Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does being called a racial slur provide legal grounds to physically attack?
Yes 33 12.18%
No 238 87.82%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 11:39 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

It should be a murder charge. When a 77 year old gets hit in the skull, the chance of an intracranial hemorrhage is high. Whenever an elderly person hits their head on something, even somewhat lightly, you always want to order a head CT scan to rule out bleeding before sending them home. When punching someone that age in the head, the punch alone can cause a bleed in the brain, let alone hitting the head on the floor from the fall.

Maybe I'm in my own bubble here, but I thought that was common knowledge, no?

And if it is common knowledge that death is one of the very real possibilities when one chooses to punch and elderly person in the face, shouldn't it be a murder charge?

Old 05-13-2021, 11:40 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Very one sided assault:

"a police report concluded that “at no time did the decedent place his hands on defendant or attempt to strike to defendant at any point.” https://www.blackenterprise.com/dunk...m-racial-slur/

The attacker was very brave punching a non-aggressive 77 year old man in the head.

The old man was a regular at the Dunkin'. The criminal attacker said that the victim was "extremely rude" that day, implying that this wasn't his usual behavior. According to reports, the dead old man uttered the racial epithet once. The attacker than asked him to repeat it. The victim complied and BAM. He got hit so hard with a life ending punch that he fell to the floor and hit his head.

Regarding the multiple GoFundMe pages and funds that were established, I thought that creating a fund for the legal defense of people charged with violent crimes was prohibited under the GoFundMe guidelines. They clearly are not enforcing this because there are multiple funds established for this violent accused felon.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:52 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't know, there are a lot of people on here that think bullies need to be stopped and can be stopped by socking them like the worker did to this guy... Just a thought.
Can you really label someone a bully when they pose absolutely no threat to you?

Old 05-13-2021, 11:57 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Yeah Yeah I know I might get sued or charged with assault. That is preferable to allowing a racist scum bag to slander my minor children.
I have to stop here, because I just don't agree that being in prison unable to support said minor child is preferable than modeling more appropriate behavior.

Believe me, I understand the impulse, and my boyfriend understands a million times more, but his daughter needs him out here, and the preservation of his ability to provide for her and be here physically with her overrides any instinct to get violent no matter what is said.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Very one sided assault:

"a police report concluded that “at no time did the decedent place his hands on defendant or attempt to strike to defendant at any point.” https://www.blackenterprise.com/dunk...m-racial-slur/

The attacker was very brave punching a non-aggressive 77 year old man in the head.

The old man was a regular at the Dunkin'. The criminal attacker said that the victim was "extremely rude" that day, implying that this wasn't his usual behavior. According to reports, the dead old man uttered the racial epithet once. The attacker than asked him to repeat it. The victim complied and BAM. He got hit so hard with a life ending punch that he fell to the floor and hit his head.

Regarding the multiple GoFundMe pages and funds that were established, I thought that creating a fund for the legal defense of people charged with violent crimes was prohibited under the GoFundMe guidelines. They clearly are not enforcing this because there are multiple funds established for this violent accused felon.
I don't mind if he gets money for a good lawyer. Everyone should have a GOOD lawyer. The racial slur and lack of intent to kill, should, imo mitigate his sentence.

Being provoked does not excuse assault, but it does mitigate it. It's certainly not the same crime as just randomly attacking someone for no reason, or to rob them, etc.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:14 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
BTW - in this thread, I posted a video of Buzz Aldrin packing a hell of a punch against a verbal assailant, and Aldrin was also in his 70's. What did this guy appear to be, we don't know. Was he some frail old geezer with a walker, or did he look like Buzz Aldrin?

We don't know.

Good point. But there is a certain type of really clueless older white man, that for some fantasy reason believe that they are still some type of physical force to be reckoned with (when they clearly are not anymore), and will openly challenge younger physically fit males out of ..... stupidity?

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...agreement-over

Last edited by snebarekim; 05-13-2021 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-13-2021, 12:20 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Good point. But there is a certain type of really clueless older white man, that for some fantasy reason believe that they are still some type of physical force to be reckoned with (when they clearly are not anymore), and will openly challenge younger males out of ..... stupidity?

Not in leftist states: people are afraid to cross Blacks because they know the government will side with them no matter how little evidence. That's why I claimed to be "Black" when a strange White women came up to me demanding I wear a mask outdoors. She grabbed her kids (all three of them were wearing a mask AND a face shield) hands and scurried out of fear. No other race triggers this kind of fear of political correctness.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:27 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Good point. But there is a certain type of really clueless older white man, that for some fantasy reason believe that they are still some type of physical force to be reckoned with (when they clearly are not anymore), and will openly challenge younger males out of ..... stupidity?

Dementia and mental impairment plus any of the usual things that make people do stupid stuff like booze etc.

Also, a lot of people will act badly because they think no one will hit them. Older people, women etc.

Young women from nicer areas where fighting at school is a *big deal* are some of the worst offenders. They'll torment other girls on-line etc and say stuff to them under the ideal of immunity. Then, eventually they run into a gal that grew up in a rougher area and suddenly get beat down and it's quite a shock to them. I have several female friends that grew up in rougher areas and now live in this nicer area and had a real transition period to go through in dealing with the BS women would throw at them here that would be an immediate punch in the face where they grew up.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you're referring to me, I'm not "justifying" it. I'm asking questions that need to be answered before we can know the whole story.

What I keep seeing online is, "we don't know the whole story". I see that Pujols appears to be a very small man, with no criminal record, and a job as manager of the store where a man came in out of control.

And yes, I do think sometimes punching someone in the face is justified. It's a tragedy that that measured response resulted in a death.

It doesn't appear this story is going away, and it will be interesting to learn more details as they come out.
Legally, it literally never is, except in self defense.

Would I personally object if some big strong men went to send a message to a guy who was beating on a woman ? No, there are a few things in life that are not always resolvable via the police.

If they were caught and charged, would the law excuse them? No.

In fact I was struck by a guy as a teen and a friend said the football team would pay him a visit. This guy was stalking me, so I said ok, if he comes back again, then yeah, you can do that.

But a court would NOT have excused them, they'd be relying on the victim not to know who they were and have any method of finding out. Which was totally doable then, not so much now with cameras everywhere.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:32 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dementia and mental impairment plus any of the usual things that make people do stupid stuff like booze etc.

Also, a lot of people will act badly because they think no one will hit them. Older people, women etc.
I see this clueless cockiness in much older white men more than others.

Last edited by snebarekim; 05-13-2021 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies