Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does being called a racial slur provide legal grounds to physically attack?
Yes 33 12.18%
No 238 87.82%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 06:44 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
An Ohio Court, last January, ruled repeated use of the "N" word at someone to be "fighting words" and not protected free speech.

So there's that.

The N word, that you call someone repeatedly (as is alleged to have happened in this case) is "fighting words".

I'm not the one here in this conversation who doesn't understand the legal concept of "fighting words".

https://mtsu.edu/first-amendment/pos...fighting-words
You are referring to a specific case as if it's definitive to all fighting words.

I appreciate that in the prior post you admit it possibly didn't happen.

I stand by my point that fighting words, if brought before a court, would not offer carte blanche protection to say....an adult male vs. someone vastly vastly weaker and no threat.

But again, if you want to green-light me beating the ever living hell out of some 9 or 90-year old that is standing next to me in line and calls me cracker at wallmart, then by all means.....I disagree with you.

I do agree if that if the deceased were some 30yo dude that did this and fell and died that charges could reasonably be dropped if the slur were indeed uttered. (Per fighting words)

Old 05-12-2021, 06:47 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times
The op left out allegedly said something racist!!

Old 05-12-2021, 06:51 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Of late, I've had a lot of trouble at a Burger King drive-thru I previously patronized maybe once a month in the past. Nowadays, the drive-thru is very slow, sometimes one sits at the ordering mic for 5-10 minutes even when no one is ahead of me. Two months ago I waited so long with no one taking my order, I backed out, asking cars behind me to move which they did. Every now and then the company brings in a new manager, things improve while he is there, soon as he's gone, it's back to no-service. B/c of this, I don't go there anymore. Guessing, the drive-thru service - or lack thereof - is what ticked the guy off in the first place.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-12-2021 at 06:59 PM..

Old 05-12-2021, 06:57 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
There is video of the assault.

"Pujols told police that the man was a regular customer, was “extremely rude” that day and called Pujols a racial slur, according to the arrest report. Pujols, who is Black, said he asked the man to repeat what he said, and he uttered the same slur. Pujols said he punched the man once in the face, causing him to fall, the report said. "

A 27 year old man punches a 77 year old man after Pujols asked the elderly man to repeat what he said. POW! BAM! Holy Jupiter Batman! Elderly man goes down on concrete floor.

No reports of what the "racial slur" was. Considering it was a 77 year old man, it was probably something that he had been using without much thought for first 76 years of his life.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can break my heart.

(Just a little something my 3rd grade teacher taught us. An aside, have you ever heard a kid saying the sticks and stones thing, who wasn't on the verge of tears? Or actually crying? We really can't pretend that just because words don't leave physical marks, they aren't a form of assault).
LOL!
I usually made them look like fools with my own words.
I learned very young how to turn in back on you. My mom was very good at it, too.
My dad was the silent death stare type of guy.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:02 PM

2,828 posts, read 825,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
https://nypost.com/2021/05/12/dunkin...ial-slur-cops/

Do racial slurs excuse assault? Or manslaughter? I would think anti-racism warriors would approve.
I wonder if the employee is lying to soften the blow a little. We will never know.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:03 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
https://nypost.com/2021/05/12/dunkin...ial-slur-cops/

Do racial slurs excuse assault? Or manslaughter? I would think anti-racism warriors would approve.
I don't think you'll get many yes votes. Some might think the old man had it coming, but that does not hold up in court.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
The op left out allegedly said something racist!!
It is in the topic title... LOL! Bwhahahahahaaa
I do it too. Relax.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:06 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
I know I can't post a GoFundMe on this forum, so I won't - but a cousin states that the older man came at Pujols in a threatening manner, and Pujols was afraid he would be assaulted. There IS video, I've read - it would be interesting to see it.

The police version of this is the man is a regular customer, was rude in the drive through line so was asked to leave by an employee. Instead he parked and came in, and encountered Pujols who is the store manager.

I'd sure like to see the video.

"The store’s surveillance system captured video of the punch. The video shows the customer didn’t touch Pujols." Was this "older man" in the store at the time? Pujols is 27 yo. The customer was 77 yo. Pujols was afraid of a 77 year old man??? Someone he knew as a regular customer????

https://www.tampabay.com/news/crime/...ce=parsely-api

Old 05-12-2021, 07:06 PM

If you got a recording or witnesses, that the guy said he "was going to kick your ass - or kill you", then that is a crime and a justified killing would be in order.
Let due process work it out.
Other than that, we all have an individual right to say what ever the hell we wish.
Time, place, manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies