Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 10:22 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,028,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yes, but unknown until they hit the pipeline.. small potatoes until recently. They are getting bolder and bigger. Now It is WHAT NEXT?
Again, the US is many individual power grids. The whole US would not go down.

Everyone should have plans for at least a month of self sustenance... power, food, etc. Doesn't matter if I is Russians or hurricanes.

And no, it wasn't unknown. It was in the news. The difference? Whether or not people thought it would effect them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 10:29 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,643,940 times
"Those Russians, took all my electricity power to run my car". "Whish we had some fuel, like in the good-old-days, MAX".

Old 06-17-2021, 10:45 PM

8,181 posts, read 3,725,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Are you completely oblivious to the idiocy of a Californian giving Texans grief over the power grid?

You really gotta be several degrees of derp to go there.
The February fiasco was absolutely unexcusable. And as El Paso and Beaumont showed, completely avoidable. Just a little bit more brain and a little bit less greed needed.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:51 PM

15,916 posts, read 6,617,522 times
I keep a hand-cranked emergency radio in my bed stand just so I can listen to the news, assuming some nearby station has a generator. Plus I have a stock of canned food, cold weather gear, and an emergency survival kit. No underground bunker though.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:40 PM

27,224 posts, read 15,401,956 times
So far most of Americans only have toilet paper scarcity training.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:03 AM

34,289 posts, read 19,428,895 times
Im good for about a month. After that its more problematic. On the other hand....I have a unique set of skills that would be in insanely high demand for this one.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:28 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,139,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I have two generators and some extra gas but if it is long term and I can't get gas for the generator kitchen appliances will go dead.

No TV , no Internet to even know what is going on. I am thinking about getting a radio but don't know if the power grid is hit if there will be any transmission to listen to.

I have central air but have a new AC window air conditioner still in a box in case we have a hurricane and can have at least one room cooled.

Because of our vulnerability and knowing about it , I think we have some thinking to do. Russia could this day be planning to hit our grid to let us know that they can shut us down anytime they want.

No one is telling us we are prepared and they can't hit our grid. This country better get off that race, pronoun, cancel garbage and start taking care of what is truly our vulnerabilities and work on them and let us know we can feel safe .

If they shut down our grid , the US would stop . Factories, offices, businesses, homes, travel, communication, water, food, health care, and much more would be destroyed if we were hit long term. We better get ready!! And our government needs a huge wake up call!!

Sent you a PM. The responsible party will be black Op hit squads, the ones that actually run the show. The 535 and presidents are puppets.

Then the puppets can blame “Russia”, “China”, “Iran”, “terrorists” , “NK” , or “aliens”.

Watch Netflix “awake”. Conditioning

Old 06-18-2021, 01:42 AM

18 posts, read 5,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex
Seems like a better question for the self sufficiency and preparedness forum. But you know, being prepared depends a lot on the season and what part of the country you're in.
Yea thats very true...

Scary to think about isnt it but I guess we have to!!

Old 06-18-2021, 04:26 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,334,451 times
I live in Eastern South Dakota and there is wind, natural gas, hydroelectric, and a big field full of transformers around.

I think we'll be fine. The population density out here is low. We produce 100% of our energy within the state. More wind is getting added at an accelerated rate...within 5-10 years the great plains will be a huge exporter of this wind energy. Finally our state is starting to play catch up after lagging states like IA, MN, and TX for some time.

https://www.saurenergy.com/solar-ene...n-u-s-up-by-40

There is more "clean power capacity" under construction right now that we had installed in the entire country in 2015.... these industries have hit their stride and scaled nicely. Kudos to the progressives for jump starting the industry with the subsidies which allowed them to get to this point.

Last edited by sholomar; 06-18-2021 at 04:36 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 04:31 AM

1,608 posts, read 879,055 times
If you don't want to sleep tonight, pick up "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. It's about an EMP attack on the United States, and let me tell you, this one still haunts me.

Long story short, we have a LOT of people, and that huge number of people can only be supported by modern infrastructure. Without it, well, there will have to be far fewer people.

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, needs to be prepared to last for 3 days without any outside assistance or supplies. Beyond that, it's in God's hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies