Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 08:30 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,232,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
Fair enough. I should probably clarify my point and say that you're correct in being concerned about law enforcement officials at any level spouting political rhetoric. It's a bad precedent no matter what side they're on. That's why I was pointing out the irony of being overly concerned about the mere possibility a local law enforcement official is treading into questionable territory while not even acknowledging that the chief law enforcement agency in the country (and on earth) not only treads into dangerous political territory with its rhetoric but actually puts those ideas that can lead to political retribution into actual practice. I'm not saying you're guilty of that btw. I just find it amazing that many of the same people pointing out how potentially dangerous and concerning the local sheriff's comments supposedly were towards Democrats will often turn around and laugh off and completely dismiss the concerns many conservatives have regarding the political retribution that seems to be at least somewhat evident in the actions from the 3 letter agencies towards conservatives.

Along those lines, what are your thoughts about law enforcement officials vigorously investigating and prematurely suggesting a common garage door pulldown rope was an act of "domestic terrorism" while the same law enforcement agency was unable or unwilling to conclude that shooting up a baseball field full of Republican lawmakers somehow didn't rise to the same level of domestic terrorism?
Except I didn’t say I was concerned about law enforcement officials at any level spouting political rhetoric.

It takes very little to hurt Dems feelings, and Judd obviously did that to many here.

The pull down rope was ridiculous. Bubba Wallace blew it entirely out of proportion because muh racist, and I’m not surprised in the least that he and so many insisted so quickly that it was an act of domestic terrorism. It just proves how triggered folks are to play the race card. As to the Republican lawmakers incident, I’m not in the least surprised that it didn’t rise to such level as ridiculous as Bubbas clown show. It’s simply hypocrisy at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Thank you. And like I said it's perfectly great for a sheriff to warn people that if they are going to damage property and be violent, they're going to be prosecuted severely. They SHOULD be saying that.

The difference in hurting someone's feelings with expressing a political belief is great when comparing a regular citizen (whether they're an electrician, farmer, hedge fund manager, etc.) and a law enforcement official is that a big part of law enforcement's job is to gain the public trust. That's vital so that people in those communities feel comfortable calling when something isn't right in their area. If they don't because they're wary of that person and their leadership, bad things are more likely to fester and get worse. Politically correct or as touchy feely as it may be, it's part of doing the job effectively and professionally.

There's a big difference in a sheriff who sees their job as an elected office versus a political office. The ones who see themselves as elected officials tend to do a much better job than the ones who see themselves as a political office in my opinion after seeing various sheriffs come and go in different counties. And when they start pandering too much in one particular political direction or another, to me, that's a bad sign.

Just my opinion.
You don’t think the sheriff is doing and saying what he’s told to do by his superiors?

Old 04-21-2021, 08:44 PM

6,126 posts, read 4,614,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You don’t think the sheriff is doing and saying what he’s told to do by his superiors?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Yes, his superiors are technically voters in the county, being that their votes collectively hire, fire, or retain the sheriff. But then if he tells a sizeable percentage that their voting preferences are invalid, then he'd be defying some of his bosses in theory even if he's telling most of them what they want to hear. The sheriff doesn't report to the Governor or another elected official.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-21-2021 at 09:01 PM..

Old 04-21-2021, 08:47 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,260,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I wasn't talking about what the Sherriff said. I was addressing your comments about "stupid locals" and I'm not your "bro." We "stupid locals" may not be the class of people you hold (which includes you) in such high regard but I assure you stupidity isn't an affliction the most of us suffer from. My suggestion that you hold your tongue is aimed at the pompous arrogant superiority complex you displayed with the post I was answering. However if you wish to keep projecting that in such way I can't stop you from wanting to make yourself out to be an arse by way of self elevating yourself and your leftist peers to a height you don't truly dwell at.

We "stupid locals" are just as educated as your class of people are. Our brand of "sophistication" may radically differ from yours but that hardly makes it "stupid" and as to money...who cares? And no level of any of those things you may possess gives you call to insult demean and look down your nose at us from your lofty perch in leftist land.

Had you confined your commentary to just the Sherriff I wouldn't have bothered to reply. But you had to include "stupid locals" , people like me, in your tirade. Perhaps you should get out from behind your keyboard and proclaim these opinions of yours regarding "stupid locals" from the courthouse steps in FL where this Sherriff is in office. Oh I'm sure all passers by will drop to their knees in worship of your god like countenance.
To be fair I only used the words stupid locals because the sheriff called out those who vote democratic in that way using those specific words. I almost never use that word because I have a better vocabulary from all that schooling. I was giving it back in the words and sentiment mirroring the video. But then you’d have to follow the whole narrative from beginning to end - including the video where the sheriff tells everyone how to vote. I realize that it’s a long thread but you do owe it to yourself to be fully informed before being so smug and self righteous.
But that was some story there with the coyotes. Not sure it was relevant but I am sorry that you lost your horse.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Lol. Sure you didn’t
She says she's very wealthy.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:18 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
To be fair I only used the words stupid locals because the sheriff called out those who vote democratic in that way using those specific words. I almost never use that word because I have a better vocabulary from all that schooling. I was giving it back in the words and sentiment mirroring the video. But then you’d have to follow the whole narrative from beginning to end - including the video where the sheriff tells everyone how to vote. I realize that it’s a long thread but you do owe it to yourself to be fully informed before being so smug and self righteous.
But that was some story there with the coyotes. Not sure it was relevant but I am sorry that you lost your horse.
You have "a better vocabulary from all that schooling". Yet you refuse to use any of those words but rather you prefer to treat others in a condescending way. You seem to think that others don't have good vocabularies. How elitist and snobbish is that?

Old 04-21-2021, 09:21 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,598,470 times
That guy is a joke. Thanks for the laugh!!

Old 04-21-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
She says she's very wealthy.
Sure she is. Folks that tout how much money they have, often have very little. Much like the loudest person in the room is often the weakest.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:20 PM

17,673 posts, read 6,934,986 times
Quote:
Lol. Dems gonna vote Dem no matter what.
Fortunately they're outnumbered here in Florida.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:24 PM

17,673 posts, read 6,934,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No, no one way street at all. I've never said anyone who votes R is an *******.
LOL. No, they're just uneducated, bigoted racists who hate women and children. Whether you say it or not is irrelevant, you vote for people who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies