Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 10:13 AM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
More great news out of Florida

Ron DeSantis to Sign Bill Banning Social Media ‘Deplatforming,’ ‘Shadow Banning,’ ‘Censoring’

Social media companies would be unable to permanently kick people off their platforms under a tough new Florida law.

The bill, passed by the GOP-dominated state Legislature Thursday and awaiting Gov. Ron DeSantis’ signature, would make it a crime to remove state political candidates from Twitter and Facebook, and would mete out penalties of $250,000 a day for any statewide candidate who is deplatformed.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...deplatforming/
How can DeSantis legislate what a private company can do? Their company, their rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 10:19 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Doesn't the FCC (and the government) already have some control in this matter?

Seems social media giants are being held to the same requirements as other forms of communications. As well they should.

Private companies need licenses and need to meet "standard of care" practices. Seems this would fall under that umbrella.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:27 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
How can DeSantis legislate what a private company can do? Their company, their rules.
I had to lol at this one

Old 05-03-2021, 11:09 AM

25,743 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
social media is a private business, conservatives want the governments hands off to business of course unless it affects them

so transparent
Yeah, those dirty rotten Republicans who want freedom of the press

Social media is the press nowadays. People <40 yrs old are ignoring newspapers, political magazines, tv news, radio, ect.. more & more.

Social media is constantly pushing a political agenda, and they must be kept in line.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:11 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Social media is the press nowadays. People <40 yrs old are ignoring newspapers, political magazines, tv news, radio, ect.. more & more.
False. I’m under 40 and think it’s completely insane to try and get accurate political news from social media.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:15 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Yeah, those dirty rotten Republicans who want freedom of the press

Social media is constantly pushing a political agenda, and they must be kept in line.
This has nothing to do with freedom and mostly to do with left of center has a functional monopoly on political content, especially for those not firmly attached to either end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
False. I’m under 40 and think it’s completely insane to try and get accurate political news from social media.
Agreed but... Does not stop it from happening, especially from those not attached to or ambivalent to either end of the political spectrum.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:27 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Well that’s better, yeah I hadn’t noticed that. OP’s first paragraph just says “people” can’t be kicked off. Political candidates are generally afforded more free speech protection, that’s why Twitter put up with Trump until he started inciting violence.
Farrakhan is still on Twitter.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:54 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
The government is taking control of the means of production? There's a name for that.

Let's ignore for a second that this is nothing but empty posturing, it'll be slapped down in the Supreme Court and the good citizens of Florida will be stuck with the bill. Sorry about the potholes, gramps, the governor needed to profile himself on the national stage.

But that's not even the entertaining bit about this. The bit that would have anyone holding an actual belief in market mechanisms and free press absolutely enraged is this:

https://flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/20...ent/811008/PDF

A last-minute amendment that - and I am not making this up - contains this thing of beauty:

Quote:
The term does not include any information service, system,
Internet search engine, or access software provider operated by
a company that owns and operates a theme park or entertainment
complex...
Not even subtle, is it? Yep, Disney called up the oh-so-principled Republicans and made it clear that while they could do their little chest-thumping poseur bit, they'd better not mess with The Rat. And the Republicans, not merely spineless but happy to be seen as such, meekly obliged.

You're cheering on a law that literally has an amendment written by a billion-dollar media company's corporate counsel as if it was some sort of triumph for the First. It's so sad, it's funny.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 05-03-2021 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-03-2021, 12:59 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Ah yes, the unwritten "must be kept in line" addendum to the First Amendment. Wait - no - I'm now informed that censorship was a Loyalist position. Sir, if you'd walk over and take a place among the redcoats? His Majesty thanks you.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:13 PM

2,367 posts, read 909,786 times
I'm years ahead of DeSantis. I've never used Twitter and Facebook. I have boycotted CNN, NYT, WaPo, and others. NY Times has lost all credibility. I don't have cable TV, and I simply don't click on any of those sites.

Don't wait for the governor to ban what you don't like. You can ban it from your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies