Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 06:04 PM

10,036 posts, read 5,746,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Nice spinning, but this time it is because some people's tax information was leaked.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/08/inves...ion/index.html
Your link gives exactly zero analysis of the returns. I'd have gained just as much insight reading a potato salad recipe.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:04 PM

33,333 posts, read 12,645,784 times
Quote:
First of all, there is never class envy from me. You made it up.
Yes, there is.

Else you wouldn’t have started the thread.

Quote:
Secondly, we are talking about "rate" not absolute values.

It's interesting you consider yourself rich though. I suppose you live in the Midwest where your wage can get you a long way?
Which is how it should have been put initially in the OP, but it wasn’t. (If the link is wrong, then that should have been mentioned in the text).

Old 06-08-2021, 06:05 PM

18,473 posts, read 7,127,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So you don't care about a fair tax system, what anyone else pays is irrelevant.

So if your tax rate was say 30% you wouldn't care that Bezos is paid less than you with all his wealth.

I don't buy that for one minute.

Fair is everyone paying the same rate.

Not taxing some people at a higher rate than others.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:10 PM

18,473 posts, read 7,127,687 times
Quote:
I belong to the middle class. I want to see rich people have a higher tax rate than 15.8%.

Why?

Are you actually so naive that you really think that if Jeff Bezos pays more that you'll have to pay less?

ROFLMAO.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:12 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,785,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Oh well. I couldn't care less. Actually, these people should be charged exactly the cost of the services they are provided from the government. I'm pretty sure that would be far, far less than they pay now.
You mean, they are less dependent on highways, police, and military forces?

Old 06-08-2021, 06:13 PM

33,333 posts, read 12,645,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ummm...no.

Just because that's the way Dems want to tax people doesn't mean that's how it works.

Adjust your budget downward instead of rubber-stamp increasing it every year to pay for illegal aliens and sending pallet fulls of cash to countries that hate us.

And don't even pretend for one second that if you raise Jeff Bezos's taxes that you'll lower mine.

I'm not in the market for bridges or swampland.

Quote:
Why?

Are you actually so naive that you really think that if Jeff Bezos pays more that you'll have to pay less?

ROFLMAO.
Given a budget, if higher income people pay more, then lower income people pay less. Yes.

26,038 posts, read 19,028,518 times
Quote:
Fair is everyone paying the same rate.
I don't even agree with this. No "rate" at all. Each person should pay the cost of whatever he or she is provided personally by the government. What that would mean is that the basic services like military protection and a few other things we all "use" would be the base "tax" that all citizens pay. Beyond that, if you use a bunch of government services, YOU pay for them. Not anyone else. YOU pay for the additional services rendered to you.

But then, I see the concept of "tax" as a "fee for service rendered." No more. No less. In this model, the charge for most all the BS that we pay for and never see a dime back would go bye bye. And nearly every Santa Claus program would go away. Inefficient, expensive government programs would be replaced by far more efficient free market services.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yes, there is.

Else you wouldn’t have started the thread.
NO there isn't. Stop reading my mind and speaking for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Which is how it should have been put initially in the OP, but it wasn’t. (If the link is wrong, then that should have been mentioned in the text).
What are you talking about? the title says 15.8%.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't even agree with this. No "rate" at all. Each person should pay the cost of whatever he or she is provided personally by the government. What that would mean is that the basic services like military protection and a few other things we all "use" would be the base "tax" that all citizens pay. Beyond that, if you use a bunch of government services, YOU pay for them. Not anyone else. YOU pay for the additional services rendered to you.

But then, I see the concept of "tax" as a "fee for service rendered." No more. No less. In this model, the charge for most all the BS that we pay for and never see a dime back would go bye bye. And nearly every Santa Claus program would go away. Inefficient, expensive government programs would be replaced by far more efficient free market services.
It is more complicated than that.
You may think Bezos does not need more police protection than we do. However, if there is no police, Amazon will be looted every day, which certainly has an impact on his wealth. Not to mention the legal system in the US guaranteed the prosperity of such corporations.

Many Amazon employees received education in public schools. If there is no government funding, it would be difficult to find properly educated workers.

All countries make rich people pay more (in theory) for good reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.