Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2021, 05:11 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,737,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I live in Eastern South Dakota and there is wind, natural gas, hydroelectric, and a big field full of transformers around.

I think we'll be fine. The population density out here is low. We produce 100% of our energy within the state. More wind is getting added at an accelerated rate...within 5-10 years the great plains will be a huge exporter of this wind energy. Finally our state is starting to play catch up after lagging states like IA, MN, and TX for some time.

https://www.saurenergy.com/solar-ene...n-u-s-up-by-40

There is more "clean power capacity" under construction right now that we had installed in the entire country in 2015.... these industries have hit their stride and scaled nicely. Kudos to the progressives for jump starting the industry with the subsidies which allowed them to get to this point.
All that wind is useless without a grid.....And more importantly some base/intermediate load fossil fuel generation to maintain voltage on the grid... Take some lessons............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 05:29 AM

4,541 posts, read 3,764,183 times
The OP is living in FL and is worried about a 5 minute outage? Anyone living in hurricane areas should have supplies for several days at the start of the season. I live in FL now and previously lived in snow areas which had major storms and outages and then in NY where we routinely lost power when the wind blew hard.

We are on well water and bought a generator for that and running a few critical circuits. During Irma we lost power overnight. The homes across the street on a different grid were without power for eight days in September which is still in the height of summer. That grid affected our son who lives two miles away. We were their cooling center.

We have always been stocked up with supplies since a river flooded at our first home decades ago. That was the first and last time we ever ran out of TP. That’s also when we learned we were on our own in an emergency. Information from the local government was hours behind what was really happening. Years later we had a blizzard that shut things down for 3 days. We had an ancient gas furnace that could be turned on manually and we had heat. All of this heightened our awareness of how vulnerable we could be.

In FL we now have solar with battery back up since we have no natural gas access. We can run critical circuits without the grid and the whole house with a generator powering the hybrid inverter. We’ve lived here 9 years and had less power outages than where we grew up and in NY. We have no illusions that we would be okay in a direct hurricane hit or make it through an EMP event. For a ransom attack or an indirect hurricane outage, we could hang on for a while. We have a months worth food in the pantry and even a bucket of MRE’s that will get us through minor events, but for big events we are SOL.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-18-2021 at 05:40 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 05:53 AM

33,582 posts, read 18,193,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The OP is living in FL and is worried about a 5 minute outage? Anyone living in hurricane areas should have supplies for several days at the start of the season. I live in FL now and previously lived in snow areas which had major storms and outages and then in NY where we routinely lost power when the wind blew hard.

We are on well water and bought a generator for that and running a few critical circuits. During Irma we lost power overnight. The homes across the street on a different grid were without power for eight days in September which is still in the height of summer. That grid affected our son who lives two miles away. We were their cooling center.

We have always been stocked up with supplies since a river flooded at our first home decades ago. That was the first and last time we ever ran out of TP. That’s also when we learned we were on our own in an emergency. Information from the local government was hours behind what was really happening. Years later we had a blizzard that shut things down for 3 days. We had an ancient gas furnace that could be turned on manually and we had heat. All of this heightened our awareness of how vulnerable we could be.

In FL we now have solar with battery back up since we have no natural gas access. We can run critical circuits without the grid and the whole house with a generator powering the hybrid inverter. We’ve lived here 9 years and had less power outages than where we grew up and in NY. We have no illusions that we would be okay in a direct hurricane hit or make it through an EMP event. For a ransom attack or an indirect hurricane outage, we could hang on for a while. We have a months worth food in the pantry and even a bucket of MRE’s that will get us through minor events, but for big events we are SOL.

In the 5 minutes i had time to think about a long term outage. Everything went off and I knew as anyone else did we were hit in the pipeline and beef industry. Who would be worried about 5 minutes? I was thankful it came on in 5 minutes.

But we don't know if or when we would be hit. India was hit and they tried to take out their electric... could be practice and China did it. We have no idea the evil that is in this world to destroy. I know you are well prepared and hope we never have a long term power outage.

Our grid has never been hardened which is the word for more protected. We are very vulnerable as it is today. Just as our oil pipeline was hit , the next crucial blow could be our electric and that would be the most devastating area that would make everyone suffer the most.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:55 AM

25,853 posts, read 16,552,727 times
They’ve tried and failed already. The critical systems are isolated from the public internet by design.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Just yesterday the electric in my area of SW Florida went out.

Because of all this cyber warfare shutting down our pipeline and meat facilities , I was wondering if the electric grid got hit. The power outage lasted 5 minutes. But in the 5 minutes I started to realize how vulnerable we all are without electric.

How prepared are you if they hit our grid and it was for a very long time before we got up and running again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
If you don't want to sleep tonight, pick up "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. It's about an EMP attack on the United States, and let me tell you, this one still haunts me.

Long story short, we have a LOT of people, and that huge number of people can only be supported by modern infrastructure. Without it, well, there will have to be far fewer people.

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, needs to be prepared to last for 3 days without any outside assistance or supplies. Beyond that, it's in God's hands.
I’m watching season 2 of “Black Summer” on Netflix. It’s a Zombie show but if you can ignore that part it’s the most accurate depiction of what happens to humans when they get desperate and how kindness would be the biggest weakness and killer in a terrible situation.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:28 AM

1,603 posts, read 871,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’m watching season 2 of “Black Summer” on Netflix. It’s a Zombie show but if you can ignore that part it’s the most accurate depiction of what happens to humans when they get desperate and how kindness would be the biggest weakness and killer in a terrible situation.

Thanks for the recommend. I just activated Netflix again and will give it a look.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:28 AM

4,922 posts, read 2,066,593 times
OP, I know where you’re coming from with this question and it is a very good question, but “I” think that it should be pointed towards Biden and his administration since this involves a sovereign country, with or without consent from their government.

As for me, I keep enough food and water on hand for at least 2 months and have plenty of “real” books on hand to read, along with enough candles get me through the night. I also live about 1.5 miles from a river, so boiling water for washing and even cooking, isn’t an issue.

I’m hoping to purchase a small generator, with enough wattage to run a small refrigerator. I also keep enough ammunition, 12 gage, 9mm and 5.56mm, on hand to defend my property since in survival situations, people can and will loose their minds.

Honestly, “I” would do OK for at least month or two with my family, but longer if needed. Being a retired Soldier, that served in Combat Arms, “I” know how to survive in most any situation.

Water, dehydrated food items and Spam… Along with a good pistol, are your friends in a bad situation!!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:49 AM

29,548 posts, read 14,693,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I just heard some talk about that show yesterday. I can't believe this series was never on my radar. I will have to check it out this weekend.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I just heard some talk about that show yesterday. I can't believe this series was never on my radar. I will have to check it out this weekend.
Think the Walking Dead without the drama (or cars that start right up after sitting outside for 3 years)

Old 06-18-2021, 07:09 AM

25,852 posts, read 18,870,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
How Ready Are You if Russia Hits Our Electric Grid
I'm more concerned about Biden hitting it. Biden and Friends could do a lot more damage that is long-lasting. Even permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies