Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 08:02 AM

10,123 posts, read 6,486,241 times

Advertisements

Well, if the NG supply is cut, I'm sunk. Otherwise, everything I need in the house can run off the whole house generator. I designed the system that way in preparation for a major disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 08:05 AM

4,517 posts, read 5,078,089 times
I'd worry more about the "environmentalist and climate change" folks shutting down the nuclear, coal and gas generating facilities than the Russians. Using solar and wind exclusively to generate electricity isn't going to provide anywhere near enough power in today's world. Plus they want all electric cars and that will require a LOT more electricity.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:07 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,083,156 times
No problem.

Primary home is powered by hydro owned by the county. They are ready to disconnect from the grid at a moments notice. That will cause problems for western Washington, Oregon and California as substantial amounts of electricity are exported to those areas from the county owned dams.

Second home is 10 miles away. Totally disconnected from the grid. No internet even. Runs on propane and solar. It would be easy to go through the summer. Generator never runs in summer. Winter time the propane tank would last about six months if somebody was living there.

I could always shoot an elk for food.

Food might be the issue if the grid goes down.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:09 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,529,322 times
We have a large generator wired into the house circuit and thirty gallons of fuel stored. We also keep a camp stove, a large supply of propane, and plentiful non-perishable food and water stored. We have a creek we can pump water from and chickens keeping us with eggs and meat if needed.

The planning served us well back in Feb during Snowmageddon and we’ve tweaked and enhanced our supplies since. Luckily we are on a critical circuit due to a fire station in our neighborhood. No excuse though to slack off. A terrorist hit to the system will cause social chaos by day three. We are prepared for 30 days.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:18 AM

17,394 posts, read 12,341,105 times
Having solar panels and battery installed next month. So at a household level, relatively well.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:32 AM

33,595 posts, read 18,231,520 times
I have two generators and some extra gas but if it is long term and I can't get gas for the generator kitchen appliances will go dead.

No TV , no Internet to even know what is going on. I am thinking about getting a radio but don't know if the power grid is hit if there will be any transmission to listen to.

I have central air but have a new AC window air conditioner still in a box in case we have a hurricane and can have at least one room cooled.

Because of our vulnerability and knowing about it , I think we have some thinking to do. Russia could this day be planning to hit our grid to let us know that they can shut us down anytime they want.

No one is telling us we are prepared and they can't hit our grid. This country better get off that race, pronoun, cancel garbage and start taking care of what is truly our vulnerabilities and work on them and let us know we can feel safe .

If they shut down our grid , the US would stop . Factories, offices, businesses, homes, travel, communication, water, food, health care, and much more would be destroyed if we were hit long term. We better get ready!! And our government needs a huge wake up call!!

Old 06-17-2021, 08:51 AM

19,919 posts, read 9,479,206 times
We're good, I think. Generator, wood fireplace and well water, and more than 30 days worth of food.

I would miss the Internet (getting the news), but I think that would be the worst of it UNLESS my husband gets stranded many miles from our home. That would be my worst fear.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:01 AM

33,595 posts, read 18,231,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
We're good, I think. Generator, wood fireplace and well water, and more than 30 days worth of food.

I would miss the Internet (getting the news), but I think that would be the worst of it UNLESS my husband gets stranded many miles from our home. That would be my worst fear.
Well water is run by electric .. one can get a well bucket to bring up water or a water pump if one doesn't have a generator.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:01 AM

17,394 posts, read 12,341,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
If they shut down our grid , the US would stop . Factories, offices, businesses, homes, travel, communication, water, food, health care, and much more would be destroyed if we were hit long term. We better get ready!! And our government needs a huge wake up call!!
A software attack would not be long term. That would have to come in the form of something like an EMP attack. But even that is debatable, not likely to send us into Jessica Alba's Dark Angel scenario.
https://www.wired.com/story/the-grid...lse-just-fine/

Old 06-17-2021, 09:04 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,751,509 times
Lets see..........pretty hardened site, power generation, 60k gallons diesel, @ 5 tons of coal buried out back, private well in hardened facility, + covered access to lake. Trained group with 3 combat vets, + combat medic. Outside food supply. ( More hogs than people in this county) Depends how long it goes but we'll be good for a bit.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies