Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 08:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times

Advertisements

Still a silly thread.

No one has put forth any evidence that such legislation exists or is even being planned.

Just the right up to its silly games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 02:13 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
NIMBY! Sorry, but I won’t STHU and I like my neighborhood just fine the way it is. Maybe these people who can’t buy a home should work 3 jobs and save like I did and quit whining. And, maybe they should not think they are entitled enough to buy a home fresh out of university. I am so tired of GIMMEE.
But I already had a house that should have been mine for the taking and buying a house in my desired area is all I've been trying to save for as long as I can remember.
I don't even know how people work 2 jobs let alone 3..unless you mean side gigs. I have been trying to squeeze as much money out of those as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
If this isn’t your top political concern it should be. Several decades ago the NJ Supreme Court created an aggressive affordable housing requirement through judicial fiat. It continues to this day to decimate suburban and even rural communities. They end up subsidizing a population increase of people who are low income and don’t supply a good tax base. So the towns need to raise property taxes on everyone who isn’t in low income housing. Many decades later, guess which state has the highest property taxes? Unless you want to pay 10k per year for a half acre lot then you should be concerned about this. That’s fair warning and free advice.
Why should I care? Buying a house has been so unattainable for me that I've lost practically all hope on having one.
I mean it sucks but so does losing your house to gambling and nobody was protesting making it illegal (or at least had restrictions) for parents to gamble either. Granted the internet wasn't as big then but there's newspapers and television so it's not like there was no media out there.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:43 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It does no such thing. Why distort or exaggerate?

Biden's proposal is to nudge local government (using federal funds as a carrot) into allowing more apartments within single family housing zones. There is no suggestion to end or eliminate SFR zoning completely.
Allowing apartments within single family housing zones is what the elimination of single-family zoning consists of. That's what it means.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:51 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
No. There's been numerous papers and studies done on how to empower the poor so they can live wherever they want and still have the essential services that poor people need.

The point is to remove the "exclusionary" and the NIMBY and everyone lives together in "perfect harmony"...the rich next to the poor, the have's next to the have-nots.
How awful!

Old 07-07-2021, 03:22 PM

82 posts, read 47,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Biden wants to end single family home zoning by attaching a requirement when accepting federal money(HUD) that a community must comply/follow a federal policy that seeks to end single family zoning. When building new homes or developing areas they must contain multiple 'affordable' housing units. Brings up population density issues among other things.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...family-zoning/

Is this the first or another step to eliminate suburban living that includes a single home, some property like a yard, driveway etc.
I agree with that in general. If you want a house and a yard, you can have it but you.dont get to tell another landowner down the street that he can't build a duplex or a triplex on his land. We need more dense housing.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Seems there are different ways of looking at all the zoning changes proposed......

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-s...es-11617796817
Biden’s Infrastructure Plan Seeks to Ease Housing Shortage With Looser Zoning Rules
The proposed program of at least $5 billion would offer grants to cities and towns that relax restrictions on new construction

A Biden administration push to increase the supply of affordable housing aims to coax states and localities into easing restrictions on new construction, a bid to help address a historic shortage of new housing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I live in a small rural town surrounded by cornfields and there was a subdivision built in the early 1990s that is a mix of properties. The main street going through is mostly duplexes with a few nice single family homes and a few small side streets with multiple unit apartments and cul de sacs with fairly nice single family homes. This area is still 99+% White so this has absolutely nothing to do with race. The issue is that the renters are a detriment to the subdivision, the rental property looks like crap and the people who live there keep their lifted pick up trucks parked on the lawn and there are dudebros with modded ricers, all with loud exhausts, some with annoying bass cannons. The streets are constantly littered with alcohol containers and other garbage including old tires in empty lots. Which ever officials approved this needs to be strung up by their ears, the government should not be in the planning business.
Economically-speaking, I see no evidence multi-family rental properties lower housing values.

Having said that, there is evidence HUD rental properties decrease values. HUD properties trigger what used to be called "White Flight" but is now simply "Flight" as all homeowners with means, regardless of their race or ethnicity, will flee to safer pastures.

And, while multi-family rental properties don't diminish home values, home rentals do. That's just part of the housing cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
But I already had a house that should have been mine for the taking and buying a house in my desired area...
The problem is you have an unrealistic goal. You can afford a home, you just can't afford one exactly where you wanna be.

You don't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:24 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Biden wants to end single family home zoning by attaching a requirement when accepting federal money(HUD) that a community must comply/follow a federal policy that seeks to end single family zoning. When building new homes or developing areas they must contain multiple 'affordable' housing units. Brings up population density issues among other things.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...family-zoning/

Is this the first or another step to eliminate suburban living that includes a single home, some property like a yard, driveway etc.
Biden wants to put some projects inside those gated communities.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:36 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Take a good look at low income housing coming to your neighborhood.

https://indianapolisrecorder.com/b27...-7b4dd0c13039/

Old 07-07-2021, 05:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Still a silly thread.

No one has put forth any evidence that such legislation exists or is even being planned.

Just the right up to its silly games.
Charlotte, North Carolina.

It's called the 2040 Comprehensive plan.

It's real.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:55 PM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Allowing apartments within single family housing zones is what the elimination of single-family zoning consists of. That's what it means.
Yes. Housing prices is how its legal to "choose your neighbors" and exclude those you deem "don't belong". Rent is higher in the "safer" parts of town, and lower where you might get mugged. The government should not be forcing those of us who can afford to keep our neighborhoods safe by introducing people who can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies