Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 05:37 PM

795 posts, read 408,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Is there enough electricity to power electric cars?
The short answer is yes. ...The world has 8,000 gigawatts of installed electricity generation capacity, according to the International Energy Agency. In theory, if the capacity ran 24-7 it could generate 69 million gigawatt hours of electricity annually.
That may be, but the transmission of said power is very problematic in MANY areas of the USA. See my previous post that you quoted. What are you going to do when the power goes out for a couple of days and you CAN’T put that electricity into your EV?

Old 04-27-2021, 05:40 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
As long as we can efficiently move stuff from point A to point B, who cares what motor we use?
Some people have a little more sophistication than that. We love 1963 Corvettes and nice Harley Davidsons.

We aren't all just soulless drones on an assembly line moving down the street with whatever the government and enviro weenies tell us.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
That may be, but the transmission of said power is very problematic in MANY areas of the USA. See my previous post that you quoted. What are you going to do when the power goes out for a couple of days and you CAN’T put that electricity into your EV?
Ive driven maybe 300 miles in the last 2 weeks. Many electric cars STILL wouldn't need power. So a couple of days? Nothing. Id have one BIG advantage though. My car is full every morning. I think my older gas car is sitting at 1/4 of a tank.

BTW what are you going to do when the power goes out...and the gas station cant pump your gas?

Old 04-27-2021, 05:42 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Obviously in those areas people will be less prone to buy EV's. Or they will somehow accommodate with back up juice. Some gas stations have backup juice, otherwise they can't pump gas.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:56 PM

795 posts, read 408,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ive driven maybe 300 miles in the last 2 weeks. Many electric cars STILL wouldn't need power. So a couple of days? Nothing. Id have one BIG advantage though. My car is full every morning. I think my older gas car is sitting at 1/4 of a tank.

BTW what are you going to do when the power goes out...and the gas station cant pump your gas?
I always have a jug of fuel on hand for other vehicles that don’t see the road. No problem. I stand by what I said earlier though, for me, and Ev is a nonstarter and out of the question. I will never own one. I am quite content burning dead dinosaurs thanks. For the type of driving I generally do, the hobbies I enjoy, there is just no replacement. For instance, I love to go out and go off-roading in my Jeep. Out in the desert or the woods in the middle of nowhere. How would that work with an Ev? My battery runs out of juice halfway up the Rubicon Trail, how am I supposed to recharge it in the middle of the woods? What happens in a water crossing where I have to go deep thru a creek and the battery gets drenched?

What about recreational boating? Water and electricity generally don’t play well together.

What about ATVs, Dirtbikes, Side by Sides? None of these would be better with electric power over good old reliable gasoline. Again, you can’t carry an extra jug of battery power with you.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:30 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Here’s the thing: electric motors are vastly superior to internal combustion engines in almost every way, and have been for over a century. There’s a reason your refrigerator and vacuum cleaner are powered by electric motors and not IC engines. The same goes for large stationary machinery. You won’t see too many factories where everything is running on IC engines.

Of course, electric motors do have one really big limitation: if you don’t have electricity, they become an expensive paper weight.

It’s only now that we have batteries good enough to make electric cars and trucks feasible. They’re still a little expensive and range-challenged for my taste, but that will probably change in the next decade or so. Once they’re almost as good as a traditional vehicle and almost as cheap, I will switch in a heartbeat. No more noisy engine or oil changes!

Old 04-27-2021, 06:30 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The democrat's plan is to leave rural areas without transportation so the conservative there will have to move to the cities where they can keep closer control of them .
Utter nonsense......Is there any conspiracy theory you don't believe?

Old 04-27-2021, 06:35 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Of course rural areas do not cotton as easily to EV's. And urban commuting makes them more useful and practical. And that tends to aggravate the Lib/Con debate as it concerns EV's.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course rural areas do not cotton as easily to EV's. And urban commuting makes them more useful and practical. And that tends to aggravate the Lib/Con debate as it concerns EV's.
It does make for some differing points of view. The range on the electrics really is getting up there though. and the low maintenance is amazing. But ICE vehicles will always have a special place for everyone alive today.

And for cross country travel? Until we get in the 500 mile range with a charger at the end at the hotel? ICE all the way. But nowadays that 300 mile range does it for most folks, and 500 miles is coming soon.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:45 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
With the 300 mile plus range of today's EVs just postpone that long trip...I'm sure most of us can last a few days if we are in the habit of keeping our ev's charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies