Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 06:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,737,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And you are assuming 75 million gun owners are interested in and have the skills to participate. Heck the guy who posted isn't even really willing. He just likes the fantasy.

I don't think he's the exception.
Enough would be....And don't think the local PD or even National Guard are going to do your dirty work for you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 06:26 PM

1,711 posts, read 810,586 times
Back last April there was talks of food shortages.

TP is important but not critical. Mankind existed for thousands of years without it. Food on the otherhand...

How about a food shortage and the masses hear you have a freezer full and decide they are going to requisition it for themselves. A little late to start the permit process.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:01 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,362,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
75 million gun owners would be tough for a tyrannical government to attack or wipe out.

And why do you think you'd have to take on the "full power" of the government?

Look at the wars in Afghanistan that both Russia and the USA tried. Look at Vietnam. Both of those places are rag tag compared to the US military, but unless the military wished to nuke entire neighborhoods with insane collateral damage, it would be very difficult to go against a massive amount of people armed with small arms.

Not only that, but the public backlash against a government that would do that would be so great that it would lead to a situation where the military itself would likely turn on the leaders in Washington.

You haven't thought any of this through, obviously.
They're not capable of thinking.

It's highly unlikely that the Pentagon's arsenal would be used against American civilians. They'd have to obliterate every single town, village, city and neighborhood. If so the military would have to destroy their own friends, family and neighborhoods. There would be absolutely nothing left for them to come back to. If the civilian population were destroyed who'd supply the military with supplies? There'd be nobody left to work the factories, farm the fields and deliver the supplies. All commerce would come to a grinding halt.

About the only way they could possibly do it would be to go on house to house searches where they would be met with overwhelming and fierce resistance. With a continental land mass of 3,800,000 square miles they just don't have the manpower to search every home throughout the United States. Not too mention all of the remote areas that hardly anyone knows even exist. Indeed there are tens of thousands of people who live in these places throughout the United States. The armed civilian population are scattered all over the continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii. It would be impossible for the military to declare and enforce Martial Law throughout the entire United States.

The armed civilian population at around 100 million or so would vastly outnumber government forces. According to Wikipedia, there are 1,477,896 active and 1,458,500 reserve personal in the US Armed Forces. This includes Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. I'd be willing to bet that at least 75% of those who serve in the military are strong supporters of the 2nd Amendment and Constitutional law same for state and local law enforcement personnel. My guess is that the majority of service members would disobey orders, and in all probability would use their weapons against those that ordered them to do so. It wouldn't surprise me if they joined forces with the civilian population that takes up arms in the fight against a tyrannical form of government. The first to go would be the politicians that gave the orders.

There would be a guerrilla war. The United States with it's superior military force couldn't beat back the North Vietnamese, short of using nuclear weapons. In which case there would have been a third world war and the end of all life as we know it.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:10 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
I took a half day gun safety class and we learned to load and shot a few different handguns. I couldn't have bought one if I wanted to because they were sold out of most things at the time, but my dad and brother have several and would let me have one if I wanted.

Why? It just seemed like a good thing to do 'in these uncertain times'..lol

Old 04-11-2021, 08:31 PM

19,833 posts, read 9,398,479 times
Wow, I had no idea this thread would incite such passion and so many responses!

Thanks, EVERYONE, for your replies!

Old 04-12-2021, 04:44 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,006,908 times
Not in the past year, but the events of the past year - rioting, looting, civil unrest, attacks on innocent civilians in their owns stores or homes - have re-enforced, my decision to own a variety of guns.

I came to a realization during the aftermath of some minor hurricanes: you have to be prepared for EVERY eventuality and that includes civil unrest. Following Wilma in 2005 the electricity was out for two weeks and many, if not most people were completely unprepared. And even when food and water started being handed out, these people were fighting each other over Pringles and bottles of water! I could only imagine how much worse it could have been if Wilma had been a Katrina!

So I decided that I wanted to be more than just prepared with my own supplies of food and water, and a generator. I finally wanted to own firearms for self-defense and home protection. I was worried that these unprepared people who refused to listen to authorities and take personal responsibility for their own well-being would become increasingly desperate by taking advantage of those that did the right thing and loot stores, burglarize homes, and destroy property getting what they wanted. And all while law enforcement is otherwise occupied with the immediate crisis, or as in some cases today will NOT respond at all!

Now I have several firearms, each for a different purpose: daytime/nighttime, close-in or far away, personal carry, and even multiple threats like gangs. It is just like have different tools for different jobs... you don't have just one screwdriver, right?

And with these firearms I plan to defend my family, my home and myself from all criminals, because if things get worse - they're going to come into your neighborhood and into your house to take your stuff. And that ain't gonna happen on my Watch!

Old 04-12-2021, 06:25 AM

4,922 posts, read 2,066,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
After reading this thread, Note to self: Buy more ammo.
Ammunition is hard to come by these days UNLESS you’re willing to pay 4X-5X more than the current retail price is.

I’m good on ammo since after the 2008 elections, I learned that you should buy this stuff in the “good times” since you don’t know then the “bad times” are coming.

What kills me is that I have several liberal family members and friends that feel “I” should give them some of my ammo since in their minds, “I have enough to share,” which isn’t happening and I’ve made that very clear... I’ve only given ammo to my adult kids and my ex-wife, a liberal that also asked for help in picking the right pistol for herself and some hands-on training on it.

They were the same people that laughed at me since I also maintain an emergency food/water supply prior to 2020, but in 2020, were asking what and where to buy when the store shelves were empty.

In my area, modern semi-automatic pistols and AR rifles are showing up on the shelves of our local gun shops now on a regular basis, which is a good thing, but it’s the ammunition that hasn’t made a comeback yet and probably not for at least for another year or so.

A couple of the local gun shops in my area are holding back some ammo to sell to individuals who are buying a new firearm from them. They normally will sell you one or two boxes at inflated prices, but a firearm is useless without ammo, so you end up paying the $40-$50 for a box of cheap Full Metal Jacketed cartridges that normally sold for around $12-$18 a box before all the craziness started.

A box of 9mm FMJs (Practice Ammo), prior to 2020 cost around $10-$13 for a box of 50 rounds, but today, for the same type of 9mm FMJs, the “good” price is now between $19-$22... I’ve been able to pick up about 100 rounds, on a average, a month in 9mm since April 2020 till now. This amount allows me to go to the range about 3-4 times a year to shoot. I also pick up several different calibers if and when I see them for sell at the “non-rip off” stores.

After reading this thread, people are realizing that its on them for their own “self preservation,” which is a good thing, but at the same time, people need to think about maintaining at least 100 rounds of good defensive Hollow Point ammo on hand... Another 300-500 rounds of FMJs would be ideal as a good minimum as well, IMHO.

Point and case about “buying” ammo, in my area, we have a 10 day waiting period before you can take possession of a handgun... The day my ex bought her Glock 9mm pistol and by some freak chance, they had some 9mm for sale on their shelves... At $20 a box. I told her to grab two boxes, 100 rounds, but she being herself, only bought one box, thinking that she would simply buy a second box when she would pick up her pistol. Well, when she sent to pick up her Glock, they had no ammo to sell.

So that the range, she ended up paying $60 for two boxes of cheap 9mm FMJs to practice, so with her 150 rounds, plus 100 of the ammo I donated to this cause, she was able to get two solid days of training on the range... I ended up giving her a box of 50 hollow points and a box of 50 FMJs to keep at her house.

Sorry for the long story, but stock up on some ammo when you see it since it’s easier to find a firearm, but it’s tougher to find the ammo at a fair price.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:18 AM

795 posts, read 408,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Ammunition is hard to come by these days UNLESS you’re willing to pay 4X-5X more than the current retail price is.

I’m good on ammo since after the 2008 elections, I learned that you should buy this stuff in the “good times” since you don’t know then the “bad times” are coming.

What kills me is that I have several liberal family members and friends that feel “I” should give them some of my ammo since in their minds, “I have enough to share,” which isn’t happening and I’ve made that very clear... I’ve only given ammo to my adult kids and my ex-wife, a liberal that also asked for help in picking the right pistol for herself and some hands-on training on it.

They were the same people that laughed at me since I also maintain an emergency food/water supply prior to 2020, but in 2020, were asking what and where to buy when the store shelves were empty.

In my area, modern semi-automatic pistols and AR rifles are showing up on the shelves of our local gun shops now on a regular basis, which is a good thing, but it’s the ammunition that hasn’t made a comeback yet and probably not for at least for another year or so.

A couple of the local gun shops in my area are holding back some ammo to sell to individuals who are buying a new firearm from them. They normally will sell you one or two boxes at inflated prices, but a firearm is useless without ammo, so you end up paying the $40-$50 for a box of cheap Full Metal Jacketed cartridges that normally sold for around $12-$18 a box before all the craziness started.

A box of 9mm FMJs (Practice Ammo), prior to 2020 cost around $10-$13 for a box of 50 rounds, but today, for the same type of 9mm FMJs, the “good” price is now between $19-$22... I’ve been able to pick up about 100 rounds, on a average, a month in 9mm since April 2020 till now. This amount allows me to go to the range about 3-4 times a year to shoot. I also pick up several different calibers if and when I see them for sell at the “non-rip off” stores.

After reading this thread, people are realizing that its on them for their own “self preservation,” which is a good thing, but at the same time, people need to think about maintaining at least 100 rounds of good defensive Hollow Point ammo on hand... Another 300-500 rounds of FMJs would be ideal as a good minimum as well, IMHO.

Point and case about “buying” ammo, in my area, we have a 10 day waiting period before you can take possession of a handgun... The day my ex bought her Glock 9mm pistol and by some freak chance, they had some 9mm for sale on their shelves... At $20 a box. I told her to grab two boxes, 100 rounds, but she being herself, only bought one box, thinking that she would simply buy a second box when she would pick up her pistol. Well, when she sent to pick up her Glock, they had no ammo to sell.

So that the range, she ended up paying $60 for two boxes of cheap 9mm FMJs to practice, so with her 150 rounds, plus 100 of the ammo I donated to this cause, she was able to get two solid days of training on the range... I ended up giving her a box of 50 hollow points and a box of 50 FMJs to keep at her house.

Sorry for the long story, but stock up on some ammo when you see it since it’s easier to find a firearm, but it’s tougher to find the ammo at a fair price.

All of this for sure. Even hand loading supplies are in short supply these days. I haven’t personally bought in a while as I have a decent stockpile, but I’ve seen quite a few reports that powder and primers are getting as hard to find as assembled ammo is.

For the uninitiated reading this, hand loading is making your own ammunition at home. You take all the parts that make up the round, the brass, the bullet, the powder, and the primer and using specialized equipment you assemble the rounds yourself.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,134,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I do not thing anyone needs a semi automatic to protect their home. Christ, go take some classes and learn how to shoot a bullseye.

Nothing like taking out your neighbors when you have a single intruder in your house.
At the risk of offending a mod, you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:27 AM

24,439 posts, read 23,098,542 times
The military would in all likelihood side with the civilians against the government so that's not a worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies