Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 11:35 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,409,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It does no such thing. Why distort or exaggerate?

Biden's proposal is to nudge local government (using federal funds as a carrot) into allowing more apartments within single family housing zones. There is no suggestion to end or eliminate SFR zoning completely.
Either way who in their right mind wants crackhead centers installed in their neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 11:37 AM

962 posts, read 542,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
What is going to allow poor people to afford "upscale" housing? Nothing. Never can. Never should. Am I supposed to have some right to live on the Upper East Side of NYC just because I WANT to, or because I'm in NYC and my family is too large for what I can afford? Of course not.

My point about "exclusionary" zoning - the term connotes it was done to EXCLUDE minorities (Black people). However, requiring a 1/4 acre lot vs 1/10 acre isn't racial or "excluding" anyone at all - except based upon financial ability.

Zoning and zoning regulations are separate, but the same in many ways. I can say "it's not single family(zoning), build anything you want so long as it's not > 40 ft high and has a 10 ft setback on the sides and 30 ft front and rear (regulation)" for example. Now, by nature on certain lots I have made that at most a weird looking triplex of 3 one-story places. And then you've got building regulations that say you can't have a walk-up to the 3rd floor some places, so you must have an elevator ... which just further increases the cost.

A "true conservative" would probably say "it's my property, I can build a 100 story building if I want".
Some nice words, but you're also playing Straw Man. When you require 1/4 lots vs 1/10 acre lots, you're reducing the supply of single family lots. This is supply and demand. When supply is low, and demand is constant, prices go up. When supply is low, and demand is high (today), prices skyrocket. This is good for homeowners, but this leaves behind those who would like to buy homes. Poor people don't buy homes. Young middle class people looking to raise a family do. We are leaving as generation behind. Lastly, there is plenty of caselaw establishing that a policy can be violative of the Equal Protection Clause without being racist on its face, if it has a "racist" effect. There is no shortage of literature showing the effects of redlining, and how those policies still reverberate today.

A "true conservative" wouldn't say that. True conservatives like exclusionary zoning because it allows conservatives to choose a town, and keep said town conservative.

A true libertarian would agree with your "it's my property" principle.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:38 AM

43,256 posts, read 18,385,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Wouldn't this mean that all lower-income future homeowners would be grouped together and the people who already own their homes would be left alone?

And to expand on that a little bit, wouldn't rural and wealthy areas also continue to be exclusionary, as wealthy districts could provide their own transportation, roads, etc. through property taxes, and many rural areas don't even have suburbs or many subdivisions?
No. There's been numerous papers and studies done on how to empower the poor so they can live wherever they want and still have the essential services that poor people need.

The point is to remove the "exclusionary" and the NIMBY and everyone lives together in "perfect harmony"...the rich next to the poor, the have's next to the have-nots.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Either way who in their right mind wants crackhead centers installed in their neighborhoods?
Who needs a dog whistle?

Old 04-09-2021, 11:43 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The only "government" that should be spending money on infrastructure is the LOCAL government to improve things for its own citizens as they organically expand, not artificially do a "if we build it, they will come" end run.
But local governments don't have the same resources. And many of the most critical roads are actually federal highways, etc.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:46 AM

17,833 posts, read 13,750,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
This is what we can look forward to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ztQJiJ9qPw
I hope I get put on the residential committee so I can round you all up and herd you around. If not that I hope I get put on the committee to take your guns away.

Can't wait.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:49 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,494,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Our area is building apartments like mad and it's because young and old alike can't afford a house payment or rent. Ease the zoning and NIMBYs shut the hell up. Get government out of it. That means the feds too btw.
NIMBY! Sorry, but I won’t STHU and I like my neighborhood just fine the way it is. Maybe these people who can’t buy a home should work 3 jobs and save like I did and quit whining. And, maybe they should not think they are entitled enough to buy a home fresh out of university. I am so tired of GIMMEE.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:55 AM

7,031 posts, read 2,733,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
That's literally the proposal. Giving money to local governments. There is no incentive to expand otherwise. Unless you believe that towns should continue to engage in exclusionary zoning, which, as I said before, is great for homeowners in said town, but bad for everyone else.

How could a conservative not like this idea? The federal government is giving our tax dollars back to local government. Don't we prefer that, over the converse?
As a conservative, I disagree with the Federal government taxing me and then forcing compliance to get the money back into my community. The money should have never been taken in the first place. Federal taxes should be less than 10% of what I pay to the state. The only thing I contract from the Fed is a military.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
NIMBY! Sorry, but I won’t STHU and I like my neighborhood just fine the way it is. Maybe these people who can’t buy a home should work 3 jobs and save like I did and quit whining. And, maybe they should not think they are entitled enough to buy a home fresh out of university. I am so tired of GIMMEE.
Studies show an increase in wealth correlates with the false notion that such wealth was completely deserved, and that those who are less wealthy are less deserving. It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that people who don't have it as good as us are somehow less deserving. Young people are working more hours, for less money, than their parents. Millenials (the people trying to buy houses) have significantly less wealth than their parents at similar ages. The rising housing prices are literally destroying the economic prospects of an entire generation.

But all you can see is greed. Seems like projection if you ask me.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:01 PM

7,031 posts, read 2,733,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
Studies show an increase in wealth correlates with the false notion that such wealth was completely deserved, and that those who are less wealthy are less deserving. It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that people who don't have it as good as us are somehow less deserving. Young people are working more hours, for less money, than their parents. Millenials (the people trying to buy houses) have significantly less wealth than their parents at similar ages. The rising housing prices are literally destroying the economic prospects of an entire generation.

But all you can see is greed. Seems like projection if you ask me.
"Greed" is expecting to get something without earning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies