Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 02:16 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
You had 45 Senate Democrats in 2018 (when the GOP had the House) agree to that very proposal. Trump reneged and backed off. No Democrat in 2019 was going to agree to that when Trump's leverage was gone.

But liberals suffer from "TDS" when It was Trump who backed away from this very compromise.
If Trump had proposed a bill, just to build a wall, and then a separate bill to legalize Dreamers, Pelosi would have rejected it. Meanwhile Trump would have signed both bills, so that is where we are.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:19 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If Trump had proposed a bill, just to build a wall, and then a separate bill to legalize Dreamers, Pelosi would have rejected it. Meanwhile Trump would have signed both bills, so that is where we are.
Is that why trump wanted to get rid of daca & SC rejected it?

Old 05-26-2021, 02:21 PM

62,960 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
A bill for amnesty? Why should Trump or the Republicans have gone for that? I realize that Trump was going to trade DACA for the wall funds but our national security should indeed be a separate issue. At any rate, the Democrats would only give Trump a mere pittance of the funds that he needed to get the wall started so that's why the deal failed and I'm glad that it did.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:26 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I love the way that right-wing media teaches hate, even to the point of contradicting themselves. Looky here as American Thinker quotes NBC San Diego.

"A San Diego County resident and DACA recipient who’s worked several jobs to pay his way through college achieved part of his dream Tuesday when he graduated from San Diego State University.Javier Diego Jacinto, 22 – proudly flying a Mexican flag – walked across the stage at Petco Park during SDSU’s commencement ceremony as his family cheered from the stands."

Got that? He payed his way through college by working his ass off on several jobs.

Then American Thinker adds, "Who teaches a kid like that to go wave the Mexican flag instead of the American one after graduating at taxpayer expense from a U.S. university?
A big fat lie. They expected their low-information readership to become outraged without actually even reading the article, and you all didn't disappoint!

Let's check out his Linked-in page. https://www.linkedin.com/in/javierdiegojacinto

He's worked at McDonalds for the past 3 years and 8 months. So basically he's worked there the entire time he's been in college. Not only that he worked several other jobs at the same time according to the NBC7 article referenced by American Thinker: "He worked as a janitor. He helped his dad with landscaping gigs and helped his mom clean houses."

Also from his linked in page, he's also worked at the following positions in school.

• Chief Executive Officer Aspiring Teacher’s Club
  • Graduate Representative, Undocumented Resource Center Hiring Committee
  • College of Education Representative PIMHA of SDSU
  • Public Relations Officer Education Without Border (SDSU)
  • EOP Soar Mentor
  • Student Assistant San Diego State University URC

And what did he take his degree in? Bachelor of Education - BEdElementary Education and Teaching with a Focus in Literacy.

That kid ya'll call disgusting, a leech, and scum, and any number of other vile names for being proud of his heritage, puts his own self through college and wants nothing more than to be an elementary school teacher.
None of all that you wrote matters. He and is family are leeches as they are here illegally. He took a seat in college that should have gone to an American citizen or foreign student.

When he took that college seat through ill-gotten gains, there was either an American or a foreign student who lost out.

Since you can't figure it out, I will explain. You're welcome.

Student A was born and raised in Mexico. When he finishes high school, he decides that he wants to go to a state college in the US. He applies to attend the school of his choice and is granted admission. He is sent paperwork to apply for a student visa, which he completes. Once in college, he is charged out-of-state rates.

Student B was born in Mexico but along with the rest of his family came to the US illegally. He attends public schools courtesy of the taxpayers. (Before you say his parents pay taxes, think again. They most likely are paid under the table. If they are paying taxes, they are doing so via ID theft or using a fake SSN. Sometimes that fake SSN belongs to a living person, who like the ID theft victim gets put into a world of hurt). When he graduates, student B decides to go to college at a state school in the state where the family is squatting and is accepted---this is the same college that Student A is also attending. Even though there is a federal law in place that says students like him have to pay out-of-state rates, Student B is living in a state that thumbs its nose at the federal law. As a result, he gets accepted and pays in-state tuition.

And in a slightly different scenario, just see who gets shortchanged:

Student C is an American citizen. When he finishes high school, he decides to attend a state college that's in a different state. He applies, gets accepted and pays the out-of-state rate.

Student D is an illegal alien and is squatting in the state where Student C is paying those out-of-state rates to go to college. Student D applies to that same college, is accepted and gets in-state rates.

To take this scenario even further --- When exchange students come to the US to attend an American high school for a year, they are required to pay tuition. Meanwhile, an illegal alien, who has no business even being here, gets a free education.

It's stories like the above^^^^that has me agreeing with those who say it's long past time to revisit Plyler v. Doe again.

So, in conclusion, take your sob story elsewhere.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:26 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You condone businesses actively hiring illegals & then punish the illegals for coming here to make a better life because these companies promised good money. That’s what you choose to keep overlooking. Maybe stop & think about that for a few minutes.
have made
Our government, by refusing to enforce immigration laws and stop illegal immigration, illegal immigration a perpetual situation. They have created this conundrum for employers, where their competition will hire illegal aliens, and then drop their prices to consumers so low, that businesses paying American workers can no longer compete and are bankrupted. This creates a situation where, in some industries, the only businesses still in business are ones that hire illegals.

So blame the businesses that hire illegals, but it's the corrupt politicians in our own government who created this dynamic in the first place.

To put it another way. If politicians found a way to benefit themselves politically, by lowering the speed limit to 55 mph, and not enforcing speed limits for freight carriers. Then the only trucking companies that would exist, are the ones whose drivers exceed the speed limit. All those law abiding truckers would take too long, and the speedy delivery law breakers would be the only ones left on our highways.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:27 PM

962 posts, read 541,204 times
Quote:
Moving goalposts. Trump would not have done that, because Democrats would vote for one and not the other. I won't entertain hypotheticals.

Trump offered a deal, Democrats took it, Trump backed out when advisors told him to. Democrats laughed at him when he tried to offer the deal again, after losing the House. Businesspeople usually understand leverage.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:31 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
However, my dad’s running buddy still proudly displayed a flag from Ireland. The state of Mississippi until recently displayed the Confederate on their state flag.
Interesting fact you bring up. I see plenty of Irish and Italian flags flying on houses around here. Those are OK, right? My sweatshirt with the Polish flag on it - is that OK? And conservatives will defend to the death the right to fly the Confederate flag, which represents a defeated nation that no longer exists.

But a Mexican flag is not OK. How hypocritical of the OP to complain about it.

What about the stick pin with the Canadian flag that I wear on my denim jacket? I wonder if that rankles the OP, et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime1 View Post
These kids are actually coming here and getting a college education? That is awesome.
Right? His degree in elementary education will help a lot of kids over his career. Good for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
As you surely know, becoming a citizen of this country can be incredibly difficult. Nobody celebrates that illegal immigrants are here. The reality is, they are here, they've been here for decades, many had kids here, who are now American, or brought kids here, who know no home other than America. We can say "illegal immigration is wrong" while also saying "it is wrong to break up families, even if their parents broke the law".
And if they've been here for decades, they most likely can earn their citizenship in a much shorter time than more recent immigrants. I don't see a problem with offering a path to citizenship as a condition of staying in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Seriously, I have no issues with this kid waving the Mexican flag... ZERO! BE LOUD AND BE PROUD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Did they/you come here and stay illegally?
You know ... I have no idea. My grandfather came here legally in 1903 - we have his documentation (he never became a citizen, btw ...). But my great grandparents? Who knows? I wonder how many of us can say without a doubt that our ancestors came here legally. Unless you know for sure, don't throw stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Though, having heard some "Italian" American in New Jersey, not sure that can be deemed English either.
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Forget about that flag, flag is not the issue.
I doubt the OP would have created this thread if the kid had not displayed a flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
IMO, anyone here illegally that wants to be made legal and even be given a path to citizenship later should have to return to their homelands and follow the process to come here legally first.
Why not? They're here. Many have no knowledge of their homeland. Many are supporting themselves and paying taxes in the United States. Many are educated and could earn their citizenship rather quickly.

Quote:
He probably majored in Womens Studies, Latin American Studies and LGBTQ Studies.
And you would be incorrect. Try reading the article before commenting.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:33 PM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Everyone born here to citizen parents is a native American and has every right to be here there are no special ones so stop with your BS! All of our early ancestors migrated here from somewhere else including the Amerindians they didn't just sprout up out of the ground like corn, you know.
Quite right.

And are you proud of your heritage?

And to answer an earlier point of yours, yes, visa overstays outnumber illegal border crossings and have done for about a decade.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:34 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Quite right.

And are you proud of your heritage?

And to answer an earlier point of yours, yes, visa overstays outnumber illegal border crossings and have done for about a decade.
It's hard to track illegal crossings when not all of them come in contact with the BP.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:35 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What are the chances the Irish man will go back to Ireland and the illegal won't go back to wherever. Huge difference.
What, no responses to this? I wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies