Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 08:15 PM

717 posts, read 453,704 times

Advertisements

Person A:
He commits armed robbery, or attempted first degree murder but fails to carry out the plan, or sells heroin and meth on the street,

He gets 5-20 years behind bars and then gets paroled, moves on.

Person B:
He was otherwise clean except when he was 21 he had a blossoming consensual relationship with a latina girl who claimed to be 18 but had a fake ID, was actually really a minor aged 15. He didn’t know this but it didn’t matter in Florida it’s not a defense for statutory rape. He cried his eyes out, given a lesser sentence for a guilty plea on a lower charge...
Sentence: 3 years behind bars but
Lifetime Registration as a sex offender .... after 20 years he can’t live in a town or city, leave the state, ultimately he flees the US to be free before death

Old 04-30-2021, 09:55 PM

795 posts, read 408,381 times
And the problem with this is? If you ask me he got off light. Should have been chemically castrated too. Sex offenders and rapists are almost as bad as the BLM terrorist thugs. They all deserve tougher punishments for their crimes.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:05 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
And the problem with this is? If you ask me he got off light. Should have been chemically castrated too. Sex offenders and rapists are almost as bad as the BLM terrorist thugs. They all deserve tougher punishments for their crimes.
There's something called intent. That's why other crimes like murder have different degrees and/or can have charges reduced to manslaughter.

If she had ID that said she was an adult, how is someone supposed to know?

Old 04-30-2021, 10:11 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
Person A:
He commits armed robbery, or attempted first degree murder but fails to carry out the plan, or sells heroin and meth on the street,

He gets 5-20 years behind bars and then gets paroled, moves on.

Person B:
He was otherwise clean except when he was 21 he had a blossoming consensual relationship with a latina girl who claimed to be 18 but had a fake ID, was actually really a minor aged 15. He didn’t know this but it didn’t matter in Florida it’s not a defense for statutory rape. He cried his eyes out, given a lesser sentence for a guilty plea on a lower charge...
Sentence: 3 years behind bars but
Lifetime Registration as a sex offender .... after 20 years he can’t live in a town or city, leave the state, ultimately he flees the US to be free before death

Extremely rare situation for the offenders list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Exactly.

He should have made damn sure she was of age. Ya know...that pesky thing being an adult and all....

People who prey on children are the scum of the Earth and normal people dont feel bad for them.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Extremely rare conviction.

Exactly.

People who prey on children are the scum of the Earth and normal people dont feel bad for them.
18 is not a child in the U.S. Maybe in your country it is. Per the OP, she had an ID that stated she was 18. If he had knowingly solicited or engaged in sex with a 15 year old, that's a whole different story.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:19 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
18 is not a child in the U.S. Maybe in your country it is. Per the OP, she had an ID that stated she was 18. If he had knowingly solicited or engaged in sex with a 15 year old, that's a whole different story.
Again, I said it was a rare thing to be on the list for his situation nonetheless this dude is that clueless he doesnt know he's dating a high schooler? Especially since hes 21? Bizarre.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:56 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Americans are never happier, more starry-eyed when they're on a witch hunt. This is a witch hunt, pure and simple!

Sheesh! Age of consent is 13 in South Korea and Japan. Over there, they would have deemed him normal!

Old 04-30-2021, 11:00 PM

795 posts, read 408,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Americans are never happier, more starry-eyed when they're on a witch hunt. This is a witch hunt, pure and simple!

Sheesh! Age of consent is 13 in South Korea and Japan. Over there, they would have deemed him normal!
So you are saying you think molesting a child is ok?

Old 04-30-2021, 11:33 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
It's not the crime we're discussing here.
It's not even the punishment, as the person mentioned did his time in prison.

The discussion is: Why is a sexual offender never free once he's paid his debt to society? Why must he register as a sexual offender for the rest of his life, wherever he goes and whenever he moves from one home to a new home?

I fully understand the rationale behind the registration. Everyone wants their children to be protected from predation and sexual violation.

But what about the teen girl who was underage legally, but fully agreeable to sexual relations, mentally and physically?

I have a daughter. Like almost all girls, she went through a couple of years of boy-crazy around age 13 to 15, and I had to watch her like a hawk to keep her out of trouble.
Nothing at all special or unique about that. Most fathers or parents do just the same thing for their girls. And most girls soon mature out of it naturally.

But a young guy who's legal age may not have the ability to spot a teenage girls true age as easily as an older adult. And a lot of young guys don't have a lot of experience with girls or romance or sex at age 21.

I'm sure many of them who committed statutory rape or some similar offense truly regretted it when they learned their girlfriend was actually a minor. I'm sure many would never repeat it, nor even attempt it after a jail sentence.

And prisons quite often release these guys early because they won't be repeaters. Yet they'll still have to register forever, even when they are all fully grown, happily married, and have kids of their own to protect.

I think there was a lot of overkill in this registration practice that arose in a period of social hysteria. A good idea, but one that goes too far in length.

ls it possible to create some regular revue for a person in this? Some testing or something that will weed out the repeaters from the others?

I think so. At least it should be explored and developed if such ways are found.

What we all want is for the repeaters to be watched. Some are indeed real dangers to our children if they are allowed to go around unsupervised and kept under scrutiny.

But there are a lot of men who will never repeat their crime again, and by rights, they should not be punished forever by the registration for crimes they'll never commit.

There has to be some good middle ground in this somewhere. I hope that it's found. Justice must be just to be good.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:18 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Again, I said it was a rare thing to be on the list for his situation nonetheless this dude is that clueless he doesnt know he's dating a high schooler? Especially since hes 21? Bizarre.
I could not get the video to play, but, how would he know she was not 18? Someone age 18 can be in high school also.

Aside from an ID if she showed, what other proof should someone seek?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies