Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 05:03 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewship View Post
Considering that the pride march itself is a commemoration against a riot protesting police violence, it would be very ironic and not very apropos to include them, now would it? Police officers are allowed to march, just not in uniform.
So now gay pride parades represent protest against the police ?
What happened to being proud of being gay ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 05:14 AM

1,568 posts, read 909,830 times
Ok, that’s fine. But next year when the Ancient Order of Hibernians tells the gays they can’t bring their rainbow flags to flounce down 5th Ave in the St Patrick’s day parade maybe they will refrain from throwing red paint on St Patrick’s Cathedral and harassing worshippers like they’ve done every year since 1980.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:06 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times
Quote:
Instead, the NYPD will "provide first response and security only when absolutely necessary as mandated by city officials" and officers will be kept one block away from the march and other events whenever possible, organizers said. The group plans to fund the use of private security for emergency response and volunteers trained in de-escalation.
While I don't want anything to happen...

Here we have a high profile event in a high profile city where it has been announced that the nearest cops will be a block away and they will be relying on private security trained in "de-escalation".

Yea what could possibly go wrong.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:33 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The Oklahoma City pride parades are always peaceful. The worst part of them is where a Christian right preacher has to be fenced in for protection to preach against the gays. But it's for the 1st Amendment.
Phelps wasn't "Christian Right", he was his only looney cult of mostly family members and kooks. I don't think I ever saw his group exceed 15 or so and the few times I saw them protest it was more like 6-7. I point this out because these attacks come from a number of religious and political angles, but for some "religious right" is *comfortable*.

Additionally, Phelps was a democrat, civil rights lawyer, even ran for democratic office.

So, let's at least get our facts straight.

I have previously credited Westboro Baptist Church for being such nutty scumbags that they actually helped LGBT which I heartily endorse.

P.S. The irony that the pride parades in Oklahoma are peaceful despite the republicans, rednecks etc. but ones in other parts of the country are more troubled is something people should pay attention to. Maybe this years Chicago pride parade can march south instead of north...right past the Nation of Islam HQ.

Last edited by Mathguy; 05-16-2021 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-16-2021, 06:44 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Naw, homophobia is still a thing, people just disguise it in big cities; However in small towns, they just dont care and beat the **** out of you .
Aw, stereotypes for $1000 Alex. Obviously there are bad people everywhere but FBI crime stats tell a different story.

And before you pull out the Matthew Shepard case, I can match that one with so many many many more.

https://time.com/5601227/two-black-t...rans-violence/

Lots of articles on the topic out there, they're a little shy about whom is doing the killings but FBI isn't.

Here is a typical case: (mugshots included)

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/2-...NE764L5NLLH7Q/

Old 05-16-2021, 06:48 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So now gay pride parades represent protest against the police ?
What happened to being proud of being gay ?
The clash between gay marchers and police last year was a game changer. It got really violent as the video showed. They had teamed up with BLM and it did not end well including pepper spray and arrests.
I can see why organizers wanted to avoid that. The pride weekend is a huge event in nyc and has been for many many years. Businesses count on it.
I am sure nyc wants the tourist money that this event brings in.
NYPD has to take at least some responsibility of the this situation and it seems like they have.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:54 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,798,250 times
I think, technically, they are banning a gay police group who would normally march. The police will still be there in their official function.

It's unclear how much of the pride parade is happening in person. Some may be 'virtual.' That's ridiculous because vaccination rates/natural immunity are very high in NYC, plus the parade is outdoors. It's no different from the BLM protests and riots they had all last summer in terms of virus risk.

It's utterly ridiculous for them to do this. It's just another one of many anti-police actions by the woke ideologues of NYC. It's crazy how people in NYC think they don't need the cops, given what a crime-infested, violent, graffiti-covered, chaotic, filthy cesspool it has become.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:17 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Ok, that’s fine. But next year when the Ancient Order of Hibernians tells the gays they can’t bring their rainbow flags to flounce down 5th Ave in the St Patrick’s day parade maybe they will refrain from throwing red paint on St Patrick’s Cathedral and harassing worshippers like they’ve done every year since 1980.
great point.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Cool, parades with no cops. Here comes the next mass shooting. Thanks libs. Making an area a "cop free zone" is the same as a "gun free zone". Idiots.
As I understand it, the organizers have banned uniformed officer GROUPS from marching in the parade.

Beyond this, it’s noise.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Lots of articles on the topic out there, they're a little shy about whom is doing the killings but FBI isn't.

Here is a typical case: (mugshots included)

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/2-...NE764L5NLLH7Q/
Not clear to me if this was a robbery turned murder or if the victims were targeted because of their orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies