Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 05:55 AM

754 posts, read 486,142 times

Advertisements

He's leading by huge margins currently in all 2024 GOP nominee polls and surveys, often over 50% whilst no one else can even break double digits.

Surely the common sense decision would be for Republicans would be to carry on with Trumps policies with a different person who isn't so politically toxic and hated? They don't have to revert to Bush/Romney type, but just someone different, like say Ron Desantis? Even when suggested that Trump supporters are like "Trump or I'm not voting!" "I'll write his name in my own blood if I have to! I just love him too much!".

He had more people disapproving than approving him for the entire duration of his presidency and NEVER once had an approval rating above 50% on either RCP or 538.

Throughout is entire presidency also he had more people with an unfavorable opinion of him than a favorable opinion, its always been net negative, so why is so shocking that when it comes to an election more people voted against him than for him?

It looks like the GOP electorate are going to nominate Trump again and throw the election away. Biden is beatable but nominating Trump again is just sheer madness. Brainless really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 05:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I'm not sure he wants to run.
I think he will prefer to be perceived as the King Maker.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
President Trump will only be the Republican nominee in 2024 if he runs.
There is zero doubt he win the nomination .... if he runs.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:50 AM

754 posts, read 486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
President Trump will only be the Republican nominee in 2024 if he runs.
There is zero doubt he win the nomination .... if he runs.
The Republicans will probably lose the next election if that's the case and make a Biden a two term president. Great news for him.

All they have to do is pick someone who isn't politically as toxic as Trump as Biden can be beaten, but they're just going to throw another election away placating to a mans fragile ego that he was 'robbed' (when he wasn't, he was just personally unpopular and badly mishandled covid).

Old 05-12-2021, 06:53 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,469,281 times
If nobody steps up to pick up his mantle then yes Trump will probably be the nominee if he chooses to run. I agree he would probably lose, but I'd rather see the GOP lose with him than win with some Romney/Cheney type. It would at least show that the party is going in the right direction and not reverting back to the McCain/Romney years.

If someone does not step up to take on Trump's agenda in his place, that will be a greater failure on the part of the GOP than losing with Trump itself would be. Trump shouldn't have to run and hopefully the GOP won't make him run by turning their backs on his agenda. Perhaps DeSantis is a sign that the GOP is ready to step up, to put a better face on American populism. We will see.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:58 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm not sure he wants to run.
I think he will prefer to be perceived as the King Maker.

That is what I hope he does. I like Trump but I think he should not run again but instead put his political popularity behind a candidate. Many of Trump's policies were exactly what America needed but his personality was often grating and at times he was his own worse enemy.

Desantis is gaining popularity and seems to be a front runner but what about Ted Cruz?

Whatever happened to Don Jr? He has the same thoughts as his dad and is more articulate.

Who ever the candidate is it will be powerful for him/her to receive Trump's endorsement.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:00 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
He's leading by huge margins currently in all 2024 GOP nominee polls and surveys, often over 50% whilst no one else can even break double digits.

Surely the common sense decision would be for Republicans would be to carry on with Trumps policies with a different person who isn't so politically toxic and hated? They don't have to revert to Bush/Romney type, but just someone different, like say Ron Desantis? Even when suggested that Trump supporters are like "Trump or I'm not voting!" "I'll write his name in my own blood if I have to! I just love him too much!".

He had more people disapproving than approving him for the entire duration of his presidency and NEVER once had an approval rating above 50% on either RCP or 538.

Throughout is entire presidency also he had more people with an unfavorable opinion of him than a favorable opinion, its always been net negative, so why is so shocking that when it comes to an election more people voted against him than for him?

It looks like the GOP electorate are going to nominate Trump again and throw the election away. Biden is beatable but nominating Trump again is just sheer madness. Brainless really.
DeSantis will not draw the crowds like Trump. Trump is a good showman and the MSM will attack any Republican on the ticket 24.7 to try to destroy their image and their family and anyone around them...This is MSM .. they will lie, use innuendo , speculation , smears, trash stories, propaganda of the worst kind. This is how the communists gain control and the democrats are that low to blatantly lie their butts off .

Old 05-12-2021, 07:05 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
OMG, this country barely 'dodged a bullet' last Nov. 6th... and we wanna give 'em another 'shot' at it?!!
Could Trump Be The 1st U.S. President Charged With A Criminal Offense?
New Yorker writer Jane Mayer talks about the criminal investigation into whether Donald Trump engaged in tax, banking and/or insurance fraud. If convicted, he could be sentenced to prison.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is what I hope he does. I like Trump but I think he should not run again but instead put his political popularity behind a candidate. Many of Trump's policies were exactly what America needed but his personality was often grating and at times he was his own worse enemy.

Desantis is gaining popularity and seems to be a front runner but what about Ted Cruz?

Whatever happened to Don Jr? He has the same thoughts as his dad and is more articulate.

Who ever the candidate is it will be powerful for him/her to receive Trump's endorsement.

Can't stand Trump as President...but I don't mind if he wants to have some kind of power in the background.

I would like to see the return of the Republican party that was based on conservative principles....I think it is healthy for this country.

And I want policies to drive the political discussion/discourse/debate.

I believe the two party system can work...it worked for a long time.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
DeSantis will not draw the crowds like Trump. Trump is a good showman and the MSM will attack any Republican on the ticket 24.7 to try to destroy their image and their family and anyone around them...This is MSM .. they will lie, use innuendo , speculation , smears, trash stories, propaganda of the worst kind. This is how the communists gain control and the democrats are that low to blatantly lie their butts off .
You don't think Trump can drum up the DeSantis support. There's a reason so many in the Republican party 'fear' Trump's wrath right now.....they think he has the power.

Last edited by moneill; 05-12-2021 at 07:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies