Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 01:28 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Your delusion is that you think that there IS a "stereotypical Trump supporter".

75 million of them apparently.

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner

I rarely agree with youngturks, but even youngturks said it was a losing strategy to constantly demonize Trump supporters or Trump voters.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:33 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Oh stop already. Conservatives and Liberals can have conversations anywhere. Trumpists, not conservatives, are free to speak too. They scream angry messages everywhere. They push their cancel culture, they storm our capital, they scream at every normal person out there.

I fear much more expressing my thoughts of equality and fairness. With Trumpist running around, pushing political opponents bus off the road, storming the capital and threatening anyone who disagrees.

This GASLIGHTING of your side is getting rediculous. You guys are turning into the "I'm rubber, you're glue" party. It's downright ugly.

Not talking to conservatives. Most of them are hard-working, open minded Americans. I'm talking specifically of the Trumpists and other anti-Freedom folks....
True .

Free speech has not been hindered. It's actually become 'how unfiltered and disrespectful can I be' mantra I find in this over view.

Something's are best left for the person with more latitude to all sides. Call it balanced thinking before speaking.

I find it the hypocrite who finds flaws so clearly in another's viewpoint but cannot acknowledge it as a glaring flaw upon their being. The statement 'not All trump loyalist follow xyz' but boy the other day a liberal was so offensive to me. That's the apex of a hypocrite. Makes exception for their own clan yet with one swell swoop bashes a particular entity for an opinion that may or may not have been conveyed diplomatically.

I choose not to engage in some conversations . My freedom of speech isn't jeopardized. It's a choice to not fan the fire.

Close mouth. Open ears. That is freedom to .

Old 06-08-2021, 01:55 PM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No, we cannot speak freely. If we express an opinion that deviates even slightly from the liberal narrative, we risk being shunned, ridiculed, doxxed, losing jobs, losing out on promotions, and so forth. It’s what communism feels like: parrot the official state line, or risk the consequences.
It’s because over the last 30 years conservatives allowed democrats to take control of EVERYTHING.
They control our complete education system, most of our justice system, our media, our entertainment industry, the IRS, our intelligence agencies, social media and now apparently even the military....

Last edited by mountainrose; 06-08-2021 at 02:30 PM..

Old 06-08-2021, 02:29 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As I have said -- my best friends are conservatives. If, as described by many of you -- I'm one of those horrible liberals who attack and try to preach my views, how can I keep these deeply conservative friends.

We don't have extensive political discussions but we have been known to make a comment and have an exchange of ideas but they are the kind of people, comfortable in their beliefs, with good hearts who don't ever hurl sweeping insults at liberals or people who may have different opinions on policies or events...and likewise I respect them and their hearts and treasure their friendships.

It does seem, a few on this board have had horrible experiences and it seems to be the same people over and over. I don't understand it. It is not something I have seen in day to day life and I travel in circles with liberals and conservatives.

I feel bad and I guess I am starting to understand the level of anger, frustration and hate some of you project given that
That's just it. WE are not the ones projecting the hate.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:33 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoxwell View Post
Sadly, this is so true. We cannot have a robust debate about anything of substance because we cannot express our thoughts freely. Part of my family is from the former Soviet block where my godmother watched her father be executed in front of her eyes during the early years of WW2. My Opa became a political prisoner and had tattooed numbers on his forearm. My mother's home was bombed flat, her father was killed, and the rest of her family fled into the countryside. They starved, and because of that, 2 of her brothers and her mother died. I grew up learning about this devastation, and I've seen what this can do to the psyche of those who suffered intense brutality.

For the genius,hothulamaui, who has no idea what this is about, do yourself a favor and read 'The Communist Manifesto' by Karl Marx. It's about $2.00 on Amazon. See if you can identify the strategies currently being used to silence entire groups of people in the United States of America. Also, familiarize yourself with the Frankfurt School and the Kalergi Plan. Wikipedia follows the 'allowed' narrative, but the documents are available for free on the internet. Rest assured, comrade, that if Communism takes a firmer root in the US, no doubt that everyone, yourself included, will be censored. Unfortunately, by then, it will be too late.

We must fight this evil to preserve our Republic. It might feel overwhelming, but this is the time to become engaged in local politics through school boards, city councils, and other local entities. Find each other and form a coalition of like-minded people who can group to make change happen. There are so many more of us than we imagine because people are nervous right now! I am from the belly of the beast, SF, CA, and there is momentum, even there.

Don't lose heart! We are winning and just because the MSM does its best to hide all that is happening in our country and the world, know that the national populist movement is sweeping through and that we are genuinely 'woke,' not the brain-dead 'approved' propagandized talking points 'woke.'
Awesome post. I am sorry for your what your family has endured. Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:37 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
I'm very sympathetic to libertarian philosophy.

But having said that, purist libertarianism just isn't workable in the real world.

Left and Right leaning libertarians fight amongst themselves as much as Dems and Republicans do.

My opinion is until the party gives up on some of it's more extremist views such an open borders and limp wristed foreign policy, they will never be taken seriously enough by mainstream Americans to get off the ground.
Same here. Agree with the bold. I can't say I am 100% Libertarian, but I am definitely libertarian leaning conservative.

I read your post twice, I have to say that I agree with your every word. Well said.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, Almost all Americans want what is best for the country and the people living in the country. That goes for Trump supporters, Sanders supporters, Obama supporters and Clinton supporters.

But different Americans have different expectations of the role of the government in their and other’s lives.

Different idea of the balance between state and local governments and the federal government.
How the US Constitution should be enforced.
How to best have the government provide for the common good.
How the government can best help people and educate the masses.

Just because you might disagree with someone about any or all of these points, does not make them wrong, or uneducated. It simply means they have a different concept of what the size and scope of the government should be.

Many educated people voted for Trump believe it or not.

add: The US presidential election only has two candidates to vote for (essentially) - the Democratic and the Republican candidate. Third party cannot win. Chances that either of those candidates accurately encompasses your beliefs and values are slim.
Except for half of the country (democrats) wants to use the government and force everybody to make the country better at gunpoint.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:17 PM

22,481 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Depends on how you define liberal

To me, the Founders were "Liberal" but the definition has changed a lot since then.

In my day, Liberals cared about free speech, the rights of the individual vs the "good of the collective".

Even as recently as Bill Clinton's term, Liberal has changed it's definition so much that now they are hard to distinguish from the authoritarian, fascists they used to rail against.
^^^^This 100%

The irony is that today's democrats/liberals are totally unaware of the fact that today's democrats are not their grandfather's or father's democrats.

It's actually somewhat amusing when some posters claim that they aren't democrats/liberals when their posts say otherwise.

Bubba was the last democrat who knew what democrats stood for. Thus, I voted for him twice. He actually was against illegal immigration and had built the wall on the San Diego/Tijuana border. That wall cut down drastically on crime and illegal crossings.

He also formed the Jordan Commission whose job was to come up with ways to stop illegal immigration. They came up with some great ideas. I was dismayed to see the democrats in congress and the senate totally ignored all the ideas. At that point, it was painfully obvious that democrats no longer looked out for the poor, working and middle classes. Instead, they now put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of underemployed and unemployed suffering Americans.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I forgot, what it means to not be afraid to say something. Even with my sons, I have to bite my tongue all the time.
I had superbly more freedom of speech back in the USSR, than I have here and now. Sadly so.
i second this...

Old 06-08-2021, 04:52 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
We are certainly not free to speak. Because of the job security that I have, I don't give a damn about expressing my views (at least out of fear of retaliation). I choose to not engage in politics on my social media these days as I don't have the patience to deal with the threats and other verbal assaults that will come from racist leftists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies