Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 11:22 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
No, nothing convinced me of anything.

First people said regulations equal red tape. That is not what I asked. Not all regulation is red tape.

I asked why deregulation leads to more competition. And no one can give a single reason.
I have given a accurate concise answer in the most simplest of ways to your question. If my answer is not satisfying, either you’re improperly wording your question or there is no satisfying answer to your question. Conservatives are not against regulations. An unfettered capitalist system would be dangerous to an economy. Conservatives also aren’t against government. We believe in a limited government with a limited role. This limited role provides rules, laws, and regulations for a free market to thrive. As conservatives, we believe in the rule of law and a civil society and in order for there to be a civil society, there must be rules, laws, and regulations. It’s when government overreaches in those responsibilities and causes the free market to be stymied. So, if this doesn’t answer your question, possibly you can help us out. Can you provide an answer as to why over-regulation promotes competition? Maybe by you answering that question could help us better understand exactly where you are coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 12:10 PM

4,206 posts, read 2,522,553 times
There was a time when democrats welcomed deregulation. Deregulation helps avoid complexity, avoid choosing sides in business competition and avoids balancing the interests of competitors. By the government stepping aside, competition is encouraged. Under Carter, the telecommunication industry, banking and transpiration industries were all deregulated. Its hard to image, but when Carter took office, the phone company was a monopoly, you could not even own your own phone, you leased it. There was no choice of providers.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:28 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,377,233 times
Quote:
It is against common sense. Regulation that has safety and environmental standards means higher quality.

There are different types of regulations, the aforementioned and regulation that targets large companies.

Because again, the big fish will always eat the little fish.
Wrong.

Henry Ford was the smallest of fish when he was ousted from Cadillac. The other companies did everything in their power to shut him out and he won.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:33 PM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
There was a time when democrats welcomed deregulation. Deregulation helps avoid complexity, avoid choosing sides in business competition and avoids balancing the interests of competitors. By the government stepping aside, competition is encouraged. Under Carter, the telecommunication industry, banking and transpiration industries were all deregulated. Its hard to image, but when Carter took office, the phone company was a monopoly, you could not even own your own phone, you leased it. There was no choice of providers.
Because Dems used to be for the working man...Joe Main Street.
But the Dems found the corporations with their lobbyists...campaign contributions and cushy jobs after they leave office was just too good to pass up.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:38 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,313,528 times
Quote:
I hear this from republicans/conservatives all the time, but there is never a substantive answer as to why.

Even without a degree in business, it is common sense that Big fish eat little fish.

The bigger company, without restraints, will have access to better suppliers, better prices, better lawyers, and will beat out the competition.

Yeah their are specific industries (in their infancy) like aerospace (space travel), microchips, and a few others that do better with small firms, but that is because of how fast moving those industries are.

Most of the economy is stagnant or slow moving, there is no genius invention around the corner ready to throw a wrench into the competition.

So why, not including government intervention/regulations, would less regulation lead to more competition?

And btw I am not saying competition is good, I think this country fetishizes competition, but that is besides the point.

So why do you as a republican believe this if it goes against all common sense?
If I had a nickel for every time I saw someone start a thread this way, I could retire.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
That is not what I asked.

I asked why would it lead to more COMPETITION (meaning more smaller companies). Not about cheaper prices.
barriers to entry, chiefly unnecessary levels of licensure and other costs that are "required" before you open and on an ongoing basis. Look at all the personal services.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Republicans are the ones who are blanketly against regulation.

"GOVERNMENT STAY OUT OF BUSINESS" they scream.

So I ask, by what logic does deregulation lead to more competition? Please answer this question.
no they aren't, so it's hard to apply any logic to the rest.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
No, nothing convinced me of anything.

First people said regulations equal red tape. That is not what I asked. Not all regulation is red tape.

I asked why deregulation leads to more competition. And no one can give a single reason.
multiple people have told you how (a reason).

Old 06-14-2021, 02:06 PM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
barriers to entry, chiefly unnecessary levels of licensure and other costs that are "required" before you open and on an ongoing basis. Look at all the personal services.
A good number of barriers exist that hurt entrepreneurs which the big boys can easily afford.

The US ranks 55 among countries for ease of starting a business.
https://www.doingbusiness.org/en/rankings

Another study on barriers that are preventing new business startups.
https://www.cato.org/policy-analysis...new-businesses

Old 06-14-2021, 02:22 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Less regulation lead to more competition.

Just look at Cable TV and Internet. It is costly. For those area where Cable serve, it usually has no competition. It is a regulated monopoly. There is no little guy because the regulation make it too costly for the little guy to enter.
You're moving in the right direction. I worked for the AT&T/Bell System at the time it was deregulated. Deregulation definitely made sense. Look at the differences in the telecommunications industry since 1982. All of the change has not been solely to the breakup of AT&T, much has also been to advances in technology, but I don't think it would've happened as quickly if AT&T has not been deregulated and broken up.

While I believe that example of deregulation was positive, I believe the government also has to enforce antitrust laws. I live in an area where my only choice for broadband internet service is Comcast. I am just outside Verizon's service area for their Fios service. We have very little competition for broadband internet in the U.S. and the result is lower speeds and higher costs than most modern industrialized countries. Here is a link to a comparison to the OECD (33 of the world's richest industrial countries): https://www.broadbandsearch.net/blog...t-navigation-2 The U.S. has the second highest cost of these 33 countries.

Banking and the airline industry are other examples where it appears too much consolidation has taken place. There have been very few times the federal government has stepped in and halted a merger or acquisition due to antitrust laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies