Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 07:21 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times

Advertisements

Between the conservatives' inability to formulate a consistent definition of the term, and the Lefties' desire to instantly demonize anything they perceive as a threat, this thread should make for some interesting reading; Please lead on, (or lead off).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 07:29 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I guess I will jump in though I'm not sure what you are trying to start.

I had to look up "neocon" and this seems to be the basic definition, A neocon is someone who agrees politically with conservative ideas including free market capitalism.

That makes sense to me since my politics lean to the Right. We have America, the Greatest Nation on Earth because of Free market Capitalism. Of course the Left would denounce capitalism in general so therein lies the debate.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:01 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
War hawks, interventionists, regime change advocates, and globalists.

Even though the Bush administration were classic Neo-cons, I think Hillary Clinton's policies would have fit the definition, if she had won in 2016.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:02 AM

17,410 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post

Even though the Bush administration were classic Neo-cons, I think Hillary Clinton's policies would have fit the definition, if she had won in 2016.
Exactly.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:13 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:

I agree. Hillary knew what made America great and that was capitalism and what keeps it great is a strong military and throwing America's weight and influence around the world.

Imagine if Hillary faced Trump in 2020 and won. I don't think we would be seeing the far Left dictating their Anti American schemes and orders to her like they are with Biden. Hillary was many things but she was no push over.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:14 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Someone that walks and talks like Dick Cheney.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:17 AM

6,121 posts, read 3,347,968 times
Quote:

To me, the most dangerous part of neocon ideology is globalism.

Globalism, in theory, should be a good thing for everyone, but it isn’t.

The neocons sacrifice the middle class in the US, while creating slave labor in other countries, which is how they enrich themselves.

So when neocons practice globalism, it hurts everyone except them and their fellow 1% cronies.

I want all neocons kicked out of the Republican Party, so they can join Bezos, Gates, Musk, Buffett, Jack Dorsey, Zuckerberg, Bloomberg, etc. in the Democratic Party.

Some people still don’t understand that the Democrats are now the majority party of the 1%.

Once we have all the neocons in one party, then we can fight them and perhaps even beat them.

But if you’ve got neocons controlling both parties, all hope is lost.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

Globalism, in theory, should be a good thing for everyone, but it isn’t.

The neocons sacrifice the middle class in the US, while creating slave labor in other countries, which is how they enrich themselves.

So when neocons practice globalism, it hurts everyone except them and their fellow 1% cronies.

I want all neocons kicked out of the Republican Party, so they can join Bezos, Gates, Musk, Buffett, Jack Dorsey, Zuckerberg, Bloomberg, etc. in the Democratic Party.

Some people still don’t understand that the Democrats are now the majority party of the 1%.

Once we have all the neocons in one party, then we can fight them and perhaps even beat them.

But if you’ve got neocons controlling both parties, all hope is lost.
The philosophy spans both parties, I agree. I still can't understand how they got the 'social justice' crowd to ignore global labor abuses. These woke companies with BLM badges on their website making their products in hellish factories overseas...it's crazy.

For the average person worldwide, globalism is a lose/lose situation. The working and middle class in the developed countries lose as their jobs get shipped away. The slave workers in the developing world lose--as do their nations that get polluted by industrialization. Nations lose when they can't figure out how to make face masks for doctors in a pandemic. The only winners are a small group--about 1%.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:01 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Funny -- to me "globalism" is the only part of the supposed "neocon agenda" worth saving.

From a libertarian (uncapitalized, please) viewpoint, "globalism" means little more than the abolition of tariffs and similar artificial barriers to trade between nation-states. It has nothing to do with the supposed suppression of a nation's (and remember -- not all nations are nation-states; consider Scotland and Wales) identity and culture

Quote:
The supposed "sacrifice of the middle class" is mostly just a talking point for labor unions -- which have been losing ground for decades, save in the public sector, where they have a government-enforced near-monopoly to back them up.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-03-2021 at 09:33 AM..

Old 06-03-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Funny -- to me "globalism" is the only part of the supposed "neocon agenda" worth saving.

From a libertarian(uncapitalized, please) viewpoint, "globalism" means little more than the abolition of tariffs and similar artificial barriers to trade between nation-states. It has nothing to do with the supposed suppression of a nation's (and remember -- not all nations are nation-states; consider Scotland and Wales) identity and culture.
If you asked me if 'globalism' was a good idea thirty years ago, based solely on that definition, I might have said 'sure.' But in practice, it has caused a lot of damage.

In practice, when talking about Neo-con philosophy, it also coincides with endless wars creating a never-ending stream of desperate individuals migrating all over the place. Cheap labor galore. There comes a time when the risks outweigh the benefits, and I think we're seeing that globalism fails for most people.

Capitalism and globalism aren't the same thing. I still believe in capitalism.

Last edited by kmom2; 06-03-2021 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies