Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 08:44 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
smaller scale liquid thorium reactors have generated a lot of interest in the last ten years china and india have shown more interest than the us...
our present nuclear facilities are simply scaled up laboratory designs and rely on keeping 3000psi pressure vessels for containment.
liquid thorium can be designed to "fail safe" and shut down when failing naturaly..there is some problem with getting corrosive effects under control but as i say china and India will solve those issues i am sure...

the complexity of building a "small unit" has been likened to that of an airliner..fusion has always been a pie in the sky future...we have a good way to boost power output now

1. thorium cannot be made into bombs
2. think Iceland as geothermal is a natural thorium reactor

mans overall standard of living will rise and the same old people will complain some are lazy as jobs disappear through automation

There's also been a lot of interest in Thorium.

Although as you rightly point out there are complexities in relation to building such a plant.

Thorium-based nuclear power - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-21-2021 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-21-2021, 08:57 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Yes, something like that here.

The well is solar powered but you better believe it cost me a pretty penny to get it all built. Further, after the blizzard, I had my well people come out and inspect the system just make sure it was all alright.

I am glad to pay such people and keep them in business.

Can't it?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKCN1B51FW
Even if it can't be made into a Fat Man, it appears that it can be a dirty bomb.

Even if it can't go boom, if it is radioactive, it still can cause a lot of problems.
https://culturacolectiva.com/history...clear-accident
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident

thorium is not the preferred method it must first be transformed into U232..thorium is a very common
material world wide every "rare earth" mine throws away thorium into piles of it..

the main selling point is the temperature 600C and pressure are manageable vs 3000psi

we gave china and india all our research for free for them to take the leading edge years ago

Old 06-21-2021, 09:16 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
thorium is not the preferred method it must first be transformed into U232..thorium is a very common
material world wide every "rare earth" mine throws away thorium into piles of it..

the main selling point is the temperature 600C and pressure are manageable vs 3000psi

we gave china and india all our research for free for them to take the leading edge years ago

Like I said, even if one can't make it go boom like the Fat Man, it appears one can still make a heck of a dirty bomb out out it.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:22 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Heat pumps require electric to work though
That's why the company I linked to combines solar with geo, so the ground heat can be used for energy.

By marrying two of the cleanest and greenest energy sources – Solar and GeoExchange – we can pull enough of the sun’s energy indirectly from the ground, a pond, lake or the ocean (geo) and combine it with direct energy from the sun itself (solar) to achieve a NetZero home. This means that you will never have to pay for energy again as you will be getting 100% of your home’s energy needs – including heating, cooling, domestic hot water and all plug load (fridge, stove, lights etc)

https://lockhart.ca/geosolar-exchange/

Old 06-21-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That's why the company I linked to combines solar with geo, so the ground heat can be used for energy.

By marrying two of the cleanest and greenest energy sources – Solar and GeoExchange – we can pull enough of the sun’s energy indirectly from the ground, a pond, lake or the ocean (geo) and combine it with direct energy from the sun itself (solar) to achieve a NetZero home. This means that you will never have to pay for energy again as you will be getting 100% of your home’s energy needs – including heating, cooling, domestic hot water and all plug load (fridge, stove, lights etc)

https://lockhart.ca/geosolar-exchange/

Except that water isn't free. Not really slashing against your company (and hence, not going into environmental details) but rather pointing out that in whatever method is used, there are usually limiting factors that show it is not free.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:55 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Except that water isn't free. Not really slashing against your company (and hence, not going into environmental details) but rather pointing out that in whatever method is used, there are usually limiting factors that show it is not free.
Pure Oxygen isn't free either

Only regular air and sunshine is free for everyone on Earth.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:00 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No cost to you, for electricity.
Would this benefit you?

What if you could have endless energy, without coal, nuclear or hydro-electric?

There is technology to achieve this... will it be unleashed?
Tesla was a very smart dude.
There are no free rides on energy.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:09 AM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Quote:
No cost to you, for electricity.
Would this benefit you?

What if you could have endless energy, without coal, nuclear or hydro-electric?

There is technology to achieve this... will it be unleashed?
Tesla was a very smart dude.
Endless energy means free food - everything can be synthesized out of literally air and water.
Endless energy means free housing - again, everything can be synthesized out of air, any soil and water.
Free food, free housing and free energy means total and absolute freedom of an individual from the society.

Never gonna happen in a capitalist society. Rich people want slaves, so freedom of this type will never be allowed.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Endless energy means free food - everything can be synthesized out of literally air and water.
Endless energy means free housing - again, everything can be synthesized out of air, any soil and water.
Free food, free housing and free energy means total and absolute freedom of an individual from the society.

Never gonna happen in a capitalist society. Rich people want slaves, so freedom of this type will never be allowed.
Not only that but the above statements sound like they were said by those who have never known drought.

Nothing is limitless and that especially applies to water.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:14 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
There is technology to achieve this...
What technology? Please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies