Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 11:55 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm just trying to put this in a proper perspective. This is also why I made compare and contrast points between Atlanta and St. Louis.
What bothers you more, the thousands of blacks killed by other blacks or the dozens of black criminals killed by police?

Atlanta may be much lower than St. Louis but Atlanta still has a murder rate more than 4 times the national average over the last decade. I wouldn't live in Atlanta due to the violent crime risk or really even get out of my car there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 02:59 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
St Louis has always been a high crime city though with a lot of serial killers running through there. There are people these Black leaders answer to whp obviously don't have the community's best interest in mind. Then you look at things like the entertainment industry which isn't run by Blacks (especially in music). You think those White and Jewish record owners are approving wholesome music to be produced and played on the radio? NOPE!
Many people don't think about the fact that St. Louis has a history of being a high crime city. This isn't just some recent development. It's been this way for decades. This goes back at least 70 years.

And as for who Black leaders answer to, I'll just say this. I don't know who they will answer to. Some leaders are only in it for themselves. Truth is, there aren't many real leaders of any race.

And as for music, follow the money. Violent rap music sells. This was figured out back in the 1980s. If people want violent rap music to go away, they are going to have to stop consuming it. And this isn't just for Black people. This is for EVERYBODY.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:01 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Murders and deaths like this are the cost of people having access to guns. Im not sure why folks freak out so much about this. Guns are part of our rights, but whining about the cost seems childish.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
What bothers you more, the thousands of blacks killed by other blacks or the dozens of black criminals killed by police?

Atlanta may be much lower than St. Louis but Atlanta still has a murder rate more than 4 times the national average over the last decade. I wouldn't live in Atlanta due to the violent crime risk or really even get out of my car there.
I grew up in the Atlanta area. There are some places I wouldn't go to. However, there are plenty of places in Atlanta I would feel safe in. I feel alot safer in Atlanta than St. Louis. And you totally ignored my point. Atlanta and St. Louis have similar demographics (actually, Atlanta is Blacker than St. Louis, and less White than St. Louis). How is Atlanta doing much better than St. Louis? That was what I was challenging people to think about. But you ignored that.

Truth is, both situations bother me. I don't see how I can't be concerned about police brutality and Black on Black violence. However, there is something that should be cleared up. Based on what I do and the places I tend to go, I hardly ever see Black on Black violence in my life. Being a middle class, white collar professional, I don't live in the ghetto. The Black persons I often deal with on a day to day basis are often like me, middle class and white collar. Black on Black murder isn't something I think about on a daily basis because I don't live around it. And I get the feeling that many people who keep bringing up Black on Black violence aren't really concerned about Black people. It's more of a gaslight tactic to me.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Murders and deaths like this are the cost of people having access to guns. Im not sure why folks freak out so much about this. Guns are part of our rights, but whining about the cost seems childish.
Not really. People in Switzerland have access to guns. There were fewer murders in Switzerland than any other cities mentioned in this thread. Many people who commit murder aren't even suppose to have guns due to previous felonies. This is why I say we don't have a gun problem. We have a violence problem. We have a problem where individuals have a "shoot and ask questions later" attitude. Individuals who believe killing is the answer to any perceived disrespect. I don't blame this on access to guns. I blame this on the culture of violence, anger, and vindictiveness.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Switzerland isn't on that list either. Neither is the Czech Republic.

The USA has a large underclass, very large among industrialized nations. Alot of murders in the USA are driving by anger/arguments. Stabbings, shootings, blunt force violence. And a culture of violence among some.

And within Canada, Nunavut has a homicide rate of 17.81 per 100,000. While this is not representative of Canada as a whole, Nunavut's homicide rate is higher than any state in the USA. Manitoba and Saskatchewan are next on the list. Both provinces have populations comparable to New Hampshire. Both provinces have more murders than New Hampshire. New Hampshire has often had a homicide rate around 1 to 1.5 per 100,000 over the last 25 years, some years as low as 0.8 per 100,000. Only in 2019 did it hit 2 per 100,000 or higher.

Canada has a lower murder rate than America, but like America, it's not evenly distributed. MB and SK have the highest homicides rates of any place not named Nunavut. 5.23 per 100,000 in Manitoba and 4.68 per 100,000 in Saskatchewan. In America, Vermont and New Hampshire are among the safest states in the USA. Louisiana is among the most dangerous.

One of the reasons I'm not in favor of banning guns. Look at Jamaica. That country tried to ban guns and the murder rate surged. Kingston has a murder rate nearly twice as high (169 per 100,000) as America's worst city, St. Louis (89 per 100,000).

Switzerland isn't a difficult country to get a gun. It has a long-standing gun culture, mostly rooted in sport shooting and hunting. It has a murder rate of 0.6 per 100,000.
Stats are a funny thing.

Things get tricky when just using a blanket " per 100,000 " when the population is much smaller. Nunavut has a population of 33,000.

This article is about crime in the NWT and touches on this.

"Both rates are calculated per 100,000 people, whereas the territory’s population is less than half that size. Rates become less meaningful as measurements when populations get smaller, meaning there are complexities in interpreting what the data means for crime in the territory."

https://cabinradio.ca/48642/news/cri...s-complicated/

Old 04-25-2021, 03:52 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
We had a murder in Leona Valley around 20 years ago. Small town in northern L.A. County. The murder was committed by an illegal alien hired by one of the home owners.

I was sitting in a restaurant there and a visitor sitting at the next table over said it reminded him of Mayberry. Barney Fife carried only one bullet because of the lack of violent crime. In Leona Valley I would guess that practically every homeowner is armed.

I miss that little town.
So that's where you got your name...

I think it's quite common for small towns in America with less than 5,000 to go many years without reporting a single murder or homicide. The per 100,000 metric that most places use was probably meant for places that actually had populations of 100,000 or more, since incidents of criminal homicide become a more common occurrence, unless the place is uniformly middle class or higher and/or the people there have a shared interest in upholding a high moral standard.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:51 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Many so called "black communities" have a large, sociopathic, criminal element. We can debate as to why this is- I believe it is due to a pathological "ghetto" culture, which drives young black males to embrace criminality and young black females to embrace whoredom.

St Louis isn't even majority black, which means that the north side of the city (which is heavily black populated) must be like Mordor.
To be fair, that same "culture" runs rampant through the trailer parks of the south. So, it isn't a color thing. Just a ghetto thing.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:17 PM

665 posts, read 613,556 times
Quote:
I grew up in the Atlanta area. There are some places I wouldn't go to. However, there are plenty of places in Atlanta I would feel safe in. I feel alot safer in Atlanta than St. Louis. And you totally ignored my point. Atlanta and St. Louis have similar demographics (actually, Atlanta is Blacker than St. Louis, and less White than St. Louis). How is Atlanta doing much better than St. Louis? That was what I was challenging people to think about. But you ignored that.
Atlanta has a few things going for it that St Louis doesn't in regards to black population.

1) Education: Atlanta is home to the largest concentration of colleges and universities in the Southern US per Wikipedia. This includes HBCUs as well as Georgia Tech and Emory. St Louis doesn't have any HBCUs in their metro area.

2) Better location/hub: Atlanta has one of the world's busiest airport, St Louis is 35th. It also doesn't have strong enough competition from other neighboring metro areas (Charlotte and Nashville aren't as cool with blacks as Atlanta) while St Louis has to deal with Chicago (4.5 hrs away) and KC (3.5 hr away). This helps out when in terms of doing business as well. More black people live in the Atlanta area than St Louis area so you're going to have more black executives, managers, consultants, companies and small businesses in general. Atlanta has also held bigger events such the 1996 Olympics, Final Fours, All-Star games, Super Bowls, SEC Football Championships and other high profile events.

Last edited by Peasy973; 04-25-2021 at 05:32 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 05:29 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
To be fair, that same "culture" runs rampant through the trailer parks of the south. So, it isn't a color thing. Just a ghetto thing.
Do you live in the South? I do, and I rarely hear about homicides in trailer parks (the way you stated it, you'd think the countryside was covered in trailers). Maybe they're just not reported .... But I do hear a lot about black-on-black murders in Birmingham. When you do hear about rural crime it usually has something to do with a drug deal gone bad, or a domestic dispute - not just random, drive-by shootings like in the cities.

I agree that it's mostly a ghetto (economically depressed) thing, but it just so happens that most of the ghettos are inhabited by blacks. And the problem won't be cured by social programs that the Democrats are trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies