Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 07:48 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,458,125 times

Advertisements

I hear this from republicans/conservatives all the time, but there is never a substantive answer as to why.

Even without a degree in business, it is common sense that Big fish eat little fish.

The bigger company, without restraints, will have access to better suppliers, better prices, better lawyers, and will beat out the competition.

Yeah their are specific industries (in their infancy) like aerospace (space travel), microchips, and a few others that do better with small firms, but that is because of how fast moving those industries are.

Most of the economy is stagnant or slow moving, there is no genius invention around the corner ready to throw a wrench into the competition.

So why, not including government intervention/regulations, would less regulation lead to more competition?

And btw I am not saying competition is good, I think this country fetishizes competition, but that is besides the point.

So why do you as a republican believe this if it goes against all common sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 08:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,898,086 times
Airline deregulation has resulted in far lower prices for customers. Adjust for inflation and the NYC-Paris round trip economy ticket in 1960 was about $5000. Pre-covid you could find that route for $600-$800 in economy and $2500 in business class with lie flat sleeper seats.

Telecom and the break up of Ma Bell. Back in the day, long distance calls were so expensive you only called Grandma in Miami on her birthday, Christmas, and mother's Day. Now you can get unlimited nationwide phone calls with your cell service for like $30/month. Back of the envelope, that's about $5-6 in 1970 dollars which is what that single call to grandma in Miami would run back in the day.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:06 PM

4,683 posts, read 1,969,696 times
your premiss is wrong from the start. History is filled with mega corps being taking down by new competitors in the market. And this happens more then just to the few industries you mentioned. For instance one of my first jobs was Kmart. I worked for them for a number of years and i worked with people who had worked for them for decades. I remember when Walmart first opened in our town, a few managers were worried because they had overtaken kmart in a number of ikeymarkets but still most employees thought it was a joke. Nowdays there are a heck of a lot of walmarts there and only one sad kmart. Why is Amazon so dominating, Sears had that type of model set up over one hundred years ago yet sears is gone. They had all the advantages you mentioned but just didn't take it online using their existing mail order system. Heck people used to buy houses from Sears catalogues. The internet of a century ago.

Mega Corps become lazy, start to fall behind on the times and often new vibrant companies come into the market who innovate in a way these giants cannot. To much regulation keeps these small companies from forming. Without these small vibrant startups not only would there often be no competition, leading to higher prices, they also serve to keep the Mega Corps on their toes.

Last edited by remco67; 06-12-2021 at 08:23 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 08:08 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,438,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I hear this from republicans/conservatives all the time, but there is never a substantive answer as to why.

Even without a degree in business, it is common sense that Big fish eat little fish.

The bigger company, without restraints, will have access to better suppliers, better prices, better lawyers, and will beat out the competition.

Yeah their are specific industries (in their infancy) like aerospace (space travel), microchips, and a few others that do better with small firms, but that is because of how fast moving those industries are.

Most of the economy is stagnant or slow moving, there is no genius invention around the corner ready to throw a wrench into the competition.

So why, not including government intervention/regulations, would less regulation lead to more competition?

And btw I am not saying competition is good, I think this country fetishizes competition, but that is besides the point.

So why do you as a republican believe this if it goes against all common sense?

Simple...regulations apply to those unable to obtain an exemption to the regulation, i.e., the little guy.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Airline deregulation has resulted in far lower prices for customers. Adjust for inflation and the NYC-Paris round trip economy ticket in 1960 was about $5000. Pre-covid you could find that route for $600-$800 in economy and $2500 in business class with lie flat sleeper seats.

Telecom and the break up of Ma Bell. Back in the day, long distance calls were so expensive you only called Grandma in Miami on her birthday, Christmas, and mother's Day. Now you can get unlimited nationwide phone calls with your cell service for like $30/month. Back of the envelope, that's about $5-6 in 1970 dollars which is what that single call to grandma in Miami would run back in the day.
That is not what I asked.

I asked why would it lead to more COMPETITION (meaning more smaller companies). Not about cheaper prices.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
your premiss is wrong from the start. History is filled with mega corps being taking down by new competitors in the market. And this happens more then just to the few industries you mentioned. For instance one of my first jobs was Kmart. I worked for them for a number of years and i worked with people who had worked for them for decades. I remember when Walmart first opened in our town, a few managers were worried because they had overtaken kmart in a number of ikeymarkets but still most employees thought it was a joke. Nowdays there are a heck of a lot of walmarts there and only one sad kmart. Why is Amazon so dominating, Sears had that type of model set up over one hundred years ago yet sears is gone. They had all the advantages you mentioned but just didn't take it online using their existing mail order system. Heck people used to buy houses from Sears catalogues. The internet of a century ago.

Mega Corps become lazy, start to fall behind on the times and often new vibrant companies come into the market who innovate in a way these giants cannot. To much regulation keeps these small companies from forming. Without these small vibrant startups not only would there often be no competition, lowering prices, they also serve to keep the Mega Corps on their toes.
That is a David and goliath story.

It does not happen often enough to constitute competition.

Empire grew old and were beaten by upstarts all the time. That is not competition, that is one a new giant replacing the old giant. Like the Byzantine declined and were replaced by the Ottomans.

How does deregulation lead to smaller companies competing more?

Old 06-12-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Simple...regulations apply to those unable to obtain an exemption to the regulation, i.e., the little guy.
That is a blanket statement, not all regulation is the same.

Would you be for regulation that only targets big companies?

Old 06-12-2021, 08:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,019,310 times
Competition among owners/speculators is good because it puts downward pressure on prices they charge customers, and upward pressure on wages of the people they higher

What exactly is deregulation? YOu need to be more specific.

Less competition among owners/speculators means oligarchy going into monopoly.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Competition among owners/speculators is good because it puts downward pressure on prices they charge customers, and upward pressure on wages of the people they higher

What exactly is deregulation? YOu need to be more specific.

Less competition among owners/speculators means oligarchy going into monopoly.
Republicans are the ones who are blanketly against regulation.

"GOVERNMENT STAY OUT OF BUSINESS" they scream.

So I ask, by what logic does deregulation lead to more competition? Please answer this question.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,698,466 times
The lack of costly and prohibitive regulations in the legal Oklahoma medical marijuana program. So you can end you with around 3 dozen medical marijuana dispensaries in a town of 50,000. That's a lot of competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies