Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 10:12 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
After Smowmagedon of 2021... Many Texans have become "preppers" in a HUGE way.
Yep. I was ok prior to Snowmagedon but I'm bumping up my game. I always keep two 55 gal water storage drums in the garage plus quite a bit of bottled water. For backup fuel I have 30 gal of gas in cans plus I always keep the cars full and have siphon pumps for transferring gas. I probably have over a month's worth of food. Includes canned goods in the garage, dry goods in the pantry and a chest freezer in the garage. I have portable electric and propane space heaters plus numerous gas bottles Also have a 6KW gas powered inverter generator. What I don't have and will be getting this summer is a new breaker box complete with an outdoor socket for the gas generator to hook into. Will allow me to power selected circuits in the house without running power cords through a window. One thing I learned this year is that I need more gray water for toilet flushing. I didn't want to cut into my drinking water supplies so I ended up harvesting snow melt from the roof and shoveled snow from the driveway. Another lesson was load up on big paint buckets to melt snow in. I'll probably put in a rainwater collection system for the gray water issue.

Loss of power grid has always been the driving motivation for my preparedness. I don't buy into the whole zombies, asteroid strikes or shifting magnetic poles crap. For me it's always been about natural events that take down the power. Boy we got a big lesson in that. Pretty clear now that hacking is a realistic concern too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 10:28 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I find it odd that these doomsday scenarios always seem to consider the US in isolation. Very unrealistic.

An EMP attack on the US by Russia and China would trigger a world war. NATO allies would know that attacks on their countries would likely be next and would take action. Some of these allies have nuclear weapons.

Is this really what Russia and China want?
If Russia/China AND their stooges Iran/NK ect. move against America they would likely neutralize the UK, Australia, Japan and launch offensives on Taiwan, Persian Gulf and Ukraine. If we are knocked out domestically and dealing with multiple fronts...who is left to attack Russia/China?

Old 06-25-2021, 10:31 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
It's really scary. This is the biggest reason people in rural areas have been stocking up on guns and ammunition. It's actually not political or preparing for a civil war as many think. It's more of a reality check that no one is "minding the store" so to speak. [/url]
^^^
This.

Going back to Tx snowmagedon '21. Family of mine has a rural place in one of the hardest hit counties in central Tx. Improperly cleared overhead lines were taken down en masse by ice and falling limbs. They were without power for nearly 3 wks. I was out at their place clearing downed tree branches when an electric company lineman's truck came by. I flagged them down and asked them to check the lines on the property. Talking to the guys about the damage elsewhere in the county and the lineman said "Everybody hears this message about people helping one another through this but that only lasted for a little while. It's gone on for so long that now it's every man for himself. It's the wild west out there." Rural people know this is how it can go. In extreme conditions even neighbors can turn into 'competitors'. Once this happens you need to be able to protect your resources and family.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:36 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I find it odd that these doomsday scenarios always seem to consider the US in isolation. Very unrealistic.

An EMP attack on the US by Russia and China would trigger a world war. NATO allies would know that attacks on their countries would likely be next and would take action. Some of these allies have nuclear weapons.

Is this really what Russia and China want?

Yep. An EMP attack would be a declaration of war, thus essentially igniting WWIII.

Even Russia or China do not want that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2021, 11:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yep. An EMP attack would be a declaration of war, thus essentially igniting WWIII.

Even Russia or China do not want that.
What if Trump(USA), Chi(China), Putin(Russia), and Modi(India)
Were all in, on a worldwide STING?
REKT globalist and bankers, taken out one by one?
Learning every evil in the world, is planned by the CIA, with big money globalist backing it.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:51 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
I think the best remedy is to run a connection across the Bering Straits to Siberia.
Tie together the Asian and American grids - so we can shunt excess nighttime capacity to them, and vice versa.
Then if "someone" attacks the grid, they're hurting themselves.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:31 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What if Trump(USA), Chi(China), Putin(Russia), and Modi(India)
Were all in, on a worldwide STING?
REKT globalist and bankers, taken out one by one?
Learning every evil in the world, is planned by the CIA, with big money globalist backing it.

/sigh
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2021, 01:29 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Will your car even survive an EMP attack? Will it even start? I've heard varying stories. Maybe an old diesel?

Old 06-25-2021, 05:26 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Kitties are pretty resilient during power outages, even in dire heat. I have been without power for days after a hurricane and the cats handled it much better than I did. I would think your sweet old kitty would be fine, as long as she had plenty of water available.
They are a great fresh source of protein should the power stay out too long. You can’t lose having a few cats around.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:47 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
There woujld be a run on live chickens..eggs and fried chicken. good source of protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies