Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 01:54 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times

Advertisements

Might have been more helpful if you'd specified that the little 9 year old girl was not shot by the police. Everyone tends to assume that any news article reporting a anyone shooting of absolutely anyone else is going to be, "The police shot _______" by default.

The police of Minneapolis have been sent the message loud and clear. The community doesn't want you there. The community doesn't think the service that you are providing is worth anything. Time to start looking for work elsewhere in a town or city who doesn't hate you. Minneapolis can turn into the movie "Escape From New York" by their own choosing if that's what they really want.

You gotta be a special kind of crazy to stay on as a member of Minneapolis PD at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 01:57 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Might have been more helpful if you'd specified that the little 9 year old girl was not shot by the police. Everyone tends to assume that any news article reporting a anyone shooting of absolutely anyone else is going to be, "The police shot _______" by default.

The police of Minneapolis have been sent the message loud and clear. The community doesn't want you there. The community doesn't think the service that you are providing is worth anything. Time to start looking for work elsewhere in a town or city who doesn't hate you. Minneapolis can turn into the movie "Escape From New York" by their own choosing if that's what they really want.

You gotta be a special kind of crazy to stay on as a member of Minneapolis PD at this point.
The article in the first post specifically states she wasn’t shot by police as there is a vehicle being searched for.

Absolutely a special kind of crazy. I’d love to see them walk off the job or get defunded. They’d be begged to come back very quickly.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:08 PM

853 posts, read 337,346 times
The thing you all are forgetting is that the current situation was caused by the Minneapolis police. It didn't come out of nowhere.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
The thing you all are forgetting is that the current situation was caused by the Minneapolis police. It didn't come out of nowhere.
The Minneapolis police didn’t cause opportunistic thugs to burn it down, loot, cause violence, cause $1B+ in damages, etc... The dregs of society that is BLM/Antifa and other thugs caused the current cesspool situation.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:16 PM

853 posts, read 337,346 times
The city was quiet and peaceful before they killed George Floyd. After they did that crime went up in every city in America. They undid 30 years of racial healing in this country with one act.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:32 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
that’s what people in small towns and small cities do to make themselves feel better about never visiting or living in big cities.

One time I met someone who said she was a Steeler fan. I asked if she ever visited Pittsburgh and she said “oh no, I locked my doors while driving through it, big cities are scary!!!

Acting like the city is filled with Zombies who chase down cars on highways.
Yep. That’s why you just wave people like that along, they don’t contribute at all to the conversation when they act like they’re experts in a place they’ve never been.

Crime happens in cities of course & the crime for the most part is contained to a certain area or two. Claiming an entire city is a cesspool because of a couple areas is just ignorant. I’m sure unrest increased in Minneapolis during the past year, that’s not surprising. Not is it surprising for other areas, it’s been a tumultuous year. As for defunding police, I actually haven’t even taken a position on that however, the consensus is not taking funding away, it’s including funding for other avenues & training. Shrug, I see no problem with that. The police are not mental health experts or the health department, bring in trainers & people who DO know what they’re doing in that area.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
The city was quiet and peaceful before they killed George Floyd. After they did that crime went up in every city in America. They undid 30 years of racial healing in this country with one act.
Yes, BLM/Antifa and other thugs undid 30 years of healing when they decided to riot and cause $1B+ in damages because a serial criminal broke the law, resisted arrest, and died with fentanyl in his system. There’s was zero reason for them to do it but muh entitlement, free tvs, shoes, etc...

Old 05-17-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
that’s what people in small towns and small cities do to make themselves feel better about never visiting or living in big cities.

One time I met someone who said she was a Steeler fan. I asked if she ever visited Pittsburgh and she said “oh no, I locked my doors while driving through it, big cities are scary!!!

Acting like the city is filled with Zombies who chase down cars on highways.
Wow, one anecdotal experience about someone that visited Pittsburgh and think big cities are scary. I have a house 35 minutes north of Pittsburgh and have friends and family that still live there and I visit it regularly, and I’ve visited big cities around the country. Minneapolis has simply been turned into a cesspool much like Portland and Chicago. There’s plenty of great big cities, but those aren’t one of them right now.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yep. That’s why you just wave people like that along, they don’t contribute at all to the conversation when they act like they’re experts in a place they’ve never been.

Crime happens in cities of course & the crime for the most part is contained to a certain area or two. Claiming an entire city is a cesspool because of a couple areas is just ignorant. I’m sure unrest increased in Minneapolis during the past year, that’s not surprising. Not is it surprising for other areas, it’s been a tumultuous year. As for defunding police, I actually haven’t even taken a position on that however, the consensus is not taking funding away, it’s including funding for other avenues & training. Shrug, I see no problem with that. The police are not mental health experts or the health department, bring in trainers & people who DO know what they’re doing in that area.
One doesn’t have to visit or be there to understand what’s gone on.

Yep, crime happens in every city, thankfully not to the degree that’s happened to Minneapolis over the last year+. Is the $1B+ in damages the last year+ fake news?

Old 05-17-2021, 03:00 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Is there a valid link confirming that the police force has been defunded?
No, but they talked about it and have given the officers no political support - just the opposite. 200 officers have quit or taken an extended leave of absence as a result. They are planning to recruit 200 as replacements and additional as well, but that takes time. The politicians created this mess and now the people are living with it, but they voted for it so whatever.

The fact is there are just too many criminals who are taking advantage of the weakened police presence. This is the kind of scum they deal with day in and day out. Under this pressure there are going to be a couple of bad incidents, just how it is. It’s a fair trade to me to live in a safer society.

https://www.startribune.com/minneapo...ork/600019034/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies