Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 05:22 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteVirtue View Post
Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and make it happen.
If you can't afford to pay someone a living wage, then either do it yourself or do a better job of running your business.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Should government hold wages down to keep crappy businesses slightly profitable? Should Congress lower the minimum wage so I can make a profit on my tiny smelly used bookstore?
Why not?

I love used bookstores.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:34 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you can't afford to pay someone a living wage, then either do it yourself or do a better job of running your business.
What is a "living wage"? Exactly how much is that wage?

Old 05-06-2021, 06:06 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
We’re talking wages. The government has no proper place in that discussion.
Sure, government regulation is evil.

Quote:
You want to not make any negotiations on your own behalf, not be responsible for your own well being, and certainly never bear consequences if your choices were to be less than optimal.
Ah so your anti-union too.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:26 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Maybe the minimum wage worker should do a better job of acquiring job skills.

The percentage of people getting by on minimum wage is about 1% of the labor force.

Old 05-08-2021, 01:38 AM

9 posts, read 4,473 times
Mein Gott! I haven't read all the 55 pages of replies yet but judging by the first dozen pages I'm prettty sure I don't want to. What a bunch of sour arse people that have replied mostly. I wouldn't be surprised if someone there suggesting hey hell, what's the point, may as well shoot yourself now & be done with it.
Firstly, talk to your employees - they need to know you're in trouble & if the worst comes to the worst, that you have tried your best to save their arses. Meet & try suggestions to improve your business that don't cost too much but will make more people aware you exist. Improve customer service- this may seem obvious but if you aren't doing it right then people ain't coming back. Not knowing your business it's a little hard to comment specifically but even simple things can help & above all be honest - if there's one thing people hate it's being bull****ted to. Honesty will get you return customers every time.
There's obviously so much more & there are books about it out there
I once went to a job where the problem was so simple that I said to my boss - let's just charge the callout fee & nothing else.
We did that & guess who became a forever customer & handed our cards to others over the years. A small act of kindness goes a long way.
All the best with your issue & hope you find a solution

Old 05-08-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Maybe the minimum wage worker should do a better job of acquiring job skills.

The percentage of people getting by on minimum wage is about 1% of the labor force.
They do have job skills. Otherwise, they'd have no job.

Other than relatives and money laundering scams, who hires folks to do nothing?

The idea that low-skilled workers don't deserve decent pay is revolting.

Of course, they should be working at acquiring better job skills and working their way up the ladder of success.

Just as business owners should be working at acquiring better business skills so their business model doesn't rely on taking financial advantage of employees, and their profits underwritten by taxpayers.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Sure, government regulation is evil.
"On July 7, 1903, Mary Harris “Mother” Jones began the March of the Mill Children from Philadelphia to President Theodore Roosevelt’s Long Island summer home in Oyster Bay, New York, to publicize the harsh conditions of child labor and to demand a 55-hour work week."

Roosevelt refused to see them.

https://www.zinnedproject.org/news/t...mill-children/

Eventually labor unions forced labor laws, including child labor laws and minimum wage, etc.

As unions have diminished to almost nothing, minimum wage standards have stagnated.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:57 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Work harder.

When someone cannot pay their bills because the minimum wage is too low for the cost of living, this is the response that is usually given. The same applies to you.

Some people suck at running a business, that could be your case, to which I would say close shop or re-evaluate your business.
Or he could just raise his prices to cover it so people like you have to pay higher prices.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:00 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Let go of some employees until you can afford it.

Then those employees can find a job somewhere else where the employee can afford it.

It's a win-win. You get to keep your shop open and they get the opportunity to find a job with somebody who isn't staying open on a shoestring.
That makes sense, get rid of employees like you to pay another person $15 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies