Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 09:36 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,563,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yes! The government is not your babysitter and the taxpayers are not slaves to leech off.

Whether or not you starve is a problem between you and your parents.
What a compassionate human being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 09:37 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,772,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
"1 in 10 don't get enough to eat"

I have a hard time believing that in a nation that is 50% obese.
It is irrelevant. You can actually be malnourished and be obese. Pasta is cheaper than steak. Many poor people are overweight.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:43 AM

4,239 posts, read 2,473,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Give them free money and give them free food.

It truly is "bread and circuses" in the US these days.
Buffets of bread and calvacades of circuses.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:43 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,563,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
It is irrelevant. You can actually be malnourished and be obese. Pasta is cheaper than steak. Many poor people are overweight.
Correct. And with cheaper food being heavy on carbs and fats, it leads to higher rates of diabetes, heart disease and other complications.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:24 AM

6,164 posts, read 3,384,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
One of the best lessons I learned in my childhood and was sure to pass along to my own children was, "life isn't fair." Nothing to do other than deal with it. You can be against your tax dollars feeding hungry kids all you want but there's nothing you can do about it.
Sadly, you are right. My tax dollars will be used to usher in a new generation of worthless to society people. The cycle continues. Bill Gates is right, we need to limit births. The goal should be to weed out every worthless individual so future generations don’t have to deal with this nonsense.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:33 AM

29,568 posts, read 14,720,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
So then they are eating unhealthy foods, not starving. Starving people aren't obese.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:37 AM

424 posts, read 176,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes thats us, not like all the others on food stamps, and "disability checks" while working under the table and hitting up 2 or 3 food banks a weeks giving away there excess can goods and fresh vegetables because they dont have room or dont like it or dont know how to cook it . The food banks throw out what is not taken. They advertise come get what God has provided.
It low values for those who have worked for over 30 years paying takes and being frugal to indulge in food distributions otherwise given to those who are here illegally and those who choose not to work while producing 5 kids.
If you're taking something that is meant for those who need help and you do not need the help, then you are wrong. It doesn't matter what "everyone else" is doing. Good grief. The rationalization of selfish behavior is gross.

If it's free food for everyone and anyone and they do not mean for it to be going to the poor, then that's fine. Generally, a "food pantry" is for those who lack the resources to buy their own food, though, not for people of means who are miffed that Bob and Fran down the street might be getting some free tomatoes and chicken legs because they don't have money for groceries. I've been working for over 25 years myself, and I've never had the need to go to a food pantry. I donate to our food pantry, however, and I'm grateful every day for the abundance in my life that others do not necessarily have. I would never begrudge someone who needed it free food. There but for the grace of God go I.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:33 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
If you're taking something that is meant for those who need help and you do not need the help, then you are wrong. It doesn't matter what "everyone else" is doing. Good grief. The rationalization of selfish behavior is gross.

If it's free food for everyone and anyone and they do not mean for it to be going to the poor, then that's fine. Generally, a "food pantry" is for those who lack the resources to buy their own food, though, not for people of means who are miffed that Bob and Fran down the street might be getting some free tomatoes and chicken legs because they don't have money for groceries. I've been working for over 25 years myself, and I've never had the need to go to a food pantry. I donate to our food pantry, however, and I'm grateful every day for the abundance in my life that others do not necessarily have. I would never begrudge someone who needed it free food. There but for the grace of God go I.
Its not meant for only those who need help. Most of the food banks for those who need help dont actually need help.

There are some particular food pantries that require proof of residency and proof of income, automatic qualification if you receive food stamps. I specifically said it was open to all yet you judge me(although I have never gone to a food bank) and my sister (who has gone to one) as being of low value and taking advantage of others (whats that say about you). I also said they would throw away what wasn't distributed. At least my sister will can the potatoes, apples and carrots she got instead of throwing them out or giving it to rabbits.
The advertisement for the distribution for Saturday: " As much as we try we cant out do God. God is providing you with a semi truck load of food at.......come and get what God has provided" Nothing about income.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:36 PM

4,523 posts, read 1,872,966 times
How many of these “food insecure” people have an iPhone and a car that is less than 10 years old?

I bet most of them are fat too

Oh, the humanity! Let’s shower them with more free stuff

Old 04-06-2021, 01:13 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,967,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Where do you live? My father runs a food pantry in Maine and he says there's been much more of an increase in supply than in demand. They often have more food coming in than they can store.
I did the math at one point, adding up all the millions the huge food orgs (Share Our Strength) rake in, and it was in the hundreds of millions of dollars for food annually.

Add in all the school bf/lunch/weekend back pack programs, YMCA drives, church/religious local pantries, local food charities, etc., plus all the goverment programs (WIC, EIC, Welfare, etc)... there is no food shortage in the US.

It's a myth. If someone wants food, they can get it. When has anyone seen that skinny family that needs food? Nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies