Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 11:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

As I have said -- my best friends are conservatives. If, as described by many of you -- I'm one of those horrible liberals who attack and try to preach my views, how can I keep these deeply conservative friends.

We don't have extensive political discussions but we have been known to make a comment and have an exchange of ideas but they are the kind of people, comfortable in their beliefs, with good hearts who don't ever hurl sweeping insults at liberals or people who may have different opinions on policies or events...and likewise I respect them and their hearts and treasure their friendships.

It does seem, a few on this board have had horrible experiences and it seems to be the same people over and over. I don't understand it. It is not something I have seen in day to day life and I travel in circles with liberals and conservatives.

I feel bad and I guess I am starting to understand the level of anger, frustration and hate some of you project given that

Old 06-08-2021, 11:19 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As I have said -- my best friends are conservatives. If, as described by many of you -- I'm one of those horrible liberals who attack and try to preach my views, how can I keep these deeply conservative friends.

We don't have extensive political discussions but we have been known to make a comment and have an exchange of ideas but they are the kind of people, comfortable in their beliefs, with good hearts who don't ever hurl sweeping insults at liberals or people who may have different opinions on policies or events...and likewise I respect them and their hearts and treasure their friendships.

It does seem, a few on this board have had horrible experiences and it seems to be the same people over and over. I don't understand it. It is not something I have seen in day to day life and I travel in circles with liberals and conservatives.

I feel bad and I guess I am starting to understand the level of anger, frustration and hate some of you project given that
Friends and coworkers/strangers are totally different. I am pretty sure many conservatives here have great liberal friends. I have a lot, but I know them and they know me.

In all fairness, I don't think it is the liberals who are trouble makers, it is the individuals who habitually indulge in self-victimisation, and these people most likely vote democrats and call themselves liberals. You can say they are not true liberals, and I wouldn't disagree.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:33 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I am still active on FB but got my first 2 timeouts over the past month. The millennial “moderators” are getting more aggressive in squelching opinions they disagree with.
Oh yeah? Because the majority of my FB friends are liberals & there are more than a few that have had time outs. Why? Most likely because a con reported their post. Same as here.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:36 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
No, Even though I am a moderate conservative, I feel that I can speak freely about my conservative views* ONLY to my husband. My neighbors are all liberals and so are the members of my family, and I don't want to risk offending them (or anyone I know, actually).

*I actually am quite liberal on many social issues, but I tend to support law enforcement instead of criminals, I am completely against "welfare" for adults who CAN work and any freebies or benefits for adults who aren't U.S. citizens, and I am against illegal immigration. (I think that the pathway to making immigrants U.S. citizens should be much easier, however). I also don't believe in Critical Race Theory, and I think MOST lives matter. (I would say all lives matter, but I draw the line at repeat felons and child torturers.) I hate schools teaching anything about sexuality of any kind to children under the age of nine, and I am very much against putting the wants of transgendered people above the wants and rights of the majority of people. Finally, I detest Biden/Harris (just as I did Trump,, btw)! I also firmly believe in the First Amendment, and I refuse to modify my way of speaking when it comes to pronouns. I also no longer support quotas or Affirmative Action, even though I did support these until fairly recently. On every other social issue I can think of, I side with the liberal viewpoint.
I agree with all your views except for an easier path to citizenship. I do not want a larger population because I believe we have too many people here already.

I have acceptance in the liberal community because I want humans to be better stewards of our planet. We donate to several preservation charities and try to make as little impact as possible on the earth.

I feel I can speak here on CD about my beliefs as there are many who think in the same vein. For example, I am outspoken on illegal immigration and there are many who support that stance on CD. There are several who disagree with me who essentially troll so I have them blocked but others who disagree I may read what they have to say.

However, we have a home-based business so I need to be neutral. There are a few like minded patrons and we have some great discussions but for the most part I tell people I don’t discuss politics. One of my favorite couples who frequent our business was incredulous when I told them I wasn’t voting for either Presidential candidate. According to them, I had to vote for Biden!

Last edited by xPlorer48; 06-08-2021 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-08-2021, 12:17 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
I find it a breath of fresh air compared to other forums. Liberals when they are put in position of being a moderator will always at all costs push a narrative. Normally they will use a list of sources that they pick and only those can be used. It doesn’t matter if what you have a link for is 100% true.

They often times use tactics such as saying you didn’t provide a link or source when it is simply your opinion. I find CD to be more conservative and it has a load of right wing nut jobs It also has the far left SJW. Both seem to be allowed to say their piece even if one side is larger than the other. This type of equilibrium doesn’t normally exist on other forums.

I actually like being the devils advocate and don’t mind being the minority opinion but these days a minority opinion isn’t welcome at many places.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:28 PM

37 posts, read 31,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No, we cannot speak freely. If we express an opinion that deviates even slightly from the liberal narrative, we risk being shunned, ridiculed, doxxed, losing jobs, losing out on promotions, and so forth. It’s what communism feels like: parrot the official state line or risks the consequences.
Sadly, this is so true. We cannot have a robust debate about anything of substance because we cannot express our thoughts freely. Part of my family is from the former Soviet block where my godmother watched her father be executed in front of her eyes during the early years of WW2. My Opa became a political prisoner and had tattooed numbers on his forearm. My mother's home was bombed flat, her father was killed, and the rest of her family fled into the countryside. They starved, and because of that, 2 of her brothers and her mother died. I grew up learning about this devastation, and I've seen what this can do to the psyche of those who suffered intense brutality.

For the genius,hothulamaui, who has no idea what this is about, do yourself a favor and read 'The Communist Manifesto' by Karl Marx. It's about $2.00 on Amazon. See if you can identify the strategies currently being used to silence entire groups of people in the United States of America. Also, familiarize yourself with the Frankfurt School and the Kalergi Plan. Wikipedia follows the 'allowed' narrative, but the documents are available for free on the internet. Rest assured, comrade, that if Communism takes a firmer root in the US, no doubt that everyone, yourself included, will be censored. Unfortunately, by then, it will be too late.

We must fight this evil to preserve our Republic. It might feel overwhelming, but this is the time to become engaged in local politics through school boards, city councils, and other local entities. Find each other and form a coalition of like-minded people who can group to make change happen. There are so many more of us than we imagine because people are nervous right now! I am from the belly of the beast, SF, CA, and there is momentum, even there.

Don't lose heart! We are winning and just because the MSM does its best to hide all that is happening in our country and the world, know that the national populist movement is sweeping through and that we are genuinely 'woke,' not the brain-dead 'approved' propagandized talking points 'woke.'

Last edited by jcoxwell; 06-08-2021 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-08-2021, 12:41 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoxwell View Post
Sadly, this is so true. We cannot have a robust debate about anything of substance because we cannot express our thoughts freely. Part of my family is from the former Soviet block where my godmother watched her father be executed in front of her eyes during the early years of WW2. My Opa became a political prisoner and had tattooed numbers on his forearm. My mother's home was bombed flat, her father was killed, and the rest of her family fled into the countryside. They starved, and because of that, 2 of her brothers and her mother died. I grew up learning about this devastation, and I've seen what this can do to the psyche of those who suffered intense brutality.

For the genius,hothulamaui, who has no idea what this is about, do yourself a favor and read 'The Communist Manifesto' by Karl Marx. It's about $2.00 on Amazon. See if you can identify the strategies currently being used to silence entire groups of people in the United States of America. Also, rest assured that if Communism takes a firmer root in the US, no doubt that everyone, yourself included, will be censored. Unfortunately, by then, it will be too late.

We must fight this evil to preserve our Republic. It might feel overwhelming, but this is the time to become engaged in local politics through school boards, city councils, and other local entities. Find each other and form a coalition of like-minded people who can group to make change happen. There are so many more of us than we imagine because people are nervous right now! I am from the belly of the beast, SF, CA, and there is momentum, even there.

Don't lose heart! We are winning and just because the MSM does its best to hide all that is happening in our country and the world, know that the national populist movement is sweeping through and that we are genuinely 'woke,' not the brain-dead 'approved' propagandized talking points 'woke.'
Welcome, new member, and great post.

I try not to lose heart, but I honestly wonder....how can you say we are winning? I see the anti-white racist agenda brainwashing our children, the liberals throwing open the welcome mat for millions of illegal aliens with promises of taxpayer benefits, and Democrats handing out money that disincentivizes people from accepting jobs.

My hope is that by the time the midterms roll around, normal Americans will be fed up with the anti-American “woke” rhetoric and actions, and we will sweep both the House and Senate. Then we can effectively neutralize Harris, and prevent her from pushing her Marxist designs further.

P.S. My sympathies for what your family went through in WW2. As a Jew, I too have a very tragic family history.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Conservatives: Do you self censor in places other than CD? Is free speech gone, like Trump just said? I know I do. I live in bat **** crazy Liberal Land. The people here are nuts. Conservatives are guarded. We used to think we were the only ones but now we put out feelers and connect with each other.

Can you and do you say anything you want outside of CD? Especially interested if you live in a liberal area like I do. We KNOW it's safe to talk in Florida.
Depends on the topic. If the topic is about race and or illegal immigrants, or voting Trump, forget about it.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:05 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Most educated conservatives, and most educated "liberals" can cite a written source for their beliefs and core values; most Trumpsters? sometimes, but not so much. And until recently, the battle for the "intellectual high ground" was left to the more articulate of both sides. But, it was generally recognized that the Left had both larger numbers, and a louder, rowdier side, which both the High Left and High Right agreed to ignore.

Donald Trump stepped away from that "gentleman's agreement", pulling in many less-articulate voters, thereby countering much of the Democrats' grand strategy of enfranchising anything and everything short of a ham sandwich. And that is the real reason behind the blind hatred in the Democratic camp.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Most educated conservatives, and most educated "liberals" can cite a written source for their beliefs and core values; most Trumpsters? sometimes, but not so much. And until recently, the battle for the "intellectual high ground" was left to the more articulate of both sides. But, it was generally recognized that the Left had both larger numbers, and a louder, rowdier side, which both the High Left and High Right agreed to ignore.

Donald Trump stepped away from that "gentlemans' agreement", pulling in many less-articulate voters, thereby countering much of the Democrats' grand strategy of enfranchising anything and everything short of a ham sandwich. And that is the real reason behind the blind hatred in the Democratic camp.
well, Almost all Americans want what is best for the country and the people living in the country. That goes for Trump supporters, Sanders supporters, Obama supporters and Clinton supporters.

But different Americans have different expectations of the role of the government in their and other’s lives.

Different idea of the balance between state and local governments and the federal government.
How the US Constitution should be enforced.
How to best have the government provide for the common good.
How the government can best help people and educate the masses.

Just because you might disagree with someone about any or all of these points, does not make them wrong, or uneducated. It simply means they have a different concept of what the size and scope of the government should be.

Many educated people voted for Trump believe it or not.

add: The US presidential election only has two candidates to vote for (essentially) - the Democratic and the Republican candidate. Third party cannot win. Chances that either of those candidates accurately encompasses your beliefs and values are slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.