Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does being called a racial slur provide legal grounds to physically attack?
Yes 33 12.18%
No 238 87.82%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 09:45 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes if it's true that he did...it would be nice to learn the true story rather than the media's narrative. Even if a person called you a racist name, you need to control your behavior...I was the only white player on several basketball teams and rode a bus where I was the only white male, I've been called racist names numerous times and it would have been dumb to respond.
The media's narrative comes directly from the police report, which features two witnesses to the incident, as well as Pujols.

But I agree, if you're on a bus with people calling you names who appear to be unified, it would be very foolish for you to punch someone. That's just using your self-preservation skills.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:50 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not really, bullies use those slurs too...
So any random stranger who makes a derogatory remark to you is a bully?

Old 05-13-2021, 09:53 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
https://nypost.com/2021/05/12/dunkin...ial-slur-cops/

Do racial slurs excuse assault? Or manslaughter? I would think anti-racism warriors would approve.
Many, many years ago, we were taught this .

"Sticks and Stones" is an English-language children's rhyme. The rhyme is used as a defense against name-calling and verbal bullying, intended to increase resiliency, avoid physical retaliation and to remain calm and good-living. The full rhyme is usually a variant of:

Sticks and stones may break my bones
But words shall never hurt me.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:55 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Best get him off the street before he goes into a rest home with an AK.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:57 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Seventy-seven years old? When that old man was young, it was socially acceptable for him to call black people by that word any time he desired, and black people had to accept it. So he got old and reverted.

That is the "why," and I'm seeing a lot of that particular reversion today. That's why I say it will ultimately take the death of the Boomer Generation for the nation to begin any genuine racial reconciliation.

And unfortunately, the "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" lesson is no longer taught. I doubt being taught that words are hurtful made that young man any psychologically stronger than I was or my parents were. Clearly, he's actually psychologically weaker.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:59 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you're referring to me, I'm not "justifying" it. I'm asking questions that need to be answered before we can know the whole story.

What I keep seeing online is, "we don't know the whole story". I see that Pujols appears to be a very small man, with no criminal record, and a job as manager of the store where a man came in out of control.

And yes, I do think sometimes punching someone in the face is justified. It's a tragedy that that measured response resulted in a death.

It doesn't appear this story is going away, and it will be interesting to learn more details as they come out.
Your obsession with this story is quite odd. The attacker should have called the cops and had the old coot trespassed, which would the intelligent response that most managers would take.

As a sidenote, this guy who just killed an old man put up a go fund me with a goal of $100,000.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:01 AM

864 posts, read 440,330 times
Quote:
I already said why I believed he had no criminal record - there was none listed in WhitePagesPremium, which sometimes misses things.

I'm open to hearing otherwise. Do you have a link?
County public records are easily found online.

Had he applied to rent a house from me he would have been denied. One of my screening criteria is applicant cannot have any history of domestic violence. Learned that early on when a tenant was thrown through a plate glass window by her partner and before background checks were common to get. Pretty much anyone with a domestic violence history will leave you with holes punched in walls and doors and apparently shouldn’t be working in customer service jobs either.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:02 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
County public records are easily found online.

Had he applied to rent a house from me he would have been denied. One of my screening criteria is applicant cannot have any history of domestic violence. Learned that early on when a tenant was thrown through a plate glass window by her partner and before background checks were common to get. Pretty much anyone with a domestic violence history will leave you with holes punched in walls and doors and apparently shouldn’t be working in customer service jobs either.
I looked online and couldn't find a criminal record - also, using the google search terms "Corey Pujols Restraining Order" I got no hits.

Do you have a link?

Edited to add: I found this. Apparently there was a case court of domestic violence in July 2019, and it was "closed", with no other follow up I could find. Since this is a felony, it would appear if the charges stuck there would be more follow up court notes. Additionally, I didn't see anything about a restraining order that was issued. A year or so later, the woman involved in the DV accusation apparently enforces child care requirements.

https://hover.hillsclerk.com/html/ca...chResults.html

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-13-2021 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 10:05 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Should be an easy guilty verdict with store camera footage.
correct

Old 05-13-2021, 10:07 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
No. Now you're taking my side.

It's not ok to verbally abuse anyone.

I think we're going in circles here.
I'm not taking your side. So if a student verbally abuses a teacher is it ok for the teacher to punch them in the face.
You said: "I agree that cops often take a LOT of verbal abuse without retaliating. But cops are in a position of power. NO ONE is going to assault them and get away with it.

Civilians, in conflicts with other civilians who are raging, don't have that power."
Teachers have power over students. They can have them arrested, kicked out of school, etc.
Civilians have the power to call the authorities.

Your basically saying its ok for everyone except the cops to punch someone in the face if they are being verbally abused because they cant physically arrest that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies