Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 07:10 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjspring View Post
Oh wow. I hope you catch up.

Low intelligence indeed.

Wow.
I haven't seen any evidence that you even understand the legal situation I posted about. In fact, you're demonstrating, quite arrogantly, the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjspring View Post
(Also, noted that you refused to answer a simple question).
It's not relevant to the topic, so it was ignored. If you want to start a new thread and invite me to it, I may choose to participate. In the meantime, try not to drag my thread off topic, ok?

Old 04-21-2021, 07:13 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I'm so glad all the "experts" are out in force on CD this morning. I'll definitely be getting my legal advice from this forum should I ever need it in the future.
LOL... you know the old saying “you get what you pay for”.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:14 AM

864 posts, read 440,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why havent we had more deaths from knee on neck? Its apparently deadly enough.

Cops need more leeway when it comes to manslaughter, or unintentional murder as they call it. Its an inherently risky occupation for all parties involved. Cops voluntarily put themselves into these positions.

https://news.yahoo.com/chauvin-likel...223459190.html

Quote from article:
"A jury on Tuesday found that Chauvin was guilty of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree "depraved mind" murder and second-degree manslaughter in the death of Floyd, a Black man.."

And I dont get the depraved mind charge. How they define this? And what is the difference between manslaughter and unintentional murder?

I hope Chauvin wins his appeal. The jurors either biased or scared. But apparently some legal experts say MSM influence and protests cannot be used as reason. That is BS. It absolutely should.
Absolutely. There was more than enough reasonable doubt here. George Floyd died because of George Floyd. He ingested multiple illegal drugs and was in very poor health. He was held in place by Chauvin because he was not cooperating and unpredictable. If this restraint was known to have a high probability of causing death it would not be an authorized restraint technique. At most a conviction was warranted on the lesser charge.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:14 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Here is an excellent explanation of the three charges:

https://lawprofessors.typepad.com/ev...rges-that.html

Old 04-21-2021, 07:15 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I'm so glad all the "experts" are out in force on CD this morning. I'll definitely be getting my legal advice from this forum should I ever need it in the future.
I don’t have a law degree either. I am kind of surprised so many posters here do. Honestly most don’t seem smart enough to have passed the bar exam. Maybe we are underestimating.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:16 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Count 1 was 2nd degree murder. An intentional act. The jury concluded that Chauvin intended to murder Floyd.

Count 3 was manslaughter. The jury also concluded that Chauvin didn't mean to kill Floyd, but accidentally did.

The two verdicts are legally inconsistent. It can't be both.
Not true. Maybe you should do some more homework before you post false info. They are not mutually exclusive charges therefore they are not inconsistent.

The jury found him guilty of second-degree murder while not intending to kill Floyd, but with intent to commit felony assault.

The third-degree murder charge was with reckless disregard, meaning he knew that putting his weight on Floyd’s neck could cause death, but he didn’t care.

Then he was found guilty of second-degree manslaughter with gross negligence, indicating no intent to kill, but his actions were done with a high degree of negligence, causing a danger to Floyd’s.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:17 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
So this must be the first stage in Kubler Ross’s stages of grief.

Chauvin’s going to prison. Cops are on notice. Best you can hope for is him serving less time in the long term for being a model convict.

Hats off to all the good cops out there who perform this treacherous job professionally with the desire to better our communities and not to assault them. Same goes for other professions that address human life and death, such as medicine and nursing etc..

Don’t become a cop to be a tough guy or girl or x.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:18 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Counts 1 and 3 are contradictory. The jury concluded that he both intentionally and unintentionally killed Floyd, which is impossible.

He'll get a retrial. Not an appeal; a new trial. There's precedent for this situation.

Hold onto your hats. The peaceful protestors aren't going to like it very much.

https://law.justia.com/cases/minneso...89-1156-2.html
I think he'll likely get a retrial. I hope if he does, he testifies to explain why the hell he continued keeping his knee on Floyd while Floyd complained of not being able to breathe. He needs to explain himself.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:19 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
will be funny to watch Chauvin spend his last remaining savings and future prison earnings on his doomed and pathetic attempts to fight the justice that he swore to, and then failed to uphold
My guess is he gets the minimum sentence since he's got no priors, 10 years 8 months. He had $1.1 million saved up, gave 700k to the wife in the divorce and is keeping $400k. My guess with 10 years of interest payments, that $400k will be sitting around $1,000,000 when he gets out.

He's probably going to change his name, retire in the Bahamas on the beach, write a book, make guest appearances, and forget all about the name George Floyd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Zero chance. The judge was negligent in not sequestering the jury or allowing it to be moved.
The jury having to worry about their own houses being burned down or pig's heads being left in their driveway while making a decision was complete negligence on the judge's part.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I would find it odd that the prosecution wouldn't know in advance that finding guilty on all three charges would not hold. and I question whether they would put the jury in that position to warrant a retrial based n the verdict.

Found this article that clearly suggests there will be no retrial for the three charges.

But as we know the judge presiding over the case when he spoke of Waters words basically encouraged the defense to go for a mistrial....so they may try based on that. As I mention in a previous post, I don't know if it would change the final outcome or if another trial would provide jurors with a situation where they are less likely to be 'tainted' by public statements.

https://apnews.com/article/derek-cha...e4993110d959df

To prove this{2nd degree murder, unintentional} count, prosecutors had to show that Chauvin killed Floyd while committing or trying to commit a felony — in this case, third-degree assault. They didn’t have to prove Chauvin intended to kill Floyd, only that he intended to apply unlawful force that caused bodily harm.

For this count {third degree murder},jurors had to find Chauvin caused Floyd’s death through an action that was “eminently dangerous” and carried out with a reckless disregard for and conscious indifference to the loss of life.

And for the last manslaughter charge, Prosecutors had to show that Chauvin caused Floyd’s death through culpable negligence that created an unreasonable risk, and that he consciously took the chance of causing severe injury or death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies