Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 01:34 PM

8,241 posts, read 3,495,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I hope. I want no part of what Biden and his crew have to offer....SERIOUSLY! All you that think old man joe is the best, go follow him and do what he dictates. That's not how I want to live.

Split the country 100%. Let all the illegal border jumpers go with old man joe. He can also take all the riff raff that came in with all of them. I want nothing to do with the corrupt old geezer.
You think they will let you and people like you exist after they have total power? Look at how someone gets destroyed just for saying something that they don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 01:42 PM

8,241 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
How has having 9 justices failed that it is important to have more?
They need control of the court to make disarmament fully possible.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:50 PM

84 posts, read 62,019 times
Can someone explain to me how the court is broken?

Not sure of his name, but I just heard that some dem stated the other day, The supreme court is broken. It is out of balance.

How so? I understand it may not be perfect, but broken?

Old 04-17-2021, 08:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendrixStyle View Post
But now, with this radical left-wing dem party we have - which is not the same dem part we used to have - the fear is that the dems will pass legislation, which will then be approved by SCOTUS.

Repealing the 2nd A, repealing right-to-work laws, cutting/defunding police (we already see what affect this has had), reparations for slavery, open borders, DC statehood, giving people who are here illegally the right to vote, and on. Some of these things can/will lead to one-party rule, and there is the problem. Goodbye to balance.
You mention repealing the Second Amendment. The Supreme Court can't do that. It has only been done once when the 18th Amendment was repealed by the 21st Amendment. It would require a new amendment. The Constitution requires that an amendment be proposed by two-thirds of the House and Senate, or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the state legislatures. It is up to the states to approve a new amendment, with three-quarters of the states voting to ratifying it.

How would the Supreme Court defund police? They are funded by local governments.

We will never have an open border with Mexico.

The Supreme Court has nothing to do with making Washington D.C. a state. It will take 60 votes in the Senate.

I could go on, but none of these things have anything to do with one party rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
You think they will let you and people like you exist after they have total power? Look at how someone gets destroyed just for saying something that they don't like.
Who is the "they" you are referring to? Who got destroyed?

Old 04-17-2021, 09:08 PM

84 posts, read 62,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You mention repealing the Second Amendment. The Supreme Court can't do that. It has only been done once when the 18th Amendment was repealed by the 21st Amendment. It would require a new amendment. The Constitution requires that an amendment be proposed by two-thirds of the House and Senate, or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the state legislatures. It is up to the states to approve a new amendment, with three-quarters of the states voting to ratifying it.

How would the Supreme Court defund police? They are funded by local governments.

The Supreme Court has nothing to do with making Washington D.C. a state. It will take 60 votes in the Senate.

I could go on, but none of these things have anything to do with one party rule.
You make it sound as tho I said the courts would do these things. I never said that.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:39 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
My thought as a retired attorney:

It has long been the thought, if not in practice, that there should be one Justice for each Circuit for emergency appeals and such.

We have nine Justices, and thirteen districts.

Either we 1) raise the number of Justices to meet the number of districts, or 2) we reduce the current districts to nine.

Laymen don't realize that each Justice is in charge of a district; a few Justices are in charge of two or more (since we have nine justices for 13 districts).

I have not heard of one attorney that is in favor of reducing the number of districts. Indeed, you often read of attorneys hating that, for instance, the ninth district covers such a large, disparate part of the western coast, as well as Alaska and Hawaii.

See:

https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content..._id=0000000135

You must think about which is best for the judiciary.

If the SC was 6-3 in Dems favor would this be a thing at all?

No.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:02 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
You make it sound as tho I said the courts would do these things. I never said that.
You stated, "the dems will pass legislation, which will then be approved by SCOTUS." SCOTUS does not approve legislation. They only rule on the constitutionality of laws.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:25 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

?
What? 170K+ people just walzed into our so-called "nation" last month alone. That's like the size of a major American city...in ONE MONTH.

If this nation doesn't have an open border, I don't know which nation does.

There are an estimate (at least) 22 million people here who should not be here.

The SCOTUS has been an executive/legislative third branch now for decades.

remember when the "conservative" (not really conservative at all) Roberts decided that homosexual marriage was the same as hetero marriage?

Old 04-18-2021, 08:30 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,098 times
Quote:
Slim to none is correct - as long as 60 votes is needed. If that changes...

It's not the number. It's the fact that Biden will nominate four justices, and if they get confirmed (I think it's a simple maj) that gives the maj to the dems/left. Which in olden times (just a few years ago) would be fine. SCOTUS dem/left maj or SCOTUS rep/right maj; not that big a deal. Maybe on a few issues/cases here and there, but overall, no. Balance is a good thing.

But now, with this radical left-wing dem party we have - which is not the same dem part we used to have - the fear is that the dems will pass legislation, which will then be approved by SCOTUS.

Repealing the 2nd A, repealing right-to-work laws, cutting/defunding police (we already see what affect this has had), reparations for slavery, open borders, DC statehood, giving people who are here illegally the right to vote, and on. Some of these things can/will lead to one-party rule, and there is the problem. Goodbye to balance.

The expectation is they’ll use the argument there are 13 circuits and should be 13 judges to abolish the filibuster so they only need 51 votes for this to pass.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:23 AM

6,116 posts, read 3,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
If this passes and goes to the Senate and becomes law . . .

Goodbye to what was the United States of America.
The country is already gone. But this bill would make it more obvious that it was gone.

In reality, it doesn’t matter. It’s over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies