Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 12:14 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
If the only way you can make money is to avoid paying a living wage, you are not an successful employer, you are an exploiter.

Yes, in a tanked economy and among some disadvantaged groups one can see wages fall below what it takes to live, people will take two or three jobs in desperation, risking their health and safety. This is like a reverse auction, where the job goes to the lowest bidder. It's not right but it happens.

But in a rising economy particularly there is no ethical excuse for refusing to pay a living wage for full time work. It's pretty cheeky that employers will turn over any rock to find desperate people to work for peanuts, then publicly complain that no one takes them up on it.
There are jobs not meant to be a living wage, as in supporting a household or family. These jobs are typically meant for part time second jobs, second incomes or students.
Working in FF or waitressing was like a right of passage when I was growing up and still today. Its what you did for a little income while you were working on a trade or degree or more skilled full time position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 12:53 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There are jobs not meant to be a living wage, as in supporting a household or family. These jobs are typically meant for part time second jobs, second incomes or students.
Working in FF or waitressing was like a right of passage when I was growing up and still today. Its what you did for a little income while you were working on a trade or degree or more skilled full time position.
The problem for management is that potential employees see that attitude and policies like working all odd hours yet made to stop lest benefit packages are due. Those workers are now figuratively saying take your job and shove it. The employer should just pull his own children from school to apprentice at the family business since the old work force is now going their own way. Setting their own schedules as they supplement the legacy taxi and delivery services

Old 04-23-2021, 12:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You're wrong. Most fast food places are still running in pretty much a drive up only mode. They only have enough staff to work the drive through, not the interior. Seriously, if you were a business would you bring in extra staff to handle the one customer who wants inside service?

If I were running one of those places, I'd be looking at my returns to decide if I ever reopen the inside. Can easily some converting to a drive up only model.
Some of the places around here are planning to stay drive thru and curbside only. This reduces the amount of places people who have no car can go for food. The places that are opening back up to inside dining are the more unaffordable places to eat.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:01 PM

447 posts, read 321,992 times
It all depends on what kind of job it is.

For jobs like Wendy's or Macdonald the pay is too low for people to go out with risk.

They would rather be an Amazon shopper who makes around 20 each hour.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:03 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
If the only way you can make money is to avoid paying a living wage, you are not an successful employer, you are an exploiter.

Yes, in a tanked economy and among some disadvantaged groups one can see wages fall below what it takes to live, people will take two or three jobs in desperation, risking their health and safety. This is like a reverse auction, where the job goes to the lowest bidder. It's not right but it happens.

But in a rising economy particularly there is no ethical excuse for refusing to pay a living wage for full time work. It's pretty cheeky that employers will turn over any rock to find desperate people to work for peanuts, then publicly complain that no one takes them up on it.
Except in my example, I explained how the Dems are SO bribing people to stay home that it doesn’t even make sense for a $35,000 worker to go back to a job!

And you’d rather see small businesses go belly up rather than have jobs available for $10 an hour? Not everyone who takes these jobs depend on it to support themselves. It’s an add-on. Better the people should sit home and just suck off the government teat? What about a young couple, where the husband is earning $35,000 a year, and the wife earns $20,000? Together they are earning $55,000. That’s OK for a young couple, renting a $1000 a month apartment.

Or what about the 19-year-old, who has a part-time job after her day at community college, addressing envelopes and completing basic forms? At $10 an hour, 20 hours a week, she’s making $200 a week to help offset expenses - or perhaps earning some “fun money†to go out with friends?

Plenty of value in having jobs paying $10 an hour. That’s why, before the government stepped in to make it appealing to refuse jobs, people took these jobs.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:26 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
These jobs are typically meant for part time second jobs, second incomes or students.
This explains why fast-food places are closed during school hours. Wait...

Old 04-23-2021, 01:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This explains why fast-food places are closed during school hours. Wait...
Good point, the median fast food worker is in their 20s

Old 04-23-2021, 01:31 PM

424 posts, read 175,796 times
Even when I worked in fast food as a teenager in the mid 90s, there were plenty of adults working there in addition to the other people my age. A single dad with two kids, a young-ish widow (maybe she was 60?), several 30-somethings. Do people think that 16 and 17 year olds are running the show at fast food restaurants? Have you ever been inside of one when the bulk of the staff that day is teens? It's generally a whole lot of chaos. Grownups need to be involved to keep these types of places running, and grownups generally have bills to pay and need to make a living wage.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Your observations are anecdotal.

Plenty of adults have been working low wage jobs since forever and many have families.

Let’s recall the old guy in Vermont who left $8 million to the local library and hospital. He spent his life pumping gas and it was not his gas station. Obviously, he lived well below his means and invested for the long run. He did not spend $ on what so many of us consider necessities/ guilty pleasures. Obviously he derived pleasure in amassing wealth and told no one of his hobby.

My own grandmother worked behind the counter for minimum wage for her entire life. Her mother cleaned homes and cooked for other families till she could no long do so. She made a pittance a day, not even Minimum.

The country is full of millions just like them. They did the best they could with what they had.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:43 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Late-stage capitalism, you have to love it.

Fast-food employee: "Could I perhaps be paid enough to buy the occasional burger for myself?"

Conservatives: "How dare you? You flip burgers, you're the lowest of the lowest, utterly unskilled and completely replaceable. A barely sentient meat robot whom we'll replace with an actual robot if there's any more lip from you. Now go make my fries and remember to treat every single customer in the drive-in as if they were royalty!"

Also conservatives: "How come nobody wants to work in burger places any more?"
Spot. On.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies