Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2021, 11:36 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,249,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
But, see, that's just it. Most of you complaining about "Hollyweird" and "Hollywoke" HAVEN'T parted ways with it at all. And I doubt many of you will.

You dutifully gripe about the "liberal cesspool." Then you sit down each night and watch what's on cable or Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime.

What's a good word for that?
A good word for that is assumption. You just made the assumption that everyone here putting Hollywood in the rear view is eagerly combing through Netflix, Hulu and Prime for that 'big movie' they missed in the theater. I can assure you in my life that is NOT the case and I'd make a substantial wager I am far from the only one. I have a multitude of non-woke interests and hobbies that those streaming services have to WORK to turn my head their way.

I no more want to see Hollywood's woke 'pap' on my small screen than I do on a big screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 11:44 PM

608 posts, read 239,595 times
...man... I think the last movie I saw in the theatre was Deadpool 2...?

Old 05-25-2021, 04:46 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post

Political correctness and social justice really limit what Hollywood can create. They are too afraid of offending any one particular group of people.
Recent trends make me wonder how limited the pool of available villains will be for American movies. Of course you can't have all black people as the villains. Muslims, and anyone from the Middle East, is out of the question. A lot of people complained about the newest Rambo movie having Mexican cartel members as villains, so I guess that's out. We were allowed to have East Asian villains in our movies, but since Trump said the words "China virus," I'm sure that's over. It gets redundant having Russians, or maybe a British guy, as the bad guys in every last movie.

Last edited by fat lou; 05-25-2021 at 05:10 AM..

Old 05-25-2021, 04:51 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting Hollyweird needs your money

Fake Carrot top Arnold Schwarzenegger Leads ‘Big Screen Is Back’ Event, with Celebrities Urging America to Return to Movie Theaters

Arnold Schwarzenegger chanted with enthusiasm, “We are back! We are back!” before he spoke Wednesday about the importance of resurrecting the theatrical experience for moviegoers.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...ovie-theaters/
Dear Hollywood:

No.

Regards,

Someone who loved going to the movies as a kid, but has come to despise the lot of you, and has no TV, nor any subscription to any streaming sites.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:52 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Wokeness doesn’t sell.
No it doesn't. It's not entertaining at all. Everything has a leftist message, lecture and agenda. It's vile and unwatchable.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:03 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Predictably, it seems an activist is attempting to mischaracterize this thread as a "pearl clutcher moralizer, grandpa-aged" group complaining about the morals. That is incorrect.

Most people are over-saturated with the Marvel Comics and Star Wars movie franchises (empires?) and reboots/remakes of every movie or tv show. Netflix and Amazon Prime have many excellent original series and movies.

Man Up = Brilliant movie. It's from England, though.
Hunt for the Wilderpeople = Fantastic, surprising, sweet. New Zealand.

La La Land? Not brilliant. I could not even finish it; it was not an interesting story, the writing was not crisp and the acting was not special. The promotion team for La La Land must have had a massive budget and pressured the media to give it plenty of hype. West Side Story reboot? I won't see it!

In 2019 I went with my adult daughter to see Rocketman in a newly renovated movie theater. Outstanding movie--Taron Egerton is incredible!--but there were only 4 of us in the entire theater, and the two women who came in after us sat directly behind us and proceeded to talk during the movie. Some of the comments were so ignorant, I wondered if she even knew who Elton John is. So while some movies are excellent, the audience behaviors make it less than appealing.
Foreign films have always been better than the lawn clippings Hollywood throws at us, attempting to make us believe we're looking at a beautifully manicured lawn.

One of my faves is "Babette's Feast". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092603/

Old 05-25-2021, 05:04 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
But, see, that's just it. Most of you complaining about "Hollyweird" and "Hollywoke" HAVEN'T parted ways with it at all. And I doubt many of you will.

You dutifully gripe about the "liberal cesspool." Then you sit down each night and watch what's on cable or Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime.

What's a good word for that?
Speak for yourself. I'm pretty sure that the only American movie I've seen that was made post Trump's election is "Joker;" and I only watched that because I heard specifically that it wasn't political. Though even that movie had some obvious Trump character shoehorned in for no apparent reason. It makes me wonder: if a movie that features a character like that can be praised for its "non-wokeness," what the hell is in the "woke" movies?

Old 05-25-2021, 05:23 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Just to point out, currently rewatching Star Trek Deep Space 9 on Netflix. Hardly a new show. In fact the vast majority of the shows I stream are binging thru older shows. Not much new to worth watching these days either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
A good word for that is assumption. You just made the assumption that everyone here putting Hollywood in the rear view is eagerly combing through Netflix, Hulu and Prime for that 'big movie' they missed in the theater. I can assure you in my life that is NOT the case and I'd make a substantial wager I am far from the only one. I have a multitude of non-woke interests and hobbies that those streaming services have to WORK to turn my head their way.
No, I didn't make the assumption that EVERYONE who complains about Hollywood continues to consume what Hollywood produces. I said that I doubt many DON'T.

And I'm confident I'm right. Neither of you are representative of the majority of "Hollyweird" haters.

FWIW, I've disliked most of what comes out of Hollywood for a couple of decades now. Haven't had cable in years and don't miss it; watch very few shows on Netflix/Prime and almost never watch a movie produced in the last 15-20 years. And I'm a "liberal."

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 05-25-2021 at 05:32 AM..

Old 05-25-2021, 05:38 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:
No, I didn't make the assumption that EVERYONE who complains about Hollywood continues to consume what Hollywood produces. I said that I doubt that many DON'T.
And I'm confident I'm right. Neither of you are representative of the majority of "Hollyweird" haters.

FWIW, I've disliked most of what comes out of Hollywood for a couple of decades now. Haven't had cable in years and don't miss it; watch very few shows on Netflix/Prime and almost never watch a movie produced in the last 15-20 years. And I'm a "liberal."
It's puzzling as to why you are bothering to post on a Hollywood/American movie theater thread if you don't seem to have any recent experience or interest in such things.

One might think that the militant liberal social media conformist squad requires a certain number of posts in order to be paid by their leaders. The liberal echo chamber cannot stand individual freedom of thought and wants to mandate all our activities, including entertainment and lifestyles.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:44 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting Hollyweird needs your money

Fake Carrot top Arnold Schwarzenegger Leads ‘Big Screen Is Back’ Event, with Celebrities Urging America to Return to Movie Theaters

Arnold Schwarzenegger chanted with enthusiasm, “We are back! We are back!” before he spoke Wednesday about the importance of resurrecting the theatrical experience for moviegoers.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...ovie-theaters/
Screw them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies