Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 04:52 PM

4,064 posts, read 2,151,434 times

Advertisements

Georgia, like most states, is having an increase in people doing donuts and other things in parking lots and drag racing on highways and streets. I live right on a major road and hear it almost every night from aboytv10:30 to 3 (I am a light sleeper). I have called the police a couple times, as have neighbors. They say they will investigate. But it seems like they are never there on their own, even though they know it happens especially on Saturday nights.

I wondered why there isn’t more of a crackdown and today read an article in the paper. Critics are against more penalties and arrests because they say it will disproportionately impact people of color. ??? I don’t see how the police stopping this activity is disproportionately targeting people of color. I honestly had no idea what races were doing it...I actually thought it would be a more white redneck type thing like NASCAR more than black. But if it impacts people of color more because the majority doing it are of color, than so be it. Critics are afraid that people will lose their cars (and it could be a car that a person borrowed from their family), be charged with crimes, etc. So now we aren’t going to prosecute crimes if they are more typically committed by minorities? Should we just reserve arrests and prosecution for crimes more typically committed by whites, like white collar crime a la Bernie Madoff?

And these critics don’t seem concerned about innocent peoples’ property, body, and lives being impacted or lost...just that people committing criminally dangerous activities might get charged with crimes and have penalties...like the Southern Center fir Human Rights. What about the human rights of innocent people on the road? Yeah, I get it, stay off the roads after 10 pm and let them have their playgrounds. But before my husband died, there were ER visits at 2 am. It was scary enough to deal with emergency medical issues, but at least I just had to worry about drunk drivers then and not this racing. And by the way, I hear it so much that I have started to use white noise and nature sounds to cover it up.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...LVRWQC3ZAIK2E/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 05:25 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,039,194 times
I read about how some neighbors found an innovative way to stop street racers on their block. They setup remote controlled sprinklers that shot jets of water at full force into the street. When the racers came by on a sunny day they got drenched. Even more funny if they were in a convertible or jeep with the top down.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:27 PM

8,543 posts, read 4,783,181 times
Meh, I guess I don’t particularly get bothered by racers. Have at it folks. Don’t kill anybody when you wreck your cars.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:15 AM

29,597 posts, read 14,732,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
I read about how some neighbors found an innovative way to stop street racers on their block. They setup remote controlled sprinklers that shot jets of water at full force into the street. When the racers came by on a sunny day they got drenched. Even more funny if they were in a convertible or jeep with the top down.
This is probably the best way to stop it. And it isn't about the racers getting wet, you can't race on a wet surface. The Detroit PD used to do that on French road back in the 90's , it was a great racing spot. Many people have heard about Woodward, and Telegraph and thought those were the racing streets. Maybe they were back in the 60's, but in my time it was just a place to cruise and meet up. The real racing in the area was French rd, Outerdrive, 96 & Joy, Livernois and Warren, West Jefferson, 12th & Clairmont , then in the burbs Hall rd, 16 mile I96 & Beck. There were spots in Pontiac, Flint, Lansing.

I hate to admit this, but I still find myself interested in the street racing scene. And I'm not talking dorks in cars doing donuts, that isn't street racing. I'm talking to cars pair off racing either an 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile.

I did it for probably 10 year back in the late 80's and early 90's, as did many of my friends. I'd trailer my car to other cities to race. Back then though, the average car ran 11,12's at 115-120, the next level where into the 10's at 125-130, then you had the really fast guys, they ran 9's or less at 140-150's.
My car was in the mid 10's second range. Today's cars are much faster, I'd say the average now is 10's and the fast guys are running high 7's. It's isn't hard to make 1500hp now.

I've got so many stories from racing the streets I should write a book. There were even some people that became famous (in the car scene) that street raced. A friend lost $1500 (back in the late 80's) to Mike Moran, who is a well know engine builder/ fabricator now. The guy that taught me how to tune a nitrous car was the engine tuner for Jim Wangers Anyone into Pontiacs knows who Wangers is. He was hardcore into the street racing scene. Actually had a six figure budget to run two cars here in Michigan, and two out in LA. He never drove the cars, he had a paid driver. And then all the individuals from Detroit that had, sketchy careers, most moving pharmaceuticals. I've scene a few $10k street races.

