Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 11:31 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I won't disagree. Things are much different now. Also, I don't know where you come up with me disparaging higher education, although, much like you, I to can usually identify a university educated person. They are "usually" the ones talking down their noses at others, or are generally pretentious. As you've displayed.
I've paraphrased what you wrote upthread:

"Sorry , the truth hurts. Want to make a good living? [Get an education and continue to] learn skills."

Do you mean how some of you "talk down your noses" at people who work in fast food or entry level jobs and who would like a decent wage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 11:37 AM

29,490 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

"Sorry , the truth hurts. Want to make a good living? [Get an education and continue to] learn skills.
Fair enough. My omission of education in my statement does not mean I'm against education though. Skills, regardless of how one attains them is the key take away from my statement. Being that you are higher educated, I would have figured you'd get that.

And telling someone that they have to attain marketable skills if they want to progress past entry level wages is not talking down to them. It is helping them.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:41 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:

"Sorry , the truth hurts. Want to make a good living? [Get an education and continue to] learn skills."

Do you mean how some of you "talk down your noses" at people who work in fast food or entry level jobs and who would like a decent wage?
What’s your definition of a fast food decent wage?

When were fast food entry level positions ever supposed to be for full time employees and/or folks with families?

Old 05-18-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

And telling someone that they have to attain marketable skills if they want to progress past entry level wages is not talking down to them. It is helping them.
So is telling them they need to have at least an undergraduate degree. That may not be a well-received or a well-liked fact, and I agree it's a PITA, but it's a fact.

And many of you DO talk down to people who work in fast food/retail/customer service jobs. Not saying you do necessarily, but you know very well that lots of people in these threads do.

FWIW, I worked in all kinds of jobs -- for low wages -- when I was a student and after I first graduated. I've waitressed, worked in retail and customer service, been a cashier, worked as a pharmacy tech, worked my a$$ off at a nursery/landscaping business, etc.

My grandmother raised 4 kids after the war on a waitress's wages. My mom worked in a bank.

I "look down my nose" at others? Not even close. But I have no problem putting people who DO look down on others in their place.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post

When were fast food entry level positions ever supposed to be for full time employees and/or folks with families?
I don't think they WERE ever supposed to be for folks with families. But the inconvenient fact is they ARE often filled by adults with adult responsibilities and expenses. People with families to support.

Where else are all the poorly educated legal/illegal immigrants the US chooses to bring in supposed to work? The government -- run by big corporations -- wants a permanent underclass to ensure cheap labor for them.

That's the reality.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:59 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, why haven't they gone with a modified approach like 3 zones due to cost of living?

Was 15 being too much for their constituency not the point of contention?
Manchin said no all together.

Shaheen, Hassen and Sinema all supported a modified approach, but all support a different type of approach.

I dont know about any public statements from the other 4 senators.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:00 PM

29,490 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
So is telling them they need to have at least an undergraduate degree. That may not be a well-received or a well-liked fact, and I agree it's a PITA, but it's a fact.

And many of you DO talk down to people who work in fast food/retail/customer service jobs. Not saying you do necessarily, but you know very well that lots of people in these threads do.

FWIW, I worked in all kinds of jobs -- for low wages -- when I was a student and after I first graduated. I've waitressed, worked in retail and customer service, been a cashier, worked as a pharmacy tech, worked my a$$ off at a nursery/landscaping business, etc.

My grandmother raised 4 kids after the war on a waitress's wages. My mom worked in a bank.

I "look down my nose" at others? Not even close. But I have no problem putting people who DO look down on others in their place.
Isn't this just everyday life ? People insult others for no reason, every day all day....just have to love social media and the internet.

And take it for what it's worth. If someone is whining to me about their job, that they don't make enough etc... regardless of the job. I'll basically tell them the same thing. The only one that is going to change things in your life, is you.

I too have done whatever it takes to make money. In '08 when the job market (in my industry) fell apart, I went from a mid six figure job to making $10 an hour working at a friends marina. It was the physically hardest work I'd ever done. It was all good though, I lost weight, got a tan, and was able to keep afloat.

Lastly , I just found your statement that you can "generally" tell if someone is educated or not, by their ideas and communication skills a bit pretentious. You may have not intended it that way, but it sounded it. That is the problem with generalizations.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:02 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post

I always thought that fast food jobs were for kids in school or older retiree's looking to make a few extra bucks. I can't imagine someone planning a whole family intending to work fast food.

I think sometimes things happen as life happens and people find themselves in positions that are less than desirable. Sometimes life requires a little bit of grit to get through.

There are training programs in vocational schools and community colleges than get someone a path onto a middle class lifestyle in modest amounts of time.

There are ways and paths to get out of tough situations, people just need to put in a bit of effort at times. We all can use a hand up at times, I have no issues with that. I've been lucky and caught a couple of decent breaks growing up, but I also put in my effort. I was going to school at community college and working at the same time. People need to move forward in their lives.

I sound like my dad, but it is what it is. No one in life is going to hand you things, or should they. You have to work for them.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think they WERE ever supposed to be for folks with families. But the inconvenient fact is they ARE often filled by adults with adult responsibilities and expenses. People with families to support.

Where else are all the poorly educated legal/illegal immigrants the US chooses to bring in supposed to work? The government -- run by big corporations -- wants a permanent underclass to ensure cheap labor for them.

That's the reality.
Folks that expect wages for jobs that weren’t ever supposed to be for adults and families chose the wrong lifestyle and aren’t entitled to more because they chose poorly.

The poorly educated legal/illegal immigrants should stay where they’re at if they can’t support themselves. The US has enough of its own folks that aren’t capable of taking care of themselves to help.

Get educated and better oneself versus having to take a job that’s meant for part time workers. Choosing poorly is one’s own fault, not the 50% of the country that pays taxes.

What should an entry level fast food worker make?

Old 05-18-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I always thought that fast food jobs were for kids in school or older retiree's looking to make a few extra bucks. I can't imagine someone planning a whole family intending to work fast food.

I think sometimes things happen as life happens and people find themselves in positions that are less than desirable. Sometimes life requires a little bit of grit to get through.

There are training programs in vocational schools and community colleges than get someone a path onto a middle class lifestyle in modest amounts of time.

There are ways and paths to get out of tough situations, people just need to put in a bit of effort at times. We all can use a hand up at times, I have no issues with that. I've been lucky and caught a couple of decent breaks growing up, but I also put in my effort. I was going to school at community college and working at the same time. People need to move forward in their lives.

I sound like my dad, but it is what it is. No one in life is going to hand you things, or should they. You have to work for them.
Bingo

These entitled clowns that think everything should be handed to them are a drain on society.

For those that defend them and think they deserve more should put their money where their mouth is and support them and/or take them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies