Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:41 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
PS: It's not the carbs or sugar.

Courtesy Kevin Bass, MS

https://thedietwars.com/why-are-amer...=ReviveOldPost
When you drive through residential neighborhoods, there are no longer kids playing outside. They are inside playing video games.

Fast food was a treat when I was a kid; we got it maybe twice a year. Now fast food is a staple.

When I play golf at the club, I am usually the only one walking the course, instead of taking a golf cart.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's slow today. I may dig into this to see who's behind it, and what their affiliations are. Ten bucks says it's being pushed by someone or some organization which is at odds with the soybean industry for some reason.
Or not. The fine print is too fine - blurry. Can't verify any of this.

Like I said, garbage.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:42 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It’s all about racism

You see, we people of color don’t have access to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. Not because we would loot and rob the place, but because said stores are racist. And this food desert results in people of color only having access to McDonald’s and Taco Bell, if we haven’t burned it down yet.

As far as exercise goes, gyms are racist because they know people of color can’t afford membership fees or the time to go to a gym.

Bottom line: it’s always a white persons fault.
The funny think is the WW2 rationing diet in Britain was better for you than the diet today.

One woman took to eating the WW2 diet, and she lost 98 pounds (7 stone), as well as reducing her weekly shopping bill from £70 ($99.13) to a mere £14 ($19.83) or £2 a day which is $2.83 USD a day.

As for exercise, walking/running is good exercise, and in most countries there are local public swimming pools (many with gyms), which often have concessions for the young, old, disabled, unemployed etc.

Whilst supermarkets and shops should be encouraged to open in under represented areas, I don't think it's just down to race, indeed shops such as Aldi and Lidl are often in less well off areas, as they sell heavily discounted produce.

The real problem is a change from manual work to more white collar work, and a change in diet, with the growth of fast food and processed convenience food.

You could open a fruit and vegetable store in a poor neighbourhood, however it doesn't mean it's going to be successful or that people will change their eating habits.

World War Two Ration Diet: Woman Loses Seven Stone By Spending Just £2 Per Day On Food - Huff Post (2014)

Rationing in World War Two - Historic UK

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-28-2021 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2021, 07:44 AM

10,764 posts, read 4,346,172 times
Big meat eaters feel it necessary to have salad with the meat to make the meal balanced and 'healthier'.
So if the salad is fatter than past eras, I can see why this would be a problem.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:48 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If that's the case, whoever put that up is absolutely terrible at conveying their ideas.

It's slow today. I may dig into this to see who's behind it, and what their affiliations are. Ten bucks says it's being pushed by someone or some organization which is at odds with the soybean industry for some reason.
Nah, even the research shows this:

New UC Riverside research shows soybean oil not only leads to obesity and diabetes, but could also affect neurological conditions like autism, Alzheimer’s disease, anxiety, and depression.

https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2020/0...n%20resistance.

If you think the data is garbage then why don't you show us with your data in what causes obesity?

Old 05-28-2021, 07:49 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I also don't blame just foods, I blame technology. More and more people have jobs where they are sitting at a computer working not moving much throughout the day. Kids and teenagers sit on phones or in front of a TV more so today than ever before. People sit on instagram and facebook for hours as well. Dont even get me started on video games which I don't much about but I know this is how a lot of people spend their time.

I'm not even that old (42) and when I was in high school I had no cell phone and no way to just watch whatever i wanted on tv when i felt like it. Programs were scheduled. Now people can watch their favorite shoes on Netflix, hulu or whatever whenever the heck they want.

There seems to have been this movement during the pandemic of people going for hikes and walks since there wasn't much else to do...whether or not this will stick I have no idea...but I think technology is most certainly contributing to being fat. You can also sit on your phone and order through places like grubhub and have it delivered. I suppose we have had food delivery options for a while but it got even easier the past few years. You dont have to call to talk to someone on the phone, you can just sit there and type away and in 30 minutes the food and booze is at your door.

I am grateful to technology and all the options we have...but most people don't have the discipline to not indulge I guess.

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Progressive answer.... Food deserts.

My answer... We eat to much and don't burn enough calories.

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Big meat eaters feel it necessary to have salad with the meat to make the meal balanced and 'healthier'.
So if the salad is fatter than past eras, I can see why this would be a problem.
Well, a salad with a big glob of buttermilk dressing ain't no better than a steak and potato.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:50 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
It doesn't seem logical that people are eating more than they did in the 70's, 80's and that is the complete story. Less activity for sure, which is one factor. I think the types of foods eaten, too, play a large role. Fats in foods were demonized in the 80's, 90's and replaced w/ simple sugars/carbs, which is prob. worse.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:50 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
We eat too much brown food, not enough green or red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies