Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 07:15 AM

8,885 posts, read 4,618,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
No.

That is one giant replacing another.

Like Rome replacing Carthage, the Ottomans replacing the Byzantine, Britain replacing Spain.

That is not competition, that is evolution. Competition would be like having minor feudal states all warring against each other with no real balance of power.
Yes

You a wrong again, and are confusing what you think is common sense with ignorance. The big 5 techs are all examples of new, small start ups that out smarted their small and large rivals thru competition. It is clear that you have no idea of what competition really is.

We can explain it to you but we can't understand it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 07:23 AM

37,961 posts, read 17,937,425 times
Quote:
It is common sense, the housing market is entirely different because it is a public good (shelter).
lol Try harder. A public good? That doesn't matter. I proved you wrong so now you move the goal posts.

Quote:
The example you used is actual deregulatory in spirit because more people are included into the commercial lending market and need play by the same rules.
The example I used is the exact opposite of deregulation which I correctly pointed out. Playing by the same rules has nothing to do with it. It was regulation period. Quit making things up.

Quote:
Now tell me why deregulation leads to more competition? When industries were deregulated they consolidated.
Industries consolidate when there is regulation. I've already answered your question which you refuse to address.

Now show proof that there is more competition with regulation especially when there are less players involved in the game.

Quote:
Forget about the problems with bad regulations, tell me why a completely free market will lead to a healthy ecosphere of small companies if large companies can destroy them with impunity.
Nope. Quit deflecting and quit moving the goal posts. Show proof regulation is better for competition. Actual proof. Maybe some studies. And please don't quote the ones who never saw the biggest collapse since the Great Depression coming.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:01 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,326,649 times
I see deregulation from over regulation as good. No regulation is bad. There should be a healthy balance of regulation to prevent companies and corporations merging together steamrolling over smaller businesses and companies. These kind of monopolies stomp out competition. As a conservative I embrace a limited amount of regulations to keep the playing field fair for all players. That’s the purpose of regulations. Regulations should be used to foster competition, not stymie it. The purpose of regulations is to ensure order and fairness. When regulation overreaches to a point when winners and losers are picked, we enter the realm of corporatism, not free market. That is where we are today in the United States. We are not a regulated free market system that our Founders had envisioned, but rather a corporatist economic system where our government uses their power to stomp out the competition of companies who fund their campaigns. That’s the job of lobbyists. Microsoft for example never needed lobbyists until the government started going after them. Once Microsoft began hiring lobbyists and lawyers making promises to government officials, the attacks stopped.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:03 AM

43,437 posts, read 18,540,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I see deregulation from over regulation as good. No regulation is bad. There should be a healthy balance of regulation to prevent companies and corporations merging together steamrolling over smaller businesses and companies. These kind of monopolies stomp out competition. As a conservative I embrace a limited amount of regulations to keep the playing field fair for all players. That’s the purpose of regulations. Regulations should be used to foster competition, not stymie it. The purpose of regulations is to ensure order and fairness. When regulation overreaches to a point when winners and losers are picked, we enter the realm of corporatism, not free market. That is where we are today in the United States. We are not a regulated free market system that our Founders had envisioned, but rather a corporatist economic system where our government uses their power to stomp out the competition of companies who fund their campaigns. That’s the job of lobbyists. Microsoft for example never needed lobbyists until the government started going after them. Once Microsoft began hiring lobbyists and lawyers making promises to government officials, the attacks stopped.
Yup. I remember the browser wars and the OS wars. MS was in the hot seat and then they weren't.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:18 AM

22,687 posts, read 24,697,193 times
Dog-eat-dog, the more players vying for that dollar, the more they will lower-prices to
cut the throat of their competition.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:31 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,449,398 times
Quote:
That is not what I asked.

I asked why would it lead to more COMPETITION (meaning more smaller companies). Not about cheaper prices.
First of all, I would never argue nor do I believe most conservatives would argue for zero regulations. That's just a talking point the Left likes to throw out but isn't true.

To answer your question, it is because removing red tape for starting and owning a business makes it easier to start a competing business.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:41 AM

11,866 posts, read 6,218,388 times
Quote:
It is against common sense. Regulation that has safety and environmental standards means higher quality.

There are different types of regulations, the aforementioned and regulation that targets large companies.

Because again, the big fish will always eat the little fish.

So you didn't really want an answer when you asked us in your initial post. OK.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:14 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,326,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So you didn't really want an answer when you asked us in your initial post. OK.
It appears he doesn’t want answers, but rather is just trolling. He was given numerous direct answers why over regulation is bad for an economy. He believes conservatives stand for no regulations which couldn’t be further from the truth. That would be the same as saying conservatives wouldn’t want there to be laws, yet conservatives are not anarchists. Conservatives believe in the rule of law and a civil society. Conservatives believe in a free market where all participants have a fair shot. These are concepts a Marxist isn’t able to relate to. Government is the answer, not the people.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:53 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,464,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
It appears he doesn’t want answers, but rather is just trolling. He was given numerous direct answers why over regulation is bad for an economy. He believes conservatives stand for no regulations which couldn’t be further from the truth. That would be the same as saying conservatives wouldn’t want there to be laws, yet conservatives are not anarchists. Conservatives believe in the rule of law and a civil society. Conservatives believe in a free market where all participants have a fair shot. These are concepts a Marxist isn’t able to relate to. Government is the answer, not the people.
No, nothing convinced me of anything.

First people said regulations equal red tape. That is not what I asked. Not all regulation is red tape.

I asked why deregulation leads to more competition. And no one can give a single reason.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:04 AM

4,181 posts, read 4,198,577 times
Quote:
I hear this from republicans/conservatives all the time, but there is never a substantive answer as to why.

Even without a degree in business, it is common sense that Big fish eat little fish.

The bigger company, without restraints, will have access to better suppliers, better prices, better lawyers, and will beat out the competition.

Yeah their are specific industries (in their infancy) like aerospace (space travel), microchips, and a few others that do better with small firms, but that is because of how fast moving those industries are.

Most of the economy is stagnant or slow moving, there is no genius invention around the corner ready to throw a wrench into the competition.

So why, not including government intervention/regulations, would less regulation lead to more competition?

And btw I am not saying competition is good, I think this country fetishizes competition, but that is besides the point.

So why do you as a republican believe this if it goes against all common sense?
Less regulation lead to more competition.

Just look at Cable TV and Internet. It is costly. For those area where Cable serve, it usually has no competition. It is a regulated monopoly. There is no little guy because the regulation make it too costly for the little guy to enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies