Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 01:12 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
=A group of civilians, with no connection to the city government or the police, can BAN police officers from a section of public street for a certain period of time?
The organizers are no longer hiring off-duty officers to provide security, and instead will use private security firms.

Whether the organizers can prevent on-duty officers from patrolling the parade route, I don't know how that works, if that's what they're proposing. I guess you can have anything written into a parade permit, if both parties agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 01:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
From the outside looking in, it seems like pride week in nyc is a giant party. Is it known to be dangerous with shootings and violence? If so, they keep it quiet- families go in to participate. The parade is great fun as a spectator. Love the costumes.
I was in Chicago a few years ago for pride and there were shootings and violence. Not anti gay as far as I know but just some, shall we say, wayward souls looking for trouble. Plus the whole Boystown neighborhood was just trashed afterwards. It turned me off big time and especially now that gay pride also means anti police.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:15 PM

5,862 posts, read 3,302,153 times
Yet they want to have the cops take care of the traffic for them. You don't want the cops but you want the cops for traffic control? What the cops should do is be hands off. Let the gays fend for themselves. The upper brass in the NYPD is gutless and will do anything the LGBT community wants. It is a disgrace.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:20 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Yet they want to have the cops take care of the traffic for them. You don't want the cops but you want the cops for traffic control? What the cops should do is be hands off. Let the gays fend for themselves. The upper brass in the NYPD is gutless and will do anything the LGBT community wants. It is a disgrace.
Are you too good for traffic control? Not in the job description. Only available for pepper spray today?

Old 05-16-2021, 02:22 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not clear to me if this was a robbery turned murder or if the victims were targeted because of their orientation.
Regardless, FBI hate crime stats record actual determined hate crimes...well read up on the topic. Let's just say it's as uncomfortable of a demographical reality as whom assaults asians in major cities.

I've posted the FBI hate crime links to this forum literally dozens of times for a variety of discussions, so I'm done doing that in hopes others will learn to use it at a resource themselves if they're serious about a topic.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:33 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Regardless, FBI hate crime stats record actual determined hate crimes...well read up on the topic. Let's just say it's as uncomfortable of a demographical reality as whom assaults asians in major cities.

I've posted the FBI hate crime links to this forum literally dozens of times for a variety of discussions, so I'm done doing that in hopes others will learn to use it at a resource themselves if they're serious about a topic.
If you were serious about the topic you would understand the threshold for being defined as a hate crime is actually pretty high and involves it actually being reported to proper authorities and taken seriously, which it usually isnt.

Lets remember that even the Matthew Shepherd Act( you mentioned the man himself) didnt go into affect until 2009/2010.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Sir, I grew up gay in a town of 8,000.

I got into multiple fights in middle school and high school with homophobes who physically attacked me first. How many of those altercations do you believe got reported as hate crimes ?????

The answer is 0.

I fully get that you dont understand the scope of this, but some of this is theater on your part.

Im confused, did you mean to post a link about Transgender murders instead of FBI stats on LGBT hate crimes ???
I grew up straight in a town of 5,000. Sorry your town was so full of a-holes, in my town we didn't go for that sort of abuse (further north). We had a number of gays in our town and that didn't occur in my town despite the religious homophobes. (I'm over 50, the area was conservative too.) Don't get me wrong, things were still really backwards then and it makes me sad.

I had a number of gay friends, some closeted some clearly not. (I did choir, musicals etc. so um...yeah lol.)

I *get* the scope of this, I got in fights and assaulted in school as well for other reasons.

But hey, I'm assuming you live in a larger city now so by all means, go take a bus ride through the poorer areas while holding hands with your partner and enjoy the enlightenment of big city living without those durned rednecks. (Just kidding, don't do that, I like you and don't wish you dead. )

The US is a great big country with lots of diversity. Some parts are clearly anti-gay, I just get tired of the narrative that it's rednecks with gun racks in small towns doing all the mean stuff to gays (and now asians). Again, that's acceptable. Same reason you see headlines of "White woman yells at Asian jogger" on national news while other stories don't get the same coverage.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If you were serious about the topic you would understand the threshold for being defined as a hate crime is actually pretty high and involves it actually being reported to proper authorities and taken seriously, which it usually isnt.

Lets remember that even the Matthew Shepherd Act( you mentioned the man himself) didnt go into affect until 2009/2010.
I'm a data guy. I'm not claiming that is the EXTENT of the issue.

I'm claiming that it gives you an idea of the shape of the attacking demographic for the serious and minor (unreported) incidents.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:46 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I grew up straight in a town of 5,000. Sorry your town was so full of a-holes, in my town we didn't go for that sort of abuse (further north). We had a number of gays in our town and that didn't occur in my town despite the religious homophobes. (I'm over 50, the area was conservative too.) Don't get me wrong, things were still really backwards then and it makes me sad.

I had a number of gay friends, some closeted some clearly not. (I did choir, musicals etc. so um...yeah lol.)

I *get* the scope of this, I got in fights and assaulted in school as well for other reasons.
I you get these things, I dont understand posting FBI stats on it then.

Quote:
But hey, I'm assuming you live in a larger city now so by all means, go take a bus ride through the poorer areas while holding hands with your partner and enjoy the enlightenment of big city living without those durned rednecks. (Just kidding, don't do that, I like you and don't wish you dead. )
Nope, sadly still live in the same area. I have been saving up to find a more liberal area.

Quote:
The US is a great big country with lots of diversity. Some parts are clearly anti-gay, I just get tired of the narrative that it's rednecks with gun racks in small towns doing all the mean stuff to gays (and now asians). Again, that's acceptable. Same reason you see headlines of "White woman yells at Asian jogger" on national news while other stories don't get the same coverage.
Homophobes come in every size and shape, color, and region: but as even you admit its proportional and political.

Im sure there are homophobes on the left, but they are few and far between and our Party rightly purges them. We have even gotten to a point that black homophobes are being told to change or leave.

The right doesnt do that. We cant pretend like this is a "Both sides" issue.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:55 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,849,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
NYPD gay officers have been banned from NYC Pride marches. This means the LGBT movement does not want you unless you tow the leftist line. The whole movement has been exposed as being a bunch of leftist nonsense. Unless you vote Democrat, you aint black. Unless you vote Democrat, you aint gay either!
This is so very wrong. I understand that some (not many if you take the group as a whole) cops have victimized other LGBTQ folks. That, of course, is wrong. But to exclude an entire group of people simply because they are cops (the majority of which are professionals, who do their jobs with honor and integrity) is also wrong. Also, you can't really have a parade without cops marching in it. It's kind of an unwritten rule. Also, also, **** NYC Pride.

Quote:
This means the LGBT movement does not want you unless you tow the leftist line.
No, it doesn't. This is something NYC Pride has done, not the LGBTQ people as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies