
Free ID's don't help people that can't get there, or people that don't have the needed docs (I responded with a specific example earlier on this one)

Those are just a few. Right now one party may like it, but we should never give power of partisans to decide or influence the validity of votes.

There are so many more.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:54 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You are literally repeating the same words spoon fed to you by Fox News.

Here are some facts to consider:

Here are the most significant changes to voting in the state, as written into the new law:

-Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.

-There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.

-It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.

-Drop boxes still exist … but barely.

-Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.

-Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.

-Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.

-If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.

-With a mix of changes to vote-counting, high-turnout elections will probably mean a long wait for results.

-With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.

-The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.

-The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.

-The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.

-Runoff elections will happen faster — and could become harder to manage.

What Georgia’s Voting Law Really Does
facts?

declarative statements from a journalist who then links to the clause. it is the clause one must read in order to determine the actual real facts of the bill.

Just because the entire MSM is spinning this for you and all those who rely on them for information (sometimes thought of as facts) does not make it facts just because the journalist says so.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:59 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Hey GearHeadDave: do you really think that it's a good idea for any business to alienate a potential 25% of its customer base?
Either way these corporations are in a lose-lose situation, no idea where you came up with 25% for pulling the game out of Georgia. But if they did mothing they would have also alienated a large portion of the population since they funded these politicians that created this law.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
link pls.
Took me about 15 seconds to find. Did you look for it and couldn't find it, or just didn't want to know?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews...h=5b12a22b4515

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aw/7103439002/

More search results, but you already know what he said, and what he implied, and what others said verbatim:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mitc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 04-06-2021, 12:05 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you understand the meaning of the words "Nor shall any person give ....including but not limited to food and drink", speaking of education.
Look at the qualifier in the Section 33(a) header:

"Section 33

Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling within the vicinity of a polling place, cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates from entering certain polling places, and penalty, as follows:"

The restrictions in 33(a) regarding food and drink apply only to those who are engaging in campaign activities (electioneering) and public opinion polling.

It's basic English. What stumped you?

Old 04-06-2021, 12:05 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Either way these corporations are in a lose-lose situation, no idea where you came up with 25% for pulling the game out of Georgia. But if they did mothing they would have also alienated a large portion of the population since they funded these politicians that created this law.
I was responding to a post that he wrote, which was deleted along with mine for being off-topic. My point was the same as yours: the country is very politically divided. Businesses can't just decide, "I'm going to publicly take the left-wing side and everything's going to work out." A coffee shop in a hipster neighborhood in Portland can do that, but baseball leagues and soft drink companies probably shouldn't try it.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:08 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I was responding to a post that he wrote, which was deleted along with mine for being off-topic. My point was the same as yours: the country is very politically divided. Businesses can't just decide, "I'm going to publicly take the left-wing side and everything's going to work out." A coffee shop in a hipster neighborhood in Portland can do that, but baseball leagues and soft drink companies probably shouldn't try it.
I think it's more a matter of these large corporations wanting to be on the right side of history. The long term value of their brands dictate their actions.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:09 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I see that article was written before a lot of these news organizations started walking back on some of this. Some of the arguments you have are based not on comparing it to former Georgia election laws but to the emergency changes done for the 2020 election due to Covid.

But, to your “facts”-

-The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.
Read your constitution, they are supposed to.
-The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.
It’s about an even split between states where the Secretary of State is voting or just the Chairman.
-The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.
Somebody should be able to..... the Fulton County guy should have been removed after the 2018 election. The guy is inept. But, you do need to read the rules about that - it takes two failed election cycles and there are provisions for appeals.
]
So your happy with the legislature whether it be republican or democratic having a larger role in elections, you want the legislature to nominate the election official that may cast the deciding vote in certification of the election results. That is a terribly partisan procedure and you could imagine what would have happened in 2020 in the swing states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.