Now, I haven't been in a race car since I sold mine in '95. And even if I had one , would race it on the street. It just isn't worth the dangers. It isn't just your life on the line, but many others that you could potentially kill.

I do follow some Youtube channels, that video a lot of racing. This one from Louisiana reminds me a lot of the street scene in Detroit back in the day.

https://youtu.be/JVC81fIG14E

Last edited by scarabchuck; 04-28-2021 at 07:11 AM..

Old 04-28-2021, 06:20 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Georgia, like most states, is having an increase in people doing donuts and other things in parking lots and drag racing on highways and streets. I live right on a major road and hear it almost every night from aboytv10:30 to 3 (I am a light sleeper). I have called the police a couple times, as have neighbors. They say they will investigate. But it seems like they are never there on their own, even though they know it happens especially on Saturday nights.

I wondered why there isn’t more of a crackdown and today read an article in the paper. Critics are against more penalties and arrests because they say it will disproportionately impact people of color. ??? I don’t see how the police stopping this activity is disproportionately targeting people of color. I honestly had no idea what races were doing it...I actually thought it would be a more white redneck type thing like NASCAR more than black. But if it impacts people of color more because the majority doing it are of color, than so be it. Critics are afraid that people will lose their cars (and it could be a car that a person borrowed from their family), be charged with crimes, etc. So now we aren’t going to prosecute crimes if they are more typically committed by minorities? Should we just reserve arrests and prosecution for crimes more typically committed by whites, like white collar crime a la Bernie Madoff?

And these critics don’t seem concerned about innocent peoples’ property, body, and lives being impacted or lost...just that people committing criminally dangerous activities might get charged with crimes and have penalties...like the Southern Center fir Human Rights. What about the human rights of innocent people on the road? Yeah, I get it, stay off the roads after 10 pm and let them have their playgrounds. But before my husband died, there were ER visits at 2 am. It was scary enough to deal with emergency medical issues, but at least I just had to worry about drunk drivers then and not this racing. And by the way, I hear it so much that I have started to use white noise and nature sounds to cover it up.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...LVRWQC3ZAIK2E/
In the article they clearly stated that in one week end they issued 68 citations....sounds to me like there is some effort....problem is hard to completely stop.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:29 AM

2,332 posts, read 1,039,194 times
Or the city can be reasonable and build speed bumps along favored drag racing roads.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:30 AM

13,703 posts, read 9,034,620 times
One long neighborhood street here in Fort Worth solved it by placing street bumps every block or two. It worked, but impractical to carry out widespread. This one street was notorious for speeders trying to hit a 'record' speed. This back in the early 1970s.

Funny how street racing ebbs and flows. It was quite popular for a while in the 1950s (if movies tell the tale correctly). I know it was popular in the early 1970s, when we had new 'muscle' cars coming out (Camaro, Boss Mustang, etc). I rather think we had another bout of racing in the early 2000s.

We have had one bystander killed here, a week ago.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:31 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,623,319 times
LOL never street raced but back in the stone age took my Chevy and did doughnuts in a local parking lot during a snowstorm. Cop drove by. Saw I was in the middle of an empty parking lot and decided that he had better things to do so he went away.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:33 AM

4,064 posts, read 2,151,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In the article they clearly stated that in one week end they issued 68 citations....sounds to me like there is some effort....problem is hard to completely stop.
Right..but they are also looking into more stringent laws and consequences, but people are criticizing it, saying it will have negative consequences towards people of color.

I live on a street where it goes on every Saturday night, from 10:30 pm to 3 a.m. you would think cops could be stationed there instead of residents having to call them. They sit for hours during the day catching regular speeders.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:35 AM

78,599 posts, read 60,785,925 times
They have this problem every so often surge up, last time was when the fast and furious movies were really popular.

Gets bad enough they just start taking their cars and auctioning them off.

Stops pretty quickly after that, not to mention when they lose their license, have no insurance etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies