Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 08:36 PM

8,330 posts, read 2,961,324 times

Advertisements

My diesel truck now runs much cooler, has more power, and gets better gas mileage now that I’ve deleted the emissions crap. God Bless America.

What are batteries going to weigh in a passenger plane? Fuel is being used as a plane flies but batteries don’t get lighter along the flight. I know eventually we’re going electric but I don’t think mass air transport will be here for many decades to come.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:53 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
What Realistically Can Replace The Internal Combustion Engine. Will it be Battery or Hydrogen Fuel Cells.

My money is on Hydrogen Fuel Cells. Though it will be a very sad day to see the gas internal combustion engine disappear.
The ICE could still carry on with H2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrog...engine_vehicle

But nothing compares to the sound of my current ride at full chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODw2_OAY9o

Old 04-25-2021, 09:02 PM

15,417 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Many oilfields now being drilled have lower grades of oil without diesel fuel. The machines that mine materials, maintain roads, and deliver everything have diesel engines. Without diesel, gas engines will be less useful. Electric cars and hydrogen fuel cells are greenwashing gimmicks so wealthy fake environmentalists can delay energy conservation and loss of personal luxury. We will eventually be riding horse-drawn wagons and walking more, but meanwhile I have bikes.
Ummmm, no. Lower grade oils actually make more diesel, not less. And, there are still lots of higher grade oil fields being drilled. In fact, much of the oil the US expoerts is higher grade crude that US refineries are not optimized to refine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
My diesel truck now runs much cooler, has more power, and gets better gas mileage now that I’ve deleted the emissions crap. God Bless America.

What are batteries going to weigh in a passenger plane? Fuel is being used as a plane flies but batteries don’t get lighter along the flight. I know eventually we’re going electric but I don’t think mass air transport will be here for many decades to come.
Deleting your emissions controls makes you a jerk. It ain't all about you and what you want.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:38 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The ICE could still carry on with H2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrog...engine_vehicle

But nothing compares to the sound of my current ride at full chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODw2_OAY9o
The sound of that thing is just stupid.... I live in a small city and of course streets with traffic, main streets. I abhor hearing these good ole boys looooong past their teen rebellion stages with their bad ass noise makers.... souping it up to be even worst make no sense. It is some Alpha thing or what? I am a male too and I have my windows open on my puter and hear them #$#^ go by.

The car looks great... the sound is hardly something to hype and have pride in.

You can have the look without the noise. We developed the old once new invention called a muffler for a reason LOL. Guess it is to make us a Patriotic American too.... or more one to have the noise.....

Maybe you add a Confederate Flag to it also..... Or is that only for the pick-up truck....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post

It serves no good purpose to disconnect pollution devices that have a good purpose. I for one never want to go back to the days of spewing black smoke from buses as many cities converted to propane and cleaner diesel ones and next coming are the EV buses.

We go with technology as it advances and cost come down. Even our Battery technology is on the cuspid of even further advances...

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/...r-over-the-air

When we entered the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century onward..... we embraced the new technology that lead to it. Sadly, we did not know about harmful chemical choices at first. Lead to Asbestos and the the residuals from Oil to fuels in refineries we had to dispose of and toxic waste dumps in the middle of cities even along with illegal choices once we knew better.

Why would one not want pollution catching divides and industrial smokestacks? You really want that in your air if we have the technology to filter some before we release it?

Space craft use batteries and every new technology we can perfect. Why would we leave the world to advance and choose to use new tech and we stick to the older one? DO YOU NOT WANT US TO BE THE LEADER? We did not become a leader on Tech by not using the new once we perfected it into mass use from cell phones to so much else.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:42 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,892,672 times
Technology and economics decides. Coal isn't declining because politicians decided it's bad. It's in decline because of fracking technology. When you can charge the car lithium batteries in 10 minutes that's it for the internal combustion engine.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:45 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
The sound of that thing is just stupid.... I live in a small city and of course streets with traffic, main streets. I abhor hearing these good ole boys looooong past their teen rebellion stages with their bad ass noise makers.... souping it up to be even worst make no sense. It is some Alpha thing or what? I am a male too and I have my windows open on my puter and hear them #$#^ go by.

You can have the look without the noise. We developed the old once new invention called a muffler for a reason LOL. Guess it is to make us a Patriotic American too.... or more one to have the noise.....

Maybe you add a Confederate Flag to it also..... Or is that only for the pick-up truck....
The LC 500 is a very special and unique ride. It was designed with Japanese artistry and flair with all aspects, including the sound. I'm not typically a fan of loud mufflers and such. The LC sound is optional and is specifically directed into the interior for its thrill when appropriate and desired.

I live in a small town too. And this is not nearly as raucous or intrusive as many.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:50 PM

6,369 posts, read 2,702,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmUp View Post
Sadly It Likely Seems That The Horseless Extremists Will Eventually Kill The Wonderful Horse and Buggy
The difference is that the Government didn't mandate that people had to stop using a Horse and Buggy. If you wanted you could still get one today. In some parts of the United States, it is still the primary mode of transportation for many.

Today when you have Liberal Governors(well actually I think it may just be one) making "Executive Orders" saying that as of 2035 you will no longer be able to buy a car with an Internal Combustion engine.

https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/pu...ustion-engines

Perhaps he is hoping his railroad will be built by then.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:00 PM

795 posts, read 407,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post

It serves no good purpose to disconnect pollution devices that have a good purpose. I for one never want to go back to the days of spewing black smoke from buses as many cities converted to propane and cleaner diesel ones and next coming are the EV buses.

We go with technology as it advances and cost come down. Even our Battery technology is on the cuspid of even further advances...

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/...r-over-the-air

When we entered the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century onward..... we embraced the new technology that lead to it. Sadly, we did not know about harmful chemical choices at first. Lead to Asbestos and the the residuals from Oil to fuels in refineries we had to dispose of and toxic waste dumps in the middle of cities even along with illegal choices once we knew better.

Why would one not want pollution catching divides and industrial smokestacks? You really want that in your air if we have the technology to filter some before we release it?

Space craft use batteries and every new technology we can perfect. Why would we leave the world to advance and choose to use new tech and we stick to the older one? DO YOU NOT WANT US TO BE THE LEADER? We did not become a leader on Tech by not using the new once we perfected it into mass use from cell phones to so much else.

If you think that’s bad, you should hear my 1971 Dodge Charger with a Carbed Mopar 340 with purple horny header mufflers. No cats, pretty much straight dumps right out of the headers. I can set car alarms off a block away when I rev that bastard up. It’s a muscle car, it should sound and smell like one. I love that gasoline smell coming from that exhaust. So I’ve got two things you hate on one car. Loud, screaming exhaust and ZERO emissions control devices on it. Moving to a state with no smog testing in a few months too so I’ll be ripping the catalytic converters out of my other vehicles too to get some power back. Charger is smog exempt even in Kommiefornia since it’s so old.

Oh, and about those space craft, do you realize how many hundreds of gallons of fuel they are using to get off the ground and out of the atmosphere? Show me the battery that can achieve that kind of thrust. Airplanes are another great one I didn’t think of before. That’s a hell of a lot of battery weight.
And boats and ships, how is that gonna work? Water and electricity generally don’t play nicely with each other.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:07 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Steam isn’t dead, we still use steam turbines to generate electricity from thermal sources like coal and nuclear.

The old reciprocating steam engines (found mainly on steam locomotives) are mostly gone.
Thanks. You had the insight to understand the subtle point I tried to make.

The age of steam ended, but not the steam engine. It was repurposed in many ways , and it's still in use.

The same will be true with the internal combustion engine. While it may no longer be used for transportation, there will be many other uses for it for a very long time to come.

Oil won't be the only fuel needed to power the internal engines of the future too. It's not the engine that has become obsolete- it's the fuel that powers it.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:49 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,869,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
The difference is that the Government didn't mandate that people had to stop using a Horse and Buggy. If you wanted you could still get one today. In some parts of the United States, it is still the primary mode of transportation for many.

Today when you have Liberal Governors(well actually I think it may just be one) making "Executive Orders" saying that as of 2035 you will no longer be able to buy a car with an Internal Combustion engine.

https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/pu...ustion-engines

Perhaps he is hoping his railroad will be built by then.
Exactly, in the early 1900-1910s the electric car (and steam cars) competed against the gas engine car which won out. Democrats want to bring back the old loser and declare it the winner. The electric car should only take over market share from gas cars by being more competitive, just as gas cars did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies