Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 02:21 PM

17,570 posts, read 9,358,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Just yesterday the electric in my area of SW Florida went out.

Because of all this cyber warfare shutting down our pipeline and meat facilities , I was wondering if the electric grid got hit. The power outage lasted 5 minutes. But in the 5 minutes I started to realize how vulnerable we all are without electric.

How prepared are you if they hit our grid and it was for a very long time before we got up and running again?
We went almost 3 weeks with no power on the Texas Gulf Coast in August, been without power since then for up to 4 days and as little as 4 hours. I guess I survived just fine, and would again. We are used to hurricanes in Texas.

Always prepared for loss of Power and loss of water. I’m guessing enough food for at least a month. I could even bake bread (Green egg). Gas stove, oil lamps, LED lanterns & tons of batteries.

Refrigeration and ice becomes a big issue. Cash becomes an issue, so we have plenty of that on hand.
Loss of water is a bigger issue than loss of power.

As far as Texas power goes - don’t listen to the scare mongers. Grid was a little stressed this week on one day - when it gets really hot, the wind stops blowing & wind turbines quite generating. Add to that, several Nat Gas plants were doing maintenance & the Comanche Creek Nuclear plant had a small fire and had to shut down for repair. It all works in balance. It the summer- if there is a chance of overload …. They shut down the air/power to large buildings shut it down in large companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
No, can’t happen. I mean Biden gave Putin a list of off-limit industries and utilities was on the list. So I’m sure Putin will honor Biden’s list.
Biden said those 16 items were .RED LINES. I couldn’t believe that anyone non thenObama Administration would willingly use the term RED LINE. I guess the world knows now the 16 critical things to hit and knows it’s Open Season on everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 02:32 PM

33,605 posts, read 18,265,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
We went almost 3 weeks with no power on the Texas Gulf Coast in August, been without power since then for up to 4 days and as little as 4 hours. I guess I survived just fine, and would again. We are used to hurricanes in Texas.

Always prepared for loss of Power and loss of water. I’m guessing enough food for at least a month. I could even bake bread (Green egg). Gas stove, oil lamps, LED lanterns & tons of batteries.

Refrigeration and ice becomes a big issue. Cash becomes an issue, so we have plenty of that on hand.
Loss of water is a bigger issue than loss of power.

As far as Texas power goes - don’t listen to the scare mongers. Grid was a little stressed this week on one day - when it gets really hot, the wind stops blowing & wind turbines quite generating. Add to that, several Nat Gas plants were doing maintenance & the Comanche Creek Nuclear plant had a small fire and had to shut down for repair. It all works in balance. It the summer- if there is a chance of overload …. They shut down the air/power to large buildings shut it down in large companies.

Biden said those 16 items were .RED LINES. I couldn’t believe that anyone non thenObama Administration would willingly use the term RED LINE. I guess the world knows now the 16 critical things to hit and knows it’s Open Season on everything else.
If they hit any of the 16, all Putin has to say, I didn't do it.. It was China..

Old 06-17-2021, 02:35 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,638,777 times
Quote:
Some places have back up generators.. hospitals for one but those generators need fuel to run. We run on oil. Without it nothing could move and without electric those EV would be dead too.

We would then look at a bike to travel . We wouldn't care who was a Republican or Democrat. We would all be faced with survival and the largest cities would be in bad shape.. people stuck in high rises. No elevator, no heat or air conditioning.

Looting , people fighting over toilet paper is nothing . It would be a free for all. National guard couldn't even be moved to protect the supermarkets.

We would be totally in the dark of what is going on anywhere . Our minds would starve for information. How long, how bad, what to do, who did this, I have no food left, I need medication. I don't have water. My food all spoiled in the refrigerator. I didn't know how good I had it when I had electric.

I can't call my boss. I have to save my gas so I can't make that commute. My baby needs milk. I am starving and my family is too. What do I do. This is what we would be thinking after just one major utility goes down and we will have no answers.

I want to know how vulnerable we are? Does our government realize that cyberattacks are now acceptable as we already had two. Do we wait until another one and another one to destroy our strength as a nation . I want answers.
Like they know --- this is one of those things that a person can wait around for the government to take care of it, or they can realize there are somethings one must take care of themselves. Also know you can't break any laws to do it. Where energy is provided by utility companies --- there are rules. The more you don't need them the more they will push back that you do --- to follow along I've read some outrageous articles. Woman Faces Jail Time For Growing Vegetable Garden in Her Own Front Lawn

Old 06-17-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
A person can by-pass the automobile by getting on Amazon and ordering up about 1/2 dozen batteries --- you don't even want to know. or learn to make one; again, don't ask.
Most solar panels would shut down too , they would have to be installed with special components to kick in if the power grid went down.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:40 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,909,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I'm more worried about the damage the Harris administration is planning to to to the electrical grid than what Russia might be planning.

Make no mistake, both entities are enemies of the US, but the Harris administration is capable of doing a LOT more damage.
What? How?

Old 06-17-2021, 02:46 PM

8,972 posts, read 2,585,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What? How?
Mao killed 55 million with his Great Leap Forward, I could see similar foolishness with an attempted Green Leap Forward by Chairman Harris.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:47 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,638,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
A person can by-pass the automobile by getting on Amazon and ordering up about 1/2 dozen batteries --- you don't even want to know. or learn to make one; again, don't ask.
Quote:
Most solar panels would shut down too , they would have to be installed with special components to kick in if the power grid went down.
At the present my son is just trying to lower utility costs on electric billing (solar panels) and have lights when the power goes out, 1/2 dozen batteries ... with my COPD I need treatments which calls for electricity and if we need an ambulance, we need a phone. Problem solved. If we didn't live in a rural area, we couldn't have the solar panels, bizarre as it seems, but true. Now if there is what it takes for the solar to kick in, in a power failure, that would be for him to answer, not me. He's the little engineer that should have gone to college. I've tried --- he thinks it would be boring. Go figure.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:35 PM

48,708 posts, read 35,181,558 times
Quote:
Some places have back up generators.. hospitals for one but those generators need fuel to run. We run on oil. Without it nothing could move and without electric those EV would be dead too.

We would then look at a bike to travel . We wouldn't care who was a Republican or Democrat. We would all be faced with survival and the largest cities would be in bad shape.. people stuck in high rises. No elevator, no heat or air conditioning.

Looting , people fighting over toilet paper is nothing . It would be a free for all. National guard couldn't even be moved to protect the supermarkets.

We would be totally in the dark of what is going on anywhere . Our minds would starve for information. How long, how bad, what to do, who did this, I have no food left, I need medication. I don't have water. My food all spoiled in the refrigerator. I didn't know how good I had it when I had electric.

I can't call my boss. I have to save my gas so I can't make that commute. My baby needs milk. I am starving and my family is too. What do I do. This is what we would be thinking after just one major utility goes down and we will have no answers.

I want to know how vulnerable we are? Does our government realize that cyberattacks are now acceptable as we already had two. Do we wait until another one and another one to destroy our strength as a nation . I want answers.
There have been hundreds of cyber attacks. This is nothing new
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-17-2021, 03:56 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,909,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Mao killed 55 million with his Great Leap Forward, I could see similar foolishness with an attempted Green Leap Forward by Chairman Harris.
Okay. I think I now understand the situation here. Good luck to you going forward.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There have been hundreds of cyber attacks. This is nothing new
Yes, but unknown until they hit the pipeline.. small potatoes until recently. They are getting bolder and bigger. Now It is WHAT NEXT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies