Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2021, 06:49 AM

4,417 posts, read 1,715,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yesterday, I was at my office over the lunch hour and needed coffee in addition to my lunch.

I stopped at Wendy's, only to get the coffee. First thing I noticed was about 12 cars waiting in line at the drive through. So I parked the car and went in. There were less people in the store, than were outside and in line, so I wait about 3 minutes and then they take my order for my one cup of large black coffee.

Easy, right? Should have it in 2 minutes.

Nope. It took at least 15 minutes and probably more for me to get that cup of coffee since they only had 3 people working in the entire store. Wish I had it on video. My conclusion is that people and especially young people have decided it's easier to sit back and collect unemployment, than it is to go into work.

Tell me I'm wrong.
Newsflash: I don’t want to work either. I DO work, because I have a lifestyle to finance, but if I could do it without working, I totally would. I look forward to retirement and living off my public pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 07:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
24 pages and still no concrete evidence of folks choosing to stay home instead of work. No employer saying they called back all the staff they let go and none of them came back.......nope not one real life situation.

Some - I talked to a friend or I know someone.....but that doesn't explain thousands of people on unemployment.

It also doesn't explain how unemployment rates are dropping and the number of unemployed are dropping.

Lots of businesses closed permanently during the pandemic. I suspect many of them were borderline. They were one financial crisis away from going under. All those people are now joining the people who were let go with businesses that reduced staff or closed temporarily. So that pool is bigger, many places have reduced their over all workforce. So now we have tons of people looking for jobs...and they can pick and choose the hours, the pay, the kind of places they choose to work for.

Until we see employers reporting to unemployment officials that they have contacted THOUSANDS of people to return to work and those people have refused.......

we have no evidence of the feelings that employers are struggling to find people because of the trend of staying home to collect unemployment..

Old 04-25-2021, 07:28 AM

2,335 posts, read 817,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
24 pages and still no concrete evidence of folks choosing to stay home instead of work. No employer saying they called back all the staff they let go and none of them came back.......nope not one real life situation.

Some - I talked to a friend or I know someone.....but that doesn't explain thousands of people on unemployment.

It also doesn't explain how unemployment rates are dropping and the number of unemployed are dropping.
Yep. These claims are typically a bunch of cherry picked anecdotes primarily focusing on minimum wage jobs. Clearly the unemployment rates have dropped substantially since the start of the pandemic and that's more than apparent on any chart you look at. It's also apparent that the vast majority of people that are on unemployment were not working minimum wage job and would be better served trying to find something in their skillset that is actually going to allow them to earn what they need to support their expenses, rather than being underemployed. I don't think most people went to college or learned the skills in a trade to be flipping burgers or serving coffee. I'm so sorry the OP had to wait for his coffee. Rather than make outrageous and unsubstantiated claims, perhaps he should just try a different place to buy coffee

Old 04-25-2021, 10:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,578,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Yep. These claims are typically a bunch of cherry picked anecdotes primarily focusing on minimum wage jobs. Clearly the unemployment rates have dropped substantially since the start of the pandemic and that's more than apparent on any chart you look at. It's also apparent that the vast majority of people that are on unemployment were not working minimum wage job and would be better served trying to find something in their skillset that is actually going to allow them to earn what they need to support their expenses, rather than being underemployed. I don't think most people went to college or learned the skills in a trade to be flipping burgers or serving coffee. I'm so sorry the OP had to wait for his coffee. Rather than make outrageous and unsubstantiated claims, perhaps he should just try a different place to buy coffee
Or make coffee at home, problem solved.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:21 AM

43,222 posts, read 18,372,336 times
Since these are now jobs "Americans don't want to do" I can see Biden allowing the illegals to go ahead and apply for them.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Or make coffee at home, problem solved.
That too

Old 04-25-2021, 05:44 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
I think folks refusing to work right now -- if their employer offers them their job -- should lose their unemployment.

Plain and simple.

We have a McDonalds not far from us. And I've been that person that chooses to go in instead of line up in the drive through --(pre-pandemic).......and when i went in -- I waited for my coffee and waited and waited.

Pre- pandemic.

The staff there was fulfilling the drive through - I was secondary and I realized that is the nature of that facility in that location.

so i don't go inside -- well haven't been back since that day almost two years ago....but I won't go in next time...drive through -- or not at all.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:04 PM

8,641 posts, read 10,173,210 times
I stopped by my CVS this morning to pick up some coffee and bottled water. The place was closed when it should have been opened. Location is a main thoroughfare in North Phoenix. The sign on the door said "Closed Due to Staff Shortage". I called back later in the day and they have cut store hours due to the staff shortage.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think folks refusing to work right now -- if their employer offers them their job -- should lose their unemployment.

Plain and simple.

We have a McDonalds not far from us. And I've been that person that chooses to go in instead of line up in the drive through --(pre-pandemic).......and when i went in -- I waited for my coffee and waited and waited.

Pre- pandemic.

The staff there was fulfilling the drive through - I was secondary and I realized that is the nature of that facility in that location.

so i don't go inside -- well haven't been back since that day almost two years ago....but I won't go in next time...drive through -- or not at all.
That's usually the case if you're an employee.

https://www.yeoandyeo.com/resource/c...ion%20category.

There is also a work search requirement in many states

As stated earlier, the majority of workers on unemployment are not on minimum wage jobs, so these cherry picked anecdotes really don't address the numbers. Finding a job that makes workers underemployed is not a viable solution for most. In addition, unemployment rates have indeed come down significantly since the start of the pandemic.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:20 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
Buy a coffee pot to use at work. Get a cheap one and it will pay for itself in like 10 days. You'll save gas, too, not needing to run to the fast food restaurant!
My boss wont let us have a coffee pot. So Ill guess thats true for others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies