Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 01:44 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

Let’s start a list on what shows how remarkable America is, and please include whether you are a Democrat, Republican, or Independent. (I think it would be interesting to see what appeals to whom, based on political leanings.)

There’s a lot to choose from, but I’ll go with this:

1. In America, no matter how poor you are, how uneducated you are, the color of your skin, the religion you follow, your rap sheet and/or criminal convictions, or how obviously guilty you appear to be, you will be provided a lawyer to defend you against a charge, and at no expense. (Republican)

next....

Old 06-29-2021, 01:59 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times
We have the inalienable right to defend ourselves.

This is the greatest manifestation of individual liberty that one can have. If the state doesn't allow an individual to defend their own life, they are a subject of the state, rather than the state being a manifestation of the will of the people.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:31 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Freedom of speech. This is especially important when being able to criticize the government.
This in particular is under attack more than ever; without this freedom, no one is free.

Freedom of worship. Too many billions (?) of people have been and continue to be killed because of their faith or lack thereof.

Also Americans are extremely generous during times of crises.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:36 PM

1,568 posts, read 909,830 times
Even if you are on welfare and carry an EBT card to buy food (and booze and smokes…let’s keep it real here) you are among the richest 25% of humans who ever have lived on this pretty little blue planet.

America…F**k yeah!

Old 06-29-2021, 04:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
I'm in the center.

The fact that most of us are descendants of intentional immigrants (except the Native Americans and those descended from Slaves who came here against their will) makes us an incredibly adventuresome, brave lot. We're a restless people, a can-do population, willing to pick up stakes and set off for something bigger and better, no matter how uncomfortable it will be.

I'm so proud of our lineages. From the Wright Brothers, to Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier, to Neil Armstrong walking on the moon in a span of 60 years, there's nothing we can't do if we put our minds and unified efforts to it.

I'm a big believer in the Nature side of the Nature/Nurture debate, and we descend from generations of badass pioneers, and need to continue to tap into that spirit.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:45 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
The diversity, both culturally/ethnically and geographically.

Miami is so different from Portland, which is so different from Tuscon, which is so different from Hilo, which is nothing like Juno, which is different than New Orleans. In strip malls you come across restaurants Mexican, Chinese, Korean, Greek, Italian, Thai, Vietnamese, Peruvian, Indian, Ethiopian, Turkish, Salvadoran, Venezuelan, Pakistani, German, etc.

I once read a woman from Japan saying the most amazing thing she saw when she came to tourist USA was four airport cops in NYC standing together where one was white, one black, white Asian, and one Latino. In Japan cops look ethnically Japanese. In Mexico cops look Mexican. In India they look Indian. But USA, they look like anything.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:47 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
If you don't like it in one place (geography, climate, culture, etc.) you have many other places to go.

LaRouche

Old 06-29-2021, 04:51 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times
As a Canadian, I like it for all the same reasons that I love Canada and Australia. All three are amazing nations with a ton of both cultural and natural diversity. The sheer beauty of the land at large is something to be cherished.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:58 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Freedom is # 1 - have to keep fighting to keep it.
We have a pretty country compared to many, being clean and beautiful is important to most of us.
It’s a country of opportunity. Might have to leave your back yard, but you can achieve most dreams.
The diversity- some find intolerable- I love seeing, eating, hearing all the difference in my own neck of the woods.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:01 PM

238 posts, read 99,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Freedom of speech.

Except on social media sites like FB and Twitter...

Facebook jail anyone? Trump posts will get you there due to not meeting the FB/Twitter agenda. The FB fact checking police are still trolling for Trump posts even though he left office months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies