Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 04:35 PM

46 posts, read 25,748 times

Advertisements

It works for Japan and South Korea, two of the most prosperous nations on earth with the highest levels of satisfaction and well being. Humans are tribalistic, self-segregation creatures, by nature. Wouldn't we all be happier if we just lived among our own people and cultures, and helped each other prosper as a globe from afar? Give your thoughts and opinions.

Edit: This a theoretical thought exercise, not one based on the current reality, how easy it would be to achieve from this point, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 04:39 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,128 times
People technically already do that here, China town, little Tokyo, groups of Italian neighborhoods, black communities etc....

Old 04-07-2021, 04:43 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Would a world of ethnostates really be so bad?

No, probably not. Sure would save on a lot of "racism" accusation BS being thrown around and people getting all bent out of shape because others have different beliefs, customs, traditions, and languages (and skin color, of course). Well, assuming the various ethno-states could resist warring with one another, that is.

Frankly, I'm sick to death of hearing about race and a bunch of ancillary whining. I suppose I wouldn't have to endure it if I were in an "ethno-state." Let's see... mine would be of Nordic heritage, serve lots of lefse and lutefisk at the local fast food joints, and speak either Norwegian, Danish, or Icelandic. Yeah, I could live with that, I suppose. I wonder how long it would be, though, before "race wars" between those with blue eyes and those with brown broke out. And those with green eyes would have to run to the hills and hide from the wokethorities because they are "evil" and responsible for all the world's ills.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:45 PM

46 posts, read 25,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Would a world of ethnostates really be so bad?

No, probably not. Sure would save on a lot of "racism" accusation BS being thrown around and people getting all bent out of shape because others have different beliefs, customs, traditions, and languages (and skin color, of course). Well, assuming the various ethno-states could resist warring with one another, that is.
Interesting point. Mutually assured destruction cares not for ethnicity, however.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:50 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
People technically already do that here, China town, little Tokyo, groups of Italian neighborhoods, black communities etc....
All those are nothing but micro-ethnostates.

The larger ethnostate is the American culture. It is very much alike no matter where we live, what race we are, what our gender is, or our native language.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:38 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
This whole fetish about "diversity" is a fairly recent concept. For most of human history (and continuing through to today, in many places), people prefer to be among their own kind. Most nations throughout history, and many even today, are ethnostates, de facto if not de jour. When outside colonizers have created artificial nations that did not respect these divisions, such as with Nigeria and Yugoslavia, horrific bloodshed has resulted.

Of course, the "my race is better than everyone else's" mentality that can result from such states has led to problems of its own. Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan are two obvious examples of this. Germany, as with other nations in Western Europe, is dealing with this by artificially diversifying, with often unpleasant results. Japan seems to have adopted the notion of "my race is still better than everyone else's, but we're not going to make a big deal about it."

Old 04-07-2021, 06:44 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I’d find that dreadfully boring, quite frankly. I’m not into the comfort of being around what I already know more deeply than anything else.

That’s probably a byproduct of actually growing up in, and being normalized to, a highly diverse area. Even though where I live now has, if not become more diverse, then has at least started to welcome in different foods, fresh types of art, etc., I still feel it’s slightly stunted despite local boosters (rightly) saying that it’s not the case that we are some sort of enclave here.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:49 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
This is pretty stupid idea, with apology.
All it does is to separate and build walls between humans even more, than it is now.
before, there was humanity. You were valued on your merit. White countries had black generals and visa versa. Chinese emperors had white, even worse, Jesuit highest ranked advisors. No one gave rat's tail about what color your skin was, but lots of interest, in what man you were.
So now you want to build walls between tribes, cultures, ehtnicities? For what good reason? And, how you gonna resolve this with Americans, who are as mixed blood, as it goes, and counting? What will be next - states based on gender, sexual orientation, height, shoe size? How about MENSA members state? One for Downs? Options are many, if you step onto that slipper slope.
DIVIDE ET IMPERA.
Divide and rule (Latin: divide et impera), or divide and conquer, in politics and sociology is gaining and maintaining power by breaking up larger concentrations of power into pieces that individually have less power than the one implementing the strategy.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:52 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is pretty stupid idea, with apology.
All it does is to separate and build walls between humans even more, than it is now.
before, there was humanity. You were valued on your merit. White countries had black generals and visa versa. Chinese emperors had white, even worse, Jesuit highest ranked advisors. No one gave rat's tail about what color your skin was, but lots of interest, in what man you were.
So now you want to build walls between tribes, cultures, ehtnicities? For what good reason? And, how you gonna resolve this with Americans, who are as mixed blood, as it goes, and counting? What will be next - states based on gender, sexual orientation, height, shoe size? How about MENSA members state? One for Downs? Options are many, if you step onto that slipper slope.
DIVIDE ET IMPERA.
Divide and rule (Latin: divide et impera), or divide and conquer, in politics and sociology is gaining and maintaining power by breaking up larger concentrations of power into pieces that individually have less power than the one implementing the strategy.
Well said.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:46 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Excerpts: This a theoretical thought exercise,

Response: Opinion

I can only imagine how many tribes?

White,Black,Brown,Yellow.............tribes.
Male,Female,Children.............tribes.
Gay ,Straight tribes.
Dog loving,gun loving tribes.
Working,Non contributing tribes.
A salad mix of all tribes or simply loner tribes.

It's all about choice. As long as we are all given the freedom
to choose and the opportunity to be chosen there should be no
problem fitting in anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies