Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 06:19 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,498,498 times

Advertisements

I have a few Chinese friends in the LA area who tell me that it's pretty bad there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 06:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,537,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloCleaveland View Post
What are the stats on anti-Asian violence going on now, at least according to the media?

Where are these hate crimes concentrated. Certainly a lot of the available video is black males attacking Asians, especially in NYC.

Why has this anti-Asian violence just recently been the focus of a lot of attention? Why is white supremacy at the root of this if, at least in NYC, it seems the issue is black-on-Asian violence.

There has been on and off again racial tensions between the Asian and black communities for decades; the LA Rodney King 1992 riots for example when black rioters specifically targeted Asians and their businesses.

I saw a news report from Philly that there were two anti-Asian slurs spray painted on a sidewalk tree planter in Chinatown and another on a school playground.

The Chinatown slur was painted over by the time the news media/cops arrived. No pictures otherise. Not sure about the playground graffiti.
I remember this movie being a pretty big deal back in the day. I have no idea how movies like this are still around, and on YouTube nonetheless, especially if Dr. Seuss needed to be cleansed.

Menace to Society: Hurry Up and Buy!
https://youtu.be/L-YbIMXXpgc

Last edited by BigJon3475; 04-11-2021 at 07:19 PM..

Old 04-11-2021, 06:39 PM

18,755 posts, read 7,663,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloCleaveland View Post
Why has this anti-Asian violence just recently been the focus of a lot of attention? Why is white supremacy at the root of this if, at least in NYC, it seems the issue is black-on-Asian violence.
It doesn't suit the media's long-term agenda that blacks are attacking Asians. So they announce it as whites attacking Asians instead.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:40 PM

18,621 posts, read 8,417,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I have a few Chinese friends in the LA area who tell me that it's pretty bad there.
yeah but who's doing it....are they white?....latin?...black?

...I know that the 3 girls that attacked the Uber driver looked very black to me

Old 04-12-2021, 12:22 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,241,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
My parents are from South America. Colombia had alot of crime and violence back in the 80s and my family left. We did not leave for money to come to America, but to escape crime and violence.
You know there are many countries with less crime than America. In fact, America probably has the highest crime rate of any developed country.

There is no doubt that violence was a major reason for leaving Colombia, but you wouldn't have come to America if it was poor.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:06 AM

17,025 posts, read 12,644,940 times
So now we have black guys who are white?

Old 04-12-2021, 06:12 AM

24,833 posts, read 9,605,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Unless you're rich and live in the suburbs, LA is bad for everyone.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:51 AM

6,836 posts, read 3,080,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
So now we have black guys who are white?
What's that mean? Is that some Cultural Appropriation?

Klan with a Tan ?

It's not like I speed through the hillbilly South to NYC and be like,..whew,...so glad all the racists are behind me. lol.

Bigots and Thugs come in all shapes and sizes.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:45 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,241,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Native Americans were also killing and enslaving other people too. Native Americans also enslaved blacks too.
1) Not all Native-Americans. Many were relatively peaceful. Of the ones who weren't, a lot of the uptick in violence was the result of European contact.

I remember watching an Animal Planet where it was following around a group of lions. Each group basically stakes off a territory, and pretty much refuses to leave it even when they're starving. The reason is, leaving that territory basically means war with the neighboring lions. The great herds migrate across these territories, and as the herds travel through each territory the lions there have plenty to eat, but for much of the year the pickings are pretty slim.

Most predators will do just about anything to avoid conflict with other predators, even if they can win, because the risk of getting seriously injured is too high, and serious injury often means death(from disease). When you look at our closest relatives, the Chimpanzee, they don't go to war with neighboring groups. They will only pick off individual chimpanzees who stumble into their territory when they outnumber them like five to one.

As I like to say, "No one wants a fair fight"... The reason is, in a fair fight you can lose. And more importantly, even if you win, a fair fight is usually a Pyrrhic victory. The cost of winning is greater than the benefits from winning. And primitive tribes waging war against each other would basically be a war of extermination, on both sides.

If you imagine two tribes, both with a hundred able-bodied men fighting a battle to the death. Even the winning side would likely have casualties of 75 percent or more, and those who didn't die in the battle would likely die days later of infection.

If there were only two tribes, you might argue that such losses are acceptable if it means you've completely wiped out your enemy. But there aren't two tribes, there are dozens, hundreds even. So even if you can defeat one tribe, if you lose 80% of your warriors, another tribe can easily take you over, and if they know your history of violence, they will seize the opportunity.

The only reason modern nations engage in war so readily is that their technology gives them massive advantages, or what they call "force multipliers". Thus the cost of war has been reduced to almost nothing(for the more advanced side). They could kill ten, a hundred, a thousand men for every one they lose. And because their populations are so large, the men they do lose are easily replaced.

Now let's go back to the chimpanzees, who generally maintain a kind of balance of power between each group, and imagine Europeans showed up and offered to sell them the chimpanzee equivalent of boomsticks and other implements which would give them massive advantages. And furthermore, imagine if these same people, with their boomsticks, began to take much of the territory for themselves, leaving less territory for everyone else. This was the reality for the Native tribes, who understood that they couldn't defeat the Europeans to retake their territory, which left them only the option of taking territory from other tribes.

Thus they were not given the choice between peace and war, but between war and starvation. And furthermore, the Europeans, with their superior technology, can basically pick the side they want to win by selling them weapons of war. So each tribe must always stay in the good graces of Europeans or be conquered, if not exterminated.

I remember they brought an African Queen before some kind of court to ask her why she was enslaving Africans and selling them to Europeans, and she said something like, "We had no choice. It was either enslave or be enslaved. The Europeans demanded slaves. Either they would get them from us, or from our rivals."

2) Native-Americans didn't own a single ship that could cross the Atlantic. They didn't enslave blacks, they bought already enslaved blacks from whites. And I'm fairly sure this only happened with the so-called "Civilized tribes". Because generally-speaking, slavery can only exist in civilization. In a primitive setting, slaves can just run away. There is no fugitive-slave act because there is no one to return the slaves, and no real concept of property. In fact, slavery is historically inseparable from agriculture. Where subsistence is agricultural, and where agriculture is done primarily by hand, there is almost always slavery in some form(including serfdom). Other than the Aztecs, pretty much none of the North-American Indians were agricultural.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:48 AM

15,086 posts, read 10,163,211 times
Don't agree with the article. I am asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies