Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 12:10 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Took me about 15 seconds to find. Did you look for it and couldn't find it, or just didn't want to know?
i looked for several minutes and didn't find anything to back up your claim. hilariously, you didn't find anything either. remember? or have you already forgotten what you claimed?
Quote:
I saw Mitch McConnell specifically calling on his base to boycott businesses that don't support their agenda.

Quote:
nothing there about mcconnell calling on his base to boycott businesses that don't support their agenda.

Quote:
nothing there about mcconnell calling on his base to boycott businesses that don't support their agenda.

Quote:
More search results, but you already know what he said
https://www.google.com/search?q=mitc...hrome&ie=UTF-8
yeah, i know what he said. that's how i knew you lied

have you been taking lessons from president zho?

Old 04-06-2021, 12:19 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I think it's more a matter of these large corporations wanting to be on the right side of history. The long term value of their brands dictate their actions.
Oh, I see: these commissioners and CEOs can see the future, a future where people will look favorably on a decision they made regarding a Georgia election law that most people likely don't even know or care much about in the present day, never mind decades from now. Well that's......I don't know what that is.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:21 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Look at the qualifier in the Section 33(a) header:

"Section 33

Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling within the vicinity of a polling place, cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates from entering certain polling places, and penalty, as follows:"

The restrictions in 33(a) regarding food and drink apply only to those who are engaging in campaign activities (electioneering) and public opinion polling.

It's basic English. What stumped you?
I thought when I posted the contents of the section, that would be enough context but somehow people can STILL pull one sentence out and get it wrong.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:26 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,091,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Well this is sad to see. Can't say I'm surprised MLB caved to the woke left... Hopefully the numbers tank this year (regarding how many people watch it).

MLB moving All-Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia voting law

Thoughts?
I applaud them. I don't watch MLB, but maybe now I will.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So your happy with the legislature whether it be republican or democratic having a larger role in elections, you want the legislature to nominate the election official that may cast the deciding vote in certification of the election results. That is a terribly partisan procedure and you could imagine what would have happened in 2020 in the swing states.
yet this has not been the issue wailed about by the Dems and the media. Did MLB cite this part of the law as why they were taking the game? Have the Dems wailed about this part?

Of course not.

And so, you - and all of us - might actually have a problem with an actual part of the law.

It's just not as headline-grabbing as "the Republicans want people to die from dehydration!!11!!!"

Old 04-06-2021, 12:35 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
yet this has not been the issue wailed about by the Dems and the media. Did MLB cite this part of the law as why they were taking the game? Have the Dems wailed about this part?

Of course not.

And so, you - and all of us - might actually have a problem with an actual part of the law.

It's just not as headline-grabbing as "the Republicans want people to die from dehydration!!11!!!"
It's one that I specifically mentioned. And I learned that from hearing others mention it, and then confirmed by reading the actual bill. So I think you may be somewhat off on that statement.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:36 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Oh, I see: these commissioners and CEOs can see the future, a future where people will look favorably on a decision they made regarding a Georgia election law that most people likely don't even know or care much about in the present day, never mind decades from now. Well that's......I don't know what that is.
People turned out in record numbers in 2020 so your contention that people don't care in the present day is incorrect. And that's precisely what has sparked all these new laws all of a sudden. The GQP can't win when a lot of people vote, as we saw last November.

Consumers will look favorably upon corporations that don't support a return to Jim Crow type laws, which is what we see popping up across the country right now.

So yes, I do believe this is what they're thinking about both short and long term. As they should be, because the generations coming up behind the old MAGAs and Tea Partiers is much more open-minded and diverse. Like it or not, the world progresses. (Which is bad news for the GQP).

Old 04-06-2021, 12:37 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
I think it's more a matter of these large corporations wanting to be on the right side of history. The long term value of their brands dictate their actions.
One thing I gotta admire about leftists is that they're so darned sure of themselves. Everything they do or support is "the right side of history." The corollary, of course, is that everything conservatives do or support is the wrong side of history and destined to be consigned to history's ashbin. Personally, I think that making our elections more secure is the right thing to do, and history will judge accordingly. Guess we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:37 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i looked for several minutes and didn't find anything to back up your claim. hilariously, you didn't find anything either. remember? or have you already forgotten what you claimed?

yeah, i know what he said. that's how i knew you lied

have you been taking lessons from president zho?
from the links, the only call for a boycott was from Trump.

A group of Georgia Republicans in their Legislature asked for Coke to be removed from the office building.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:38 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
People turned out in record numbers in 2020 so your contention that people don't care in the present day is incorrect. And that's precisely what has sparked all these new laws all of a sudden. The GQP can't win when a lot of people vote, as we saw last November.

Consumers will look favorably upon corporations that don't support a return to Jim Crow type laws, which is what we see popping up across the country right now.

So yes, I do believe this is what they're thinking about both short and long term. As they should be, because the generations coming up behind the old MAGAs and Tea Partiers is much more open-minded and diverse. Like it or not, the world progresses. (Which is bad news for the GQP).
What is the "GQP"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.