Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 02:38 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
We already have those and have had them for years. Hell in CA a pack of smokes is damn near $10 now with the sin tax. Last I heard NYC was pushing $15 a pack. The politicians absolutely pushed it thru. We have also raised the legal age here in CA to 21 to buy any tobacco products.

And yes, those ads are just annoying at this point. I stopped smoking cigs and switched to vaping a few years ago. I still find the anti smoking ads obnoxious. Even worse now is the new anti vaping ads. Like these anti smoking people just can’t be happy with anything. Never mind the fact that while tobacco is all evil and must be eliminated we are now legalizing pot all over the country and nobody is coming out against that? Talk about hypocrisy. I still like the smell of cigarettes but can’t stand the smell of weed. I’d rather see that banned and under the same scrutiny as tobacco.
I agree there is a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to smoking. I guess you can consume weed in other ways than smoking but I would guess the vast majority smoke it.

Overall, this is a tough subject for me to have a final opinion on. On one hand the tobacco companies develop products for maximum addiction - not cool. On the other, I agree that we may be getting to a point where the anit smoking people are going to far. If people want to smoke they will one way or another. There has been a lot of progress made with education. Everyone knows it is very harmful. What more do they want at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 03:25 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
It'd like nothing has changed since I was a kid in high school in the 60s except that a pack then only cost .35 cents out of a vending machine. Kids are still taking that first cigarette of many.

This huge push to eliminate smoking by increasing taxes like crazy doesn't work.. Right now the sin tax on this is 65% (Alberta, Canada).

The government has the public fooled that increasing the price of cigarettes is going to deter teenagers from smoking. If you have ever been a teenager this kind of tactic doesn't stop anything. I remember pooling our nickles to buy a pack and share it. Kids didn't have gigantic allowances then, if any.

What the gov is really after is the tax money. As a sin tax they can raise it to where ever they want.
Right now it is 65% and rising. How else, other than booze, lotteries, and gambling, will they recover after covid? With taxes like these.

Increasing a sin tax is more popular than increasing other taxes. However, these taxes have often been criticized for burdening the poor, taxing the physically and mentally dependent, and being part of a nanny state.

They also distract people from how many gas fumes and chemicals from industry are polluting the air using the argument that it is smokers who are polluting the air. Good God are we so dumb we fall for it?

Old 04-21-2021, 03:28 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Some cities and states you can now smoke Meth, Heroin, Crack, Pot but you can't have a refreshing Cig afterwards cause it might kill you.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:32 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Thanks Biden voters. Democrats are back to business as usual despite all these promises of leading a centrist administration. I don't smoke much but when I do I certainly don't want an ultra light. Might be time to hoard or grow full strength tobacco.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...a-menthol-ban/
Yet, the push to legalize marijuana is on. Not sure how marijuana smoke is any better.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:00 PM

795 posts, read 407,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I agree there is a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to smoking. I guess you can consume weed in other ways than smoking but I would guess the vast majority smoke it.

Overall, this is a tough subject for me to have a final opinion on. On one hand the tobacco companies develop products for maximum addiction - not cool. On the other, I agree that we may be getting to a point where the anit smoking people are going to far. If people want to smoke they will one way or another. There has been a lot of progress made with education. Everyone knows it is very harmful. What more do they want at this point?
Big time. And the attack on vaping irritates the hell out of me and many others who have moved to vaping as a means of quitting smoking. I mean, the vapor dissipates much faster than smoke does, you can control the nicotine levels and work your way down to zero. So called second hand vape is nowhere near as onerous as second hand smoke, etc. I’m currently down to 3mg nicotine vape juice. When this order runs out I’ll probably drop to 1mg, then zero and I am done.

Dennis Leary actually has a pretty amazing stand up bit he did about smoking that I find both hilarious and true. It’s worth looking up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1Xeu_rgd754" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xeu_rgd754

Old 04-21-2021, 05:28 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yet, the push to legalize marijuana is on. Not sure how marijuana smoke is any better.

Oh I forgot. You can impose a sin tax on pot too. My country Canada legalized the sale of it a couple years ago, country-wide.

Pot smokes IS better. You feel higher afterwards.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:40 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I see more and more young people smoking, especially girls who think that smoking will keep them thin.

Those gruesome TV ads featuring dying smokers don't have any effect on young people. They have a good laugh at them. What will curtail smoking is a stiff cigarette tax but those mealy mouthed politicians would never vote in such a tax. Might lose them some votes.

Vaping is the thing right now, not smoking cigarettes lol!

There are kids in the 6-12th grade getting suspended for it because the teachers and other staff are busting them in the restrooms at schools. I just asked my teens and they said vaping is easier to access for people than cigarettes

Old 04-21-2021, 05:44 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Menthol cigarettes and Skoal. LOL.

I'm an RC Cola and Moon Pie man myself.
Damn, I miss RC cola. RC and an Italian sub. A combination created by the gods.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:46 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Dave Van Ronk song from 60 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mAMwsN0_dU

Old 04-21-2021, 05:50 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Vaping is under attack as well. USPS, Fedex, DHL and UPS will no longer ship vaping products as of April 27, due to some restrictions that were included in the Covid-19 relief bill that passed late December 2020.

https://independentretailer.com/2021...ghout-the-u-s/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